Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney- Overrated?

Comments

• Options
    He thinks he's the focal point of England's team when he appears...Needs to play more selflessly and stop thinking he's England's footballing messiah and we might actually get somewhere
    In fairness to him (not something I like to do but there you are), he's probably been told he's the best player for his age in Liverpool/Lancashire/the country/europe/world since he was about 6 years old. So it's not really all that surprising that he believes this to be the case and has acted accordingly in the past.
  • Options
    he's hit and miss for england mostly, i bet the spudhead loses it tonight if things start getting on top
  • Options
    A good player but a dislikable persona. Is arrogant, treats his wife like shit and has a stupid haicut.
    That's the problem with the England team nowadays; Not many likeable faces (ie. Rooney, Terry, Cole). What happened to the loved players like Gazza, Linekar and Shearer? This is the main reason why the country isn't getting behind the team as much as we used to

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I think he is world class. All you have to do is watch him for Manchester United. I just don't think an England manager has used him in the right way and I don't think he's wanted to work with the likes of Capello.
    The likes of Capello !!!!! As a player you should be pleased to work for whoever pays your collosal wages have decided is to be your manager and for England you should be proud to pull on the shirt at any time. That's the trouble. Rooney and his ilk have for too long thought they have a divine right to play and it's us that should be grateful.
  • Options
    He's definitely over-hyped but you can't argue with his goal record over the past few seasons. Can't stand the sight of him though. He thinks he's the focal point of England's team when he appears, thanks in no small part to the media, and that usually hurts the team as he doesn't play as intelligently (in a footballing sense obviously) as he normally does. If he behaved for United like he has for England Ferguson would haul him off the pitch and give him a rollicking. Needs to play more selflessly and stop thinking he's England's footballing messiah and we might actually get somewhere
    I take it you know the guy personally then?

• Options
    Has he done in the Champions League - Yes
    Has he done it in one of 3 leagues in the world - Yes
    Has he done it on the international scene - Yes, but questionable.

For me that makes him world class, him, Cole and Hart would get in to 14/15 of the other sides at the Euros.
  • Options
    Has he done in the Champions League - Yes
    Has he done it in one of 3 leagues in the world - Yes
    Has he done it on the international scene - Yes, but questionable.

For me that makes him world class, him, Cole and Hart would get in to 14/15 of the other sides at the Euros.
    That is far too simplistic, by that reasoning John terry is world class yet he isn't good enough to lace the boots of other defenders.

Also Hart better than Buffon, Neuer, Casillas? You could even question whether he is better than Cech or Lloris, probably about the same level as those two imo but I think you are over hyping a tad there
  • Options
    If he scores tonight and we win because of that he will be world class...
    if plays and gets a red card and we go out then he will be at the centre of a new 'Beckstype' hate after France 98

I just put a bet on 2-1 Rooney both...so i think he is the dogs b#####ks
  • Options
    over rated - decent enough cog in a good side but not capable of winning games on his own which special players do.
    Agree with this, how many times has Gerrard saved the scousers in a cup final? Doubt Rooney could have command a team in the same way
  • Options
    He's just a very naughty boy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every player is 'overrated' by the press, TV pundits and of course the fans of his club. 90% of what is written and/or spoken about any player is hyperbole, innuendo and good old fashioned bollocks .. Rooney is a VERY VERY good footballer, there is no more that needs to be said, written or digitalised.
  • Options
    I imaging he won't like the idea of his team-mate Welbeck scoring that wonder goal and coming home the new media darling... would put £50 on him scoring tonight, if he's fit!
  • Options
    Going back to the original question yes it would appear so, despite that cracking header from 2 feet
  • Options
    Going back to the original question yes it would appear so, despite that cracking header from 2 feet
    Bloke's not played for weeks.He needs games and tonight was the perfect oppurtunity.Would rather he ease his way into the Ukraine game than the Italy one.

'nother tick for Roy

• Options
    Bloke's not played for weeks.He needs games and tonight was the perfect oppurtunity.Would rather he ease his way into the Ukraine game than the Italy one.

'nother tick for Roy

THIS^^^^
  • Options

'nother tick for Roy

Sorry I don't buy this whole "rusty" thing the commentators kept bringing up about him, it's not like he has been injured and hasn't kicked a ball in a while, he has been there training with the squad so really what's the difference? Would the same be said of one of the backup players on the bench if they play and weren't particularly good? I highly doubt it
  • Options
    He's not overrated by me. I'm perfect, so my rating of him is 100% accurate. :-)
  • Options
    Proved last night that he's far from world class
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't start him tonight as he has done nothing for England in major tournaments since Euro 04.
    oops.
    I think he proved last night that he's been out for 5 weeks and still scored.
  • Options
    I wouldn't start him tonight as he has done nothing for England in major tournaments since Euro 04.
    oops.
    I think he proved last night that he's been out for 5 weeks and still scored.
    How has he been out for 5 weeks? Like I said its not like he was injured, lets be honest he should have scored in the first half and I can only imagine what everyone would have said had it been someone else and as for the goal if it wasn't for two deflections Gerrard's "fantastic" cross was going straight into the keeper's arms.

I don't want to say last night proved he isn't world class as it is only 1 game and no player can be judged on 1 game but equally it doesn't prove he is world class either just because he scored that fortuitous goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't want to say last night proved he isn't world class as it is only 1 game and no player can be judged on 1 game but equally it doesn't prove he is world class either just because he scored that fortuitous goal

Not judging him on one game. Often average. On his day a good player, but not world class. This is only my opinion of course. Gerrard was class last night, as was a Ukrainian winger. If you are world class you should stand out in a high percentage of games.
  • Options
    has he been playing competitive football? No. So he has been out for 5 weeks IMO.

Rooney still had to get in a position and allow for any mistake as any world class striker would.
  • Options
    I get the feeling a lot of you are judging him purely on his performances for England.

"Often average" - Sorry this is Wayne Rooney we are talking about here. Sir Alex and Man United don't build teams around a striker who is 'average'.

Just be honest - a lot of you just don't like the guy and hate to admit his qualities. You would much rather see him put in bad performances as it gives you something else to moan about - 'overpaid, overrated, England this and that' rubbish.
  • Options
    Rooney is a terrific player .. as simple as that
  • Options
    couldn't give a flying if he was poor last night. he scored..we won.

that game will do him the power of good.

• Options
    Yes Rooney is a very good player. World class striker though ? Messi scored 50 La Liga goals plus another 18 (I think) in cups and internationals . That's 68 ! Rooney couldn't count to 68 never mind score that amount of goals. Ronaldo scored 46 La Liga goals and again I think another high teen score in other matches. These are world class strikers and as good as Wayne is he is not on the same planet in goalscoring terms.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2012
    I don't get that logic though SHG, are you saying there are only two world class strikers playing currently?
  • Options
    If he scores tonight and we win because of that he will be world class...
    if plays and gets a red card and we go out then he will be at the centre of a new 'Beckstype' hate after France 98

i was right about my own quote
  • Options
    I get the feeling a lot of you are judging him purely on his performances for England.

"Often average" - Sorry this is Wayne Rooney we are talking about here. Sir Alex and Man United don't build teams around a striker who is 'average'.

Just be honest - a lot of you just don't like the guy and hate to admit his qualities. You would much rather see him put in bad performances as it gives you something else to moan about - 'overpaid, overrated, England this and that' rubbish.
    So are you saying we shouldn't include his performances for England? Surely a world class player would be able to show their qualities on the world stage? I don't like the guy but there are many footballers I don't particularly like but gladly admit they are very good players. Arguably he is the best/most talented English player at the moment, just because of that fact it does not make him world class, imo we have produced very few world class players over the past 15 years or so.

• Options
    I'm almost certain Rooney will be England's all-time top goalscorer at some point.