Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney- Overrated?

Comments

• Options
    If he wouldn't have acted like a twat and got sent off against Montenegro he may have been spoke about more highly this tournement. I suppose his only young and has only 10 years of experience under his belt.
    Was just about to post this, Rooney can have no excuses - he brought his lack of games upon himself.

Why does no England manager have the balls to take him off?

Carroll was strong when he came on but had no runners playing off him.

• Options
    Yes - end of
  • Options
    he's never done it at a major tournament, except when he burst onto the scene. I think against the germans he would have been sharper. But Germany would've destroyed us
  • Options
    I actually thought he was a lot better tonight than against Ukraine. Some of his link up play in the first half was very decent.
  • Options
    Did any else notice the reference to the "shinner" tonight btw? You know, the one that proved he was world class...
  • Options
    he's never done it at a major tournament, except when he burst onto the scene. I think against the germans he would have been sharper. But Germany would've destroyed us
    Agreed, they would have done us 3-0 at least, I can't see the Italians keeping them out either.

Spain v Germany final, come on the Krauts!
  • Options
    Once again he flattered to deceive. Would give anything to know where these "world-class" credentials are hiding.
  • Options
    Rooney is not world class.....Pirlo best player on field by far
  • Options
    Every player is 'overrated' by the press, TV pundits and of course the fans of his club. 90% of what is written and/or spoken about any player is hyperbole, innuendo and good old fashioned bollocks .. Rooney is a VERY VERY good footballer, there is no more that needs to be said, written or digitalised.
    This
  • Options
    He was last week, he isn't any more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rooney and Young were shocking last night,
    And yes Rooney is well overated, but give these players a united shirt, and i'm sure there deliver, absolute joke !
  • Options
    And yes Rooney is well overated, but give these players a united shirt, and i'm sure there deliver, absolute joke !
    Couldn't agree more.
    Young was awful all tournament and Rooney should never have started ahead of Carroll and Welbeck
  • Options
    Ok I take it back he was shite last night
  • Options
    Rooney was just about as good as he was in the last tournament.
  • Options
    If Rooney is world class and there are plenty who would say he is then I suggest he takes a long hard look at himself in the mirror because that performance not for the first time was not anywhere near good enough in terms of fitness, application and attitude.
  • Options
    If Rooney is world class and there are plenty who would say he is then I suggest he takes a long hard look at himself in the mirror because that performance not for the first time was not anywhere near good enough in terms of fitness, application and attitude.
    Add to that ball control, judgement, passing, finishing !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Rooney hasbn't produced anything at major tournaments since he burst onto the international scene at Euro 2004 when he was sensational. Last night he was dire and at this stage of his career he wouldn't get anywhere near a World eleven.
  • Options
    Last night should have summed up the difference between World Class and non-World Class footballers. In the first half Rooney was ok and his control was good, he did a couple of good flicks. Pirlo was also ok, passed well when he got the ball but neither was influencing the game that much. Come the second half Pirlo noticed this and dropped deeper and deeper until he was just in front of his back four. This meant that the midfield and the attack needed to make a decision over who would pick him up as he was in the no-man's land between them. Typically the decision was 'neither' and Pirlo suddenly gained control of the game, sprayed ridiculously accurate passes around and dragged our players all over the pitch, creating openings and tiring them out. If Balotelli had been anywhere near halfway useful last night the game never would have gone to penalties. Pirlo only stopped running the game when Carroll came on and starting chasing Pirlo down in his loveably useless way. Carroll didn't get the ball off him but it tired Pirlo out a bit more and some of his passes started going astray. Contrast Pirlo's decision to change his game with Rooney - Rooney was isolated in attack and stayed that way. He didn't drop any deeper and pick up the ball and didn't have any good movement to draw defenders. Then, when Carroll came on Rooney needed to line up his runs with Carroll as the lummox was winning every single high ball that came near him. Rooney did not, so Carroll's headers were wasted.

That for me is the difference between a World Class player like Pirlo and Rooney, A World Class player can step up on the big stage and make a change to the team that wins a game and do it consistently. Too often Rooney fades out or is marked out of contention. If Rooney could impose himself in these kind of scenarios I'd gladly say he was World Class. Instead last night I was wishing we'd bring Defoe on. Defoe.
  • Options
    Nowhere near world class. Proved it last night......Yet again!!!
  • Options
    Last night should have summed up the difference between World Class and non-World Class footballers. In the first half Rooney was ok and his control was good, he did a couple of good flicks. Pirlo was also ok, passed well when he got the ball but neither was influencing the game that much. Come the second half Pirlo noticed this and dropped deeper and deeper until he was just in front of his back four. This meant that the midfield and the attack needed to make a decision over who would pick him up as he was in the no-man's land between them. Typically the decision was 'neither' and Pirlo suddenly gained control of the game, sprayed ridiculously accurate passes around and dragged our players all over the pitch, creating openings and tiring them out. If Balotelli had been anywhere near halfway useful last night the game never would have gone to penalties. Pirlo only stopped running the game when Carroll came on and starting chasing Pirlo down in his loveably useless way. Carroll didn't get the ball off him but it tired Pirlo out a bit more and some of his passes started going astray. Contrast Pirlo's decision to change his game with Rooney - Rooney was isolated in attack and stayed that way. He didn't drop any deeper and pick up the ball and didn't have any good movement to draw defenders. Then, when Carroll came on Rooney needed to line up his runs with Carroll as the lummox was winning every single high ball that came near him. Rooney did not, so Carroll's headers were wasted.

That for me is the difference between a World Class player like Pirlo and Rooney, A World Class player can step up on the big stage and make a change to the team that wins a game and do it consistently. Too often Rooney fades out or is marked out of contention. If Rooney could impose himself in these kind of scenarios I'd gladly say he was World Class. Instead last night I was wishing we'd bring Defoe on. Defoe.
    Great post, harsh on Carroll though!

I feel that, used in the right way, he could be perfect for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Carroll did ok, unlike against Sweden we did not play any balls to him that enabled him to hurt the Italians. Rooney was a risk, but once he did not come off he should have come off, the only excuse for keeping him on would be that all the subs had been used up in replacing Milner, a tired Parker and Ashley Young - who after three poor poor games should have been benched after Ukraine.
  • Options
    Played with 10 men last night and i'm afraid hodgson bottled what needed doing and that was to get Rooney off. He cannot play or affect a game when the team is foraging and playing on the break. He was an utter waste of space and once Welbeck went off i couldn't see how we could score a goal as no mobility up front. Harry Redknapp hit the nail on the head in the paper - we have to concentrate on bringing througfh midfield ball players. In my opinion we've only had 2 in last 20 years - Gascoine and Scholes. Back to topic though - Rooney, overated? Yes, well over rated.
  • Options
    Ronaldo diving header, back of the net. Rooney comparable chance, over the bar.

Mind you Rooney did score a superb goal at the Valley for Everton when he was about 18
  • Options
    Some harsh comments on here, he did a lot more chasing than he previously has done in an England shirt and I am by no means his biggest fan.

The main problem was he was nowhere near match fit. He was carrying a knock at the end of United's season and the long break, lack of friendly game time and missing the first two games left him undercooked. Not 90 minutes fit, let alone 120 minutes.
  • Options
    Has there ever been a player who has had more excuses made for his underperforming than Rooney? Not all his fault but given the style of football we were playing, he offers very little - the Italians were able to go up a gear and we couldn't maintain the gear we were in - they were just better and unfortunately in internationals we cannot buy in the ball players that we just dont have and thats just about all there is to it. Even when we won the world cup in 66, we didn't have any ball players in midfield really - its just not (as Lawrenson said inh commentary last night which was actually quite profound) generally in our DNA. We like to hump it and then chase it, which is why is probably why we always tire so much quicker than other teams as well.
  • Options
    I don't think Young has been that great for United this year either, Valencia was by far their most effective wide player.
  • Options
    Rooney & Young and even Milner were all shite.

Rooney I thought would come out all guns blazing to prove himself... He proved me wrong.

Young is not good enough.

Milner has lost that all heart attitude and jogs about never really doing anything great.

We needed Walcott and Adam Johnson on the wings in my opinion.

Who replaces Rooney though?
  • Options
    Milner is carrying too much upper body weight to play in any other position other than centre forward. Wants to get off the weights and onto a treadmill.
  • Options
    Milner is carrying too much upper body weight to play in any other position other than centre forward. Wants to get off the weights and onto a treadmill.
    Not god enough at that level. Not his fault, but the manager's for picking him

• Options
    Rooney was not match fit and left to chase causes he shouldn't be chasing given his fitness. However, his touch, vision and ability to change play and games leaves me feeling that 8 years ago he was World Class and now, he's not got the attitude or confidence or ability to be that player he was as a teenager.

Playing with 8 men doesn't help! Young, Milner and Welbeck should be nowhere near the England team. Play Carroll, Walcott and Oxlade- Chamberlain and let pace and power frighten opposition.

Drop Rooney deeper and have Carroll feed headers to Walcott and Ox as willing runners and have Rooney sit in the gap between Gerrard and Parker.

But then again - what do I know?! I mean - look at all the teams in the semi's in the Euros - they all play rigid 4-4-2 formations ....