Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney- Overrated?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Dont know why people think he is going to come on and run the show every game, he is not that type of player, thats what gerrards for.

Welbeck deserved to keep his position
  • Options
    If he scores tonight and we win because of that he will be world class...
    if plays and gets a red card and we go out then he will be at the centre of a new 'Beckstype' hate after France 98

i was right about my own quote
    Nope Rooney played shite but got in the right positions. Had he got a red card my opinion would be no different other than he made a Stupid decision/mistake.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Also Ronaldo and Messi play in la liga, which even they would admit is an easier league with easier opponents.

Ronaldo isn't a striker either he is a winger and is the best all round player in the world. Even he managed to look shite the game before last, but got in all the right positions and couldnt score.

Messi is the second best player in the world in my opinion but easily the best striker and finisher.

Seeing as these are the two best players in the world it's not exactly fair to compare Rooney, playing in a tougher leagueair is impossible to tell if he is of a similar ability.

Rooney I would say is in the top 10-20 players world wide and top 5 strikers worldwide.

If you disagree give me 4 other strikers (Messi will be top of everyones striker list) who offer more as an all round striker than Wayne.
  • Options
    I get the feeling a lot of you are judging him purely on his performances for England.

"Often average" - Sorry this is Wayne Rooney we are talking about here. Sir Alex and Man United don't build teams around a striker who is 'average'.

Just be honest - a lot of you just don't like the guy and hate to admit his qualities. You would much rather see him put in bad performances as it gives you something else to moan about - 'overpaid, overrated, England this and that' rubbish.
    So are you saying we shouldn't include his performances for England? Surely a world class player would be able to show their qualities on the world stage? I don't like the guy but there are many footballers I don't particularly like but gladly admit they are very good players. Arguably he is the best/most talented English player at the moment, just because of that fact it does not make him world class, imo we have produced very few world class players over the past 15 years or so.

Also to add, Messi still hasn't produced on the Top International Stage too.
    26 goals & 21 assists in 70 games for the Argies is not bad.

Rooney has 28 goals from 74 games.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    overall...
  • Options
    If he scores tonight and we win because of that he will be world class...
    if plays and gets a red card and we go out then he will be at the centre of a new 'Beckstype' hate after France 98

i was right about my own quote
    Nope Rooney played shite but got in the right positions. Had he got a red card my opinion would be no different other than he made a Stupid decision/mistake.

Overall nobody really went above and beyond...Rooney scored we won because of that...end of really.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    True but he's not just world class cos he scored!

Oh I also think he is a complete knob... But a world class one he is too.

• Options
    Great player who would get in most top flight clubs' teams but would not get in a 22 man squad of world class players.

• Options
    "Rooney, wow! Rooney is extraordinary, he could play for Barcelona. And before people imagine headlines like "Xavi says Rooney to join Barcelona" – although, I'd love him to! – what I mean is that he's our kind of player." - Xavi Interview

That being said, I thought he was a total embaressment of a footballer at the world cup. Truly awful.
  • Options
    Also Ronaldo and Messi play in la liga, which even they would admit is an easier league with easier opponents.

Ronaldo isn't a striker either he is a winger and is the best all round player in the world. Even he managed to look shite the game before last, but got in all the right positions and couldnt score.

Messi is the second best player in the world in my opinion but easily the best striker and finisher.

Seeing as these are the two best players in the world it's not exactly fair to compare Rooney, playing in a tougher leagueair is impossible to tell if he is of a similar ability.

Rooney I would say is in the top 10-20 players world wide and top 5 strikers worldwide.

If you disagree give me 4 other strikers (Messi will be top of everyones striker list) who offer more as an all round striker than Wayne.
    That is a very, very big call to say that La Liga is an easier league than the EPL.

I think that the EPL is probably a far better league for strikers to play in than most others.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    David Villa
    Didier Drogba
    Aguero
    Tevez
    Van Persie
    Neymar

Would start all of them ahead of Rooney in my opinion.

• Options
    I thought Messi was more of a midfielder than striker.

Oh well.
  • Options
    People seem to have this idea that 'World class' means you have to be in the top 2-3 in that position. It doesn't.

It means you are good enough to take your trade across the world and I would suggest stand a chance a good chance of getting in the squad of 80% of the big European clubs. Just because somebody wouldn't get in the Barcelona team doesn't mean they're not world class.

Players like Messi and Christiano Ronaldo are BEYOND World-Class. You're at a level there where you are talking about two of the greatest players of all time who are in an untouchable league of their own. You could even deem them as 'exceptions' to the norm. It's unfair to make comparisons I think.
  • Options
    I thought Messi was more of a midfielder than striker.

Oh well.
    It's the EU's fault Len....they reclassified the definition of a striker to the new metric system recently in Brussells ;-)
  • Options
    I think in a league were the top two score over 200 goals between them, I would describe it as a poorer league, the Premier League is a more competitive league.
  • Options
    I wouldn't start him tonight as he has done nothing for England in major tournaments since Euro 04.
    oops.
    Proved last night that he's far from world class
    I think he proved last night that he's been out for 5 weeks and still scored.
    I wouldn't say oops at all. Yeah he scored but my Nan could've scored that and apart from the goal he was one of our worst players on the pitch.
  • Options

Pretty strong teams in la liga, real, athletic Madrid, valencia, Seville, Bilbao (same team that showed united up in Europa) Barca.

I don't think Rooney is world class,
  • Options
    Put it this way, how many teams have a genuine chance of finishing in the top 2 next year in the premiership, how many in La Liga? I'd say you're guaranteed Real and Barca as the top 2 in Spain, whilst I can see 3 or 4 teams battling it out for the top 2 places in England.
  • Options
    I wouldn't start him tonight as he has done nothing for England in major tournaments since Euro 04.
    oops.
    I wouldn't say oops at all. Yeah he scored but my Nan could've scored that and apart from the goal he was one of our worst players on the pitch.
    Would your man have hot in that position?
  • Options
    *got in that position?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 manchester teams, followed by chelsea
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    colthe3rd:
    Sorry I don't buy this whole "rusty" thing the commentators kept bringing up about him, it's not like he has been injured and hasn't kicked a ball in a while, he has been there training with the squad so really what's the difference? Would the same be said of one of the backup players on the bench if they play and weren't particularly good? I highly doubt it
    From my recollection, every single time Rooney has missed a run of games, he's taken 3-4 games to get back to the level of sharpness he is capable of. It's not a coicidence that he hadn't scored in '06 or '10. For instance, I reckon if he'd played the last two games, he'd have done something with the chance late on when he was played through by Wellbeck. Either a clever flick to Walcott, or excellent first touch for a shot.
  • Options
    oops.
    He also played shite. "Oops."
    Gerrard is carrying this team at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I get the feeling a lot of you are judging him purely on his performances for England.

"Often average" - Sorry this is Wayne Rooney we are talking about here. Sir Alex and Man United don't build teams around a striker who is 'average'.

Just be honest - a lot of you just don't like the guy and hate to admit his qualities. You would much rather see him put in bad performances as it gives you something else to moan about - 'overpaid, overrated, England this and that' rubbish.
    Surely that's the point? Judging on his performances for England helps to ascertain his world-class credentials. And the fact that he has flattered to deceive for his country in the last eight years has allowed the majority on here to arrive at the conclusion that, while he may be in sumptuous form for Man United, it still doesn't mean he is world-class. Surely world-class players deliver against world-class opposition. Has Rooney? That's the debate.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Posting without reading mostly. I think he's world class. He just never shows it on the world stage. As many have said he has not shown that quality since 04, which is a pretty poor record. For club he is superb most of the time, and would definitely ge tin almost all the top flight clubs in the world. However, i still think he's overrated. Just because he's no Messi, and can't do something magical and completely embarass a team, or carry a team on his own, like Becks did for like 5 years.

He should be in the England team, and id love to see him come out on sunday and prove all the doubters wrong that he really is the incredible player that he can be. But I don't think it will happen. Maybe next tournament. If we're lucky...
  • Options
    A bit like the football equivilent of Cheryl Cole isn't he: the record's good but then you see a live performance....
  • Options
    Posting without reading mostly. I think he's world class. He just never shows it on the world stage. As many have said he has not shown that quality since 04, which is a pretty poor record. For club he is superb most of the time, and would definitely ge tin almost all the top flight clubs in the world. However, i still think he's overrated. Just because he's no Messi, and can't do something magical and completely embarass a team, or carry a team on his own, like Becks did for like 5 years.

He should be in the England team, and id love to see him come out on sunday and prove all the doubters wrong that he really is the incredible player that he can be. But I don't think it will happen. Maybe next tournament. If we're lucky...
    ???? How can he be world class if he never shows it on " a world stage" ?
    No sorry not world class.......unless of course he scores 4 against Italy in which case he wil be. Well maybe!
  • Options

Surely that's the point? Judging on his performances for England helps to ascertain his world-class credentials. And the fact that he has flattered to deceive for his country in the last eight years has allowed the majority on here to arrive at the conclusion that, while he may be in sumptuous form for Man United, it still doesn't mean he is world-class. Surely world-class players deliver against world-class opposition. Has Rooney? That's the debate.
    You've got to keep in mind that since 2004 he's played in maybe 6-7 tournament matches for England? I don't know the exact number but I just think it is unfair to look at those games and determine whether somebody is world class or not based on that alone.

I can't think of a player on the international scene who right now is just as good for their country as they are for their club, especially in an attacking sense.

• Options
    What exactly is "World Class"? People are forever banging on about it; whether certain players are world class or not. I haven't got a chuffing clue what it means (and I suspect from the diversity opinions on who is and who isn't world class, no-one else has either).
  • Options
    Well who really knows but to me it means to able to perform consistently at a high level on the world stage. Having a stormer against Bolton or West Bromwich Albion does not make one world class. IMO only Gerrard and Ashley Cole get anywhere near this level