Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney- Overrated?

Comments

• Options
    Why do people keep talking about the international competitions being the world stage? Considering the best players in the world play in Europe, the Champions League is a world stage and you'll face better teams there than you will in an international tournament.
  • Options
    He may have a lot of games where he doesnt show as much quality as the media portrays and in that sense he is overrated. The fact that he scored the other night has hidden the pretty poor performance he had, to a certain extent. This has happened before like the overhead kick he scored against city. I understand how this angers people because the back pages rarely mentions the poor performance of Rooney, and instead, they only talk about the goal. Goals and moments of brilliance are what many midfielders/attackers are judged on by the media. Although, having said all that, surely he has shown enough evidence to prove he is a world class player (one that ranks with the best in the world). Other parts of his game such as his creativity and composure are top draw. He may not show it every time he plays, but who does? He wouldn't be the first name on sir Alex's team sheet if he wasnt a world class player.
  • Options
    The goal he scored against Man city season before last (I think) was probably the best goal I've seen in my lifetime, certainly top 3.

I think he's a class act and should always be our first striker named on the team sheet. Are there better in the world? Yes undoubtedly. For England? No
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The goal he scored against Man city season before last (I think) was probably the best goal I've seen in my lifetime, certainly top 3.

I think he's a class act and should always be our first striker named on the team sheet. Are there better in the world? Yes undoubtedly. For England? No
    What, the one that came off his shin? Each to their own I suppose.
  • Options

What, the one that came of his shin? Each to their own I suppose.
    Does it matter? It was an unstoppable finish. The aim of the game is to put the ball in the net, and with that overhead kick he did it pretty convincingly.

If Yann Kermorgant had scored that we wouldn't dare be talking about how it came off his shin, would we?

99% of players wouldn't even think about attempting an overhead kick in a situation like that. If a goal like that doesn't demonstrate world-class ability then I don't know what does.
  • Options
    Was Trevor Sinclair world class then? His was an overhead kick that was as sweet as you like.
  • Options
    Was Trevor Sinclair world class then? His was an overhead kick that was as sweet as you like.
    Jonaton Johansson managed two against Exeter in the FA Cup....
  • Options

Does it matter? It was an unstoppable finish. The aim of the game is to put the ball in the net, and with that overhead kick he did it pretty convincingly.

If Yann Kermorgant had scored that we wouldn't dare be talking about how it came off his shin, would we?

99% of players wouldn't even think about attempting an overhead kick in a situation like that. If a goal like that doesn't demonstrate world-class ability then I don't know what does.
    I agree with Bournemouth here, was an absolute shinner, fair play for getting up and making contact but don't think it can be classed as one of the great goals for that reason
  • Options

Was it better than RVP's Shinner vs the red South London club?
  • Options

Was it better than RVP's Shinner vs the red South London club?
    lol. You may have picked up I have a thing about people getting over excited about spectacular looking goals that in most cases would have missed by miles if they didn't have a healthy dollop of luck to go with it.

I fear in Welbecks goal we have another case in point too ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree.
    I think RVP's is one of the best lucky goals ever. If not the best.
  • Options
    Had another look at it on YouTube BA and have changed my opinion, I now think its probably the best goal of all time
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It was a bloody good goal but that goal was a carbon copy of a goal i saw in the conference south a couple of years ago.

also Doncaster scored a goal similar a couple of seasons ago.

and muzzy izzets volly for Leicester.

• Options
    No but Wayne Rooney isn't known for just that overhead kick. I hadn't even thought about it during this discussion until it was mentioned.

I would class his volley against Newcastle when he was about 18-19 as even better but it seems to have been forgotten by many.
  • Options
    Or his first senior goal against Arsenal.
  • Options

I agree with Bournemouth here, was an absolute shinner, fair play for getting up and making contact but don't think it can be classed as one of the great goals for that reason
    Word out my mouth. Didn't connect with the ball like he wanted so it was extremely fortunate to find the top corner. That can't be argued. World-class good fortune perhaps, I've seen far better goals and players.
  • Options
    No but Wayne Rooney isn't known for just that overhead kick. I hadn't even thought about it during this discussion until it was mentioned.

I would class his volley against Newcastle when he was about 18-19 as even better but it seems to have been forgotten by many.
    Eh? You were arguing that that particular goal was evidence that he had World Class ability ("If a goal like that doesn't demonstrate world-class ability then I don't know what does...") and I suggested just one of the many, many better goals that have been scored as the counterbalance to this view i.e it's not evidence of that at all, as many 'average' players have scored much better. IMO of course.
  • Options
    Excellent at Premiership level.

Average at international level.

I personally wouldn't have even taken him to the tournament taking into account his suspension.
  • Options

Eh? You were arguing that that particular goal was evidence that he had World Class ability ("If a goal like that doesn't demonstrate world-class ability then I don't know what does...") and I suggested just one of the many, many better goals that have been scored as the counterbalance to this view i.e it's not evidence of that at all, as many 'average' players have scored much better. IMO of course.
    Peter Crouch's goal v Man City was better. So he must be world class too.

• Options
    Peter Crouch's goal was a thumping shot which many footballers have done over the years from all different levels.

An overhead kick like Rooney's was a very unique goal, there aren't many like it cropping up too often.

A striker is judged by the goals he scores - Rooney usually scores a lot, often of high quality. I don't really see where the argument is.

So his goal against Ukraine was a simple tap in? So what? Would you rather he had stopped it dead and taken it back twenty yards?

I remember when BWP scored the promotion goal at Carlisle and everyone on here was going mad about how intelligent and intuitive it was!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peter Crouch's goal was a thumping shot which many footballers have done over the years from all different levels.

An overhead kick like Rooney's was a very unique goal, there aren't many like it cropping up too often.

A striker is judged by the goals he scores - Rooney usually scores a lot, often of high quality. I don't really see where the argument is.

So his goal against Ukraine was a simple tap in? So what? Would you rather he had stopped it dead and taken it back twenty yards?

I remember when BWP scored the promotion goal at Carlisle and everyone on here was going mad about how intelligent and intuitive it was!
    The problem is some seasons (like the one just gone) he can be prolific, others not so much. For me a striker should be consistent over a number of seasons to be considered world class, he is sometimes a scorer of great goals and sometimes a great goal scorer, add to that he is English and plays for Manchester United and that is why imo he is over rated.
  • Options
    Not world class. The only thing that would convince me otherwise would be if Rooney's performance were to be match changing on a big tournament stage. In other words influential in us beating Italy, Germany? or Spain/Portugal. A good example of this was Ronaldo's performance against the Czech's, that's world class.
  • Options
    So, we still haven't actually defined what this whole 'world class' thing actually is. If we are talking about strikers who consistently deliver at club and international level to a very high standard then I'm assuming you lot only think Ronaldo and Messi are world class?
  • Options
    So, we still haven't actually defined what this whole 'world class' thing actually is. If we are talking about strikers who consistently deliver at club and international level to a very high standard then I'm assuming you lot only think Ronaldo and Messi are world class?
    Not just talking about strikers Tom, but yes think Rooney's way down the list (though not really on it!) Hope to be proved wrong within the next week or two

• Options
    Villa, Gomez?
  • Options
    Think it's fair to say he was disapointing. World class ? Not in my book. Would struggle to get into world top fifty.
  • Options
    If he had played the first 2 games I think we would have seen a more Rooney like Rooney tonight.
  • Options
    Pirlo = World Class.

Rooney = Not in his class.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Roy made the mistake in having him there. he made an even bigger mistake leaving him on in tonight's match. for someone who has as much talent as Rooney does he was the worst player out there for us. disgrace.
    fitness - he was out of the game by the 15 minute.
    over rated - well this tournament hasn't helped him much in stopping that belief by some of us.
  • Options
    If he wouldn't have acted like a twat and got sent off against Montenegro he may have been spoke about more highly this tournement. I suppose his only young and has only 10 years of experience under his belt.