Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2012 | Quarter Final | England vs. Italy | 19.45 | Match Preview & Predictions & Reaction

Comments

• Options
    Thank f*******ck were ouuuuuttttttttt garbage , Now back to there mansions....
  • Options
    Agree that we should keep faith with Roy and our players.
    But can we all now acknowledge that Wayne Rooney is NOT 'world class'. He's a decent premier league player. That's it.
  • Options
    Panenka!
    Di Canio!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In all honesty it's the same old problem that we've had for years and it won't change soon. Our players even the quality ones are technically not as good as other nationalities. First touch and passing and movement is pedestrian and results in inability to keep possession.
    Agree completely. Not sure it'll change. In a couple of weeks the Premier league will resume and 99% of supporters won't care if their clubs are developing English talent or not. Worrying about this for a month every two years won't change anything.
  • Options
    To be fair. Cashley cole usually has a brilliant penalty on him and don't blame him for taking one. The 2 he scored in the champs finals were class pens so he has the confidence to take them and usually sticks them away. He hit the target but unfortunately it wasn't good enough. Defo best left back in the world as much as I don't like the bloke.
  • Options
    Like Hansen just said, organisation and togetherness can only get you so far.
    We are woefully lacking in technique, invention and quality.
    With the players at his disposal I think Roy has actually overachieved in this tournament.
    Wish I could say the future looks rosy.
  • Options
    That's been our level for years and in fact we did well with quite a few inexperienced players in the squad.

As SHG said we don't have the technical ability (and intelligence) that the top sides do. Think Hodgson was right to play cautious football, we did the same last season, England just can't create or take enough chances v the better sides.

Won't have a go at players for not taking penalties. We don't know who was happy to take one or who was going to take the 5th one.
  • Options
    Why didn't Carroll step up an take one? oh well the better team won
    The first five made sense. All taken penalties for their clubs regularly, bar Cole, who was previously regarded a safe bet as a taker having scored in several previous shoot outs. I thought Carroll was excellent tonight, given the circumstances.
  • Options
    Poor pen from Cole, can't blame Young really.

Excuse my ignorance but what position does Pirla play in ? We got nowhere near him.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Amazes me the space and time Pirlo was given. England do their homework when they aren't playing...and anyone who knows an ounce about Italian football knows Pirlo is their main and most important player. He is the only one that makes things happen. So why wasn't someone shadowing him? Completely take him out the game!!!

Not good enough I'm afraid but we were better value for money than in south africa I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whose mansions ?

• Options
    If Ashley Cole was as good at penaltys as he was at alledgy having jermaine pennants mobile phone inserted up his arse (according to t'internet) we would have won.
    You obviously haven't seen his previous pens for England and Chelsea then???

Very unlike him tonight. Usually superb from 12 yards out.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who thought Ashley Young had a dreadful tournament. Last person I would ever want to take a penalty. How did he get picked for all the games. Also James Milner was pretty dire throughout. We should have played Walcott and Oxade-Chamberlain in every game!
  • Options
    eh?
  • Options
    In all honesty it's the same old problem that we've had for years and it won't change soon. Our players even the quality ones are technically not as good as other nationalities. First touch and passing and movement is pedestrian and results in inability to keep possession.
    Agree completely. Not sure it'll change. In a couple of weeks the Premier league will resume and 99% of supporters won't care if their clubs are developing English talent or not. Worrying about this for a month every two years won't change anything.
    Really good point there. By the time the season starts Sky and MOTD will be pumping out the usual tripe about us having world class players running right through the team and everyone will carry on with their head up their bum and their brain in neutral.
  • Options
    It will change in a couple of years.
    The difference being we won't be playing in the finals.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Deserved, lack of talent on pitch and well to negative tactics.

Given everyone we have played against so much time on the ball and so much space.
    As soon as Carroll and Walcott come on, practically gave up matching them on the ball and hoped for a lucky long ball

Who the fack would bring Henderson on. The Ox would have had more influence than Walcott
    Ashley Young poor tournament.

Rooney Overrated, Milner not doing the only thing hes good at (working)

==========

Going to be a long long long long time before we do anything at international level

Buzzing for Ukraine in September tho..

• Options
    Really good point there. By the time the season starts Sky and MOTD will be pumping out the usual tripe about us having world class players running right through the team and everyone will carry on with their head up their bum and their brain in neutral.
    Problem is we have the best league in the world, but one of the worst national team
  • Options
    We defended well and the team should get some credit for stopping them from scoring, but there was very little threat going forward (none in the second half) and there's no doubts that the better team won. I'd have liked to see us run at them as they didn't look very comfortable with that early on, but there wasn't the spark to have a go after half time. I'm not sure that Caroll is the right sort of forward for backs-to-the-wall games like that; he looked good the other night when we were attacking, but I don't think he's got the quality to unlock a defence on his own. In theory, Rooney is the man with that sort of magic in his armoury, but it just never looked like coming off.

As for the positives, we did better than anyone thought we would, Roy will do well for us as a manager and an Italian win has inspired me to open a bottle of Limoncello.
  • Options
    rooney was embarassing in extra time. Everytime he got it he was practically passing it back to them without a care in the world, just didn't want to be near the ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roy the boy should have freshened up the side from the kick off, Just like the kraut manager luuurrrvvve , get that crap young OUT... Going backwards for brazil. England players back home to theyre own mansions , Total b******s....
  • Options
    I think the nation needs to be honest with itself. We've got the most intriguing and well marketed (didnt say "best" deliberately) domestic league on earth. Do we really care how the national team does ? Is the desire really there ? The oft quoted idea that an influx of foreign players would improve English players hasn't really worked - most leagues in Europe have restrictions on foreign players per team/squad etc. if it was decided that was the way to improve the national team, but to the detriment of the domestic league, is that something you'd want to see ?
  • Options
    Gutted but expected.

Good effort and did well to get that far but not in the same class as the remaining teams.

Still, proud of the players and Roy has shut up a lot of people including myself this tournament with putting out an organised and spirited team.

Would have been daylight robbery if we had nicked it but cruel to go out on penalties again.

Need to really sort out our game at grass roots level if we are ever to be serious contenders at this level.

Roll on august.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    ... Just like the kraut manager luuurrrvvve....
    Jeez, is this 1944 or something?
    ...England players back home to theyre own mansions , Total b******s....
    Would they have been "total b******s" if they'd won?
  • Options
    Am I the only one not that gutted? I wouldn't swap a league win against Birmingham over England winning Euro 2012
  • Options
    Roy the boy should have freshened up the side from the kick off, Just like the kraut manager luuurrrvvve , get that crap young OUT... Going backwards for brazil. England players back home to theyre own mansions , Total b******s....
    Stop banging on about mansions!!!

Hodgson done close to the best with what he had IMO. I think he got it slightly wrong with his gameplan re Pirlo but over the tournament he did well with the players.
    His job as national manager starts now. He needs to get us keeping the ball better during WC qualifications as chasing the ball for 90mins in Brazilian heat will be disastrous.
    2 year plan begins now....
  • Options
    Am I the only one not that gutted? I wouldn't swap a league win against Birmingham over England winning Euro 2012
    same pal. Buzzing for Birmingham now, focus back on charlton.
  • Options
    Every premiership team needs 2 or 3 English players for their spirit, unfortunately England has to have 11 of them
  • Options
    I think that is 7 penalty shoot outs in major competitions now. 6 lost and 1 won.