Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney leaves early

Comments

• Options
    Is it not simply that we are ahead of schedule and are now gearing up for the next 'phase' of our march up the leagues a bit earlier than expected? PV has been and done this next phase with RM and will let somebody else do it all over again. A lot of 2 and 2's adding up to 5 if you ask me.
  • Options
    Dan I so hope you're right that everything is OK....but, oh I dunno, the mystery about everything unsettles me so much. Charlton have been such a big part of my life I would be devastated if we went bust.
    I suppose what is asked for is blind faith....but I have become cautious and suspicious in my old age.
  • Options
    think people just need to take a step back, take a big breath and look at what SCP has said about transfer targets etc.

too many people worrying and sh*t stirring.
  • Options
    Gary, no Charlton fan wants to stir up trouble, but every Charlton fan wants the club to actually survive hence the worries.
    Remember when Leeds rode the gravy train and mortgaged their future, it nearly killed them, and that was in good economic times.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    A few weeks ago we were all lured into thinking the end was nigh. We had postings telling us of doom and crisis, backers leaving, money running out, possible administration. We were given warnings that this was it, it was deadly serious, the real deal, come September we'd be lucky to have the same team we had last season never mind one fit to impress in the Championship. What has happened? Nothing. We've made some signings and life has gone on. I'm not questioning the motives or good intentions of those who raised these matters but personally I'm going to believe nothing now until someone can come up with some hard facts and proper quotes instead of speculation and endless circumlocution.
  • Options
    Gary, no Charlton fan wants to stir up trouble, but every Charlton fan wants the club to actually survive hence the worries.
    Remember when Leeds rode the gravy train and mortgaged their future, it nearly killed them, and that was in good economic times.
    but ive yet to see any evidence that suggests we are going out of existence?!
  • Options
    Fyi @afka you missed Roma's post being quoted by Hardy Addick above. It's a shame you have to spend your time doing stuff like that.

• Options
    Edited
  • Options
    Always miss the good bits
  • Options
    Always miss the good bits
    You didn't miss much just what appears to be a WUM trying to stir up some shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm more worried about it someone serious trying to come across as a WUM to conceal their real identity. Just because of everything going on I suppose that's how I feel.
  • Options
    I'm more worried about it someone serious trying to come across as a WUM to conceal their real identity. Just because of everything going on I suppose that's how I feel.
    If they were serious posters I'm sure it wouldn't be little one liners but a proper post that put a bit of meat on the bones.

• Options
    It is something in the air I suppose. Mind you, I am so paranoid I worry that there will be a fait accompli and by then it will be too late to try to save our club.

Blind faith and prayer may be the answer.

• Options
    Since I am pretty sure no Lifer owns the Club, decisions made concerning the running of the Club will always be a "fait accompli". Having watched my first game in 1954, one thing I know is that it will be a blody miracle if I am watching football at The Valley in another 58 years time!.. as for the next couple of years, I certainly do not share SP's worries even though their might be interesting changes afoot!
  • Options
    It seems clear that there has be a disagreement but that doesn't necessarily mean that we are going bankrupt and recent acquisitions suggest we are not although Airman's comments indicated we might be. It may be a footballing difference above all else or PV may not like the business practices of certain people- we don't really know. The truth is that if people don't want us to know, we probably won't and we will continue filling in the gaps in our knowledge with worse case scenarios.
  • Options
    I am concerned Peter has left because of the wall of silence. If as has been suggested PV has left on good terms and is just getting out to enjoy his grandchildren then why no statement of usual niceties ? Very odd. If on the other hand PV has left because he can't work at Charlton because of something else or has been squeezed out then his silence is defening. One other thing is causing me to be in two minds about what is going on is the role of Richard Murray. His reputation as a Charlton legend is beyond question and through all this RM has from what I have gleaned from the million posts remained resolutely positive. Comforting to me but I really do have a gut feeling that all is not well. Please god I'm wide of the mark.
  • Options
    It is something in the air I suppose. Mind you, I am so paranoid I worry that there will be a fait accompli and by then it will be too late to try to save our club.

Blind faith and prayer may be the answer.

On my knees as we speak, Seth...

• Options
    Just leave it Dave Mehmet, that's far too easy.
  • Options
    PV has always been quite opinionated and passionate - something I like and admire about him - but also something that can account for disagreements.
  • Options
    Richard Murray. His reputation as a Charlton legend is beyond question and through all this RM has from what I have gleaned from the million posts remained resolutely positive.

Has he?
    Not heard much from Mr Murray for a while
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the original question of Peter Varney leaving, or being shown the door, three weeks before his previously announced departure, with no announcement coming from the club or Peter, still leaves open to question the significance of this news.

All we know is that there is a great deal going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to. Peter would be, and he has either left early or been pushed out. We don't know which one, or why.

Peter is one of the people that we believe has Charlton's best interests at heart. We aren't so such about others' motivations. But someone that the supporters trust is no longer there, and we don't know why.

Has he actually left the club or just no longer a director, but still working at the club until the end of the month as planned?
  • Options
    It seems clear that there has be a disagreement but that doesn't necessarily mean that we are going bankrupt and recent acquisitions suggest we are not although Airman's comments indicated we might be. It may be a footballing difference above all else or PV may not like the business practices of certain people- we don't really know. The truth is that if people don't want us to know, we probably won't and we will continue filling in the gaps in our knowledge with worse case scenarios.
    You choose worst case scenarios if you want to. There are alternative scenarios
    1) He genuinely only wanted to stay until the new owners had got things sorted, and after promotion felt the club was in safe hands, after all if the club was in trouble is he the sort of person to walk away from it? Remember, he's already left before, so it's not as if he's been here continuously for 20 years, or
    2) He shagged Michael Slater's wife and was forced to leave
  • Options
    I see Varneys name has been dropped off of the list on the Directors page of the OS, strangely the new guy replacing him hasn't been added?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/directors/0,,10267,00.html
  • Options
    Seems a bit cloak and dagger to me
  • Options
    Indeed
  • Options
    What on earth are the directors upto? Clearly hiding something but what?
  • Options
    Calm down.
    Here's an extract from the original announcement on the OS:
    "Varney's replacement as executive vice-chairman and Charlton director is former Umbro senior vice-president Martin Prothero, who will join the company with effect from August 1st."
    So he won't be there yet will he?
  • Options
    I hope that's the answer.
  • Options

@Roma

I have removed your last post.

Like others, i have some concerns over your authenticity. To continue to allow your posting rights, I would be grateful if you would send a mail to me at afka@charltonlife.com from your work email address rather than a hotmail one, for my peace of mind. Thank you.

Ha, you'll be waiting a while for that I think
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Calm down.
    Here's an extract from the original announcement on the OS:
    "Varney's replacement as executive vice-chairman and Charlton director is former Umbro senior vice-president Martin Prothero, who will join the company with effect from August 1st."
    So he won't be there yet will he?

As it has been said already that Prothero is likely to be taking the role on a one day a week basis, I think it important to understand now that he may not be added as a formal director at all. I don't think that that will be anything to worry about either!