Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Line of Duty

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    seems the cast got bored and the writer had weaved such a complicated web that he couldn't find a way to unravel .. let's hope the next series is both the last and is of better quality than this latest series which has been a hotchpodge even given the problems with the pandemic
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chizz said:
    cfgs said:
    Chizz said:
    One thing I hate about all the final episodes of LOD is the "where are they now" bits....as if it's a real life crime programme. Tonight's took the biscuit with Jo, her dog & partner. They go skipping off into the AUTUMNAL sunset (lovely red & brown leaves everywhere) when we know that the investigation into Gail Vella's murder was only started in mid October 2020 & Hastings got his retirement papers about a month later (date on letter). God knows how long it took to wrap everything up, get Jo into WP and for her to find a new gf.......but it certainly wasn't before November !! 

So if you are going to wrap everything up with a lovely bow at least make it credible.

(Continuity is one of my bugbears... )
    It could have been in the southern hemisphere
    Still wouldn't work timeline wise. Also it was known she loved Scotland & wanted to go back there. 
    I would assume it was a year later.
    How can it be a year later. We are only 6 months past the time when the investigation started. If you want to film stuff as "real time"  by showing actual dates then you have to at least keep to the notion that your viewers are watching now, ie May 2021.
    The only way it could be in the future would be - and I know this is entirely speculation - that the whole thing is a work of fiction.
    Totally agree......so then just drop any dates. No need to show a flip chart or Hastings retirement details with specific dates on. 
  • Options
    What were your thoughts of the finale @Chizz?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    What were your thoughts of the finale @Chizz?
    Fairly underwhelmed. But, it did the two things that were important: wrapped up lots of answers, and left the opportunity for new stories to unfold. 

It seemed like a finale, because every previous series started with Ted, Steve and Kate in unison, but ended with them at odds with each other. And this season, it was the reverse, highlighted by the final, panning shot in the lift. 

It can either end now, or start again. My money's on the latter. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Steve had to hand in his firearm and had a taser that he used when he got out of the van, then in the next clip he had a gun.
  • Options
    Slightly off  theme: Stroud and Kettle 2 bent refs!
  • Options
    Did feel rather lame that they tracked Buckles simlply because of the spelling "definately". 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I don't mind the notion behind Jed Mercurio's ending of this season: sometimes stories do not have happy endings. That's true of life and I get it. 

But my god, it's Sunday night telly. We want chases; a big reveal; all of it to come down. The whole chat about "handwriting" and "no way" without mentioning Buckells' name was the gammiest hammiest bollocks, too. And if he was a big nob then why was Lee Banks threatening him?

There's more to come and I think it's going to be Osborne, but how can they stretch it out into another series? Hastings is forced to retire then unretires? Unlawful searches bring stuff up and then that all gets complicated? I dunno.

It's just a bit messy now, and that's again okay because life isn't straightforward. But... it wasn't great telly last night.
    Good summary here - feel like there's got to be another season with Kate and Steve investigating Osborne and maybe Carmichael against the odds and with no support, presumably Hastings helping from his retirement. 

The highlighted section really made me question how Buckles could be the big bad, though having him as a go-between did make sense.

Another point that bothered me, at the end of the interview with Buckles they asked him a pointed question along the lines of "There is someone higher up whose pulling the strings - tell us who it is or you won't get immunity", Buckles seemed to be thinking about coming clean to me, struggling what decision to make, then Hastings just ended the interview abruptly and they all walked out with dramatic music. Why wouldn't you push that or give him a chance to reply, even if its 'no comment'?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did feel rather lame that they tracked Buckles simlply because of the spelling "definately". 

Considering that most messaging facilities/ emailing addresses prompt spell checking it is hard to believe he would continuously misspell it in electronic form.

Even Charlton Life highlights spelling errors before you post.

Was Holte End holdings a reference to him being a Villa fan I wonder.  Nicknamed Villains aren't they?
  • Options
    Jed Mercurio is too good of a writer. This is definitely not the end of this story. 
     On what basis is he a good writer?

A story with more holes in it than a pack of polos. Souless characters. Rushed storylines that make little sense. Poor attention to detail.... I could go on.

I have never understood the hyperbole that follows this turkey of a series around.
     This series was poor for me, very cheesy and i don't understand the furore around it. Seems like its become bigger than him. 

But, watch ‘bodies’ on i player by mecurio, that series is fantastic. One of the best things ive watched. 
  • Options
    That was a Charlton season of a finale.

We had the 6-0 in earlier episodes with the police woman being shot dead and Chole and Steve under fire. The police car in the pond and various cliff hangers over each episode.

Having a climax before final episode was a risk for Jed Mercurio and I guess the idea is that despite having H being the dim witted Buckles, it was definitely the computer and paper work by Chole that solved it.

Surprised that doing a word checker was considered a slick ending.

Osbourne remains a shady character;  he may only be guilt of using a brush to sweep bad news behind an iron curtain to please the Government of the day.  

Enjoyed the series and pleased that the Holy  trinity were good guys even if Super Ted was a wee bit naughty with the odd 50K.
  • Options
    Hoping for a further series if only in the expectation that Carmichael will get her comeuppance. :) 
  • Options
    t b h  .. i m o (the acronyms are catching) that last p r o g was r u b b i s h 
  • Options
    Just binged watched the last five episodes. 

What a total let down.   

• Options
    H being the shape of the goals in GAA. Now living in Woolwich.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    cfgs said:
    Chizz said:
    One thing I hate about all the final episodes of LOD is the "where are they now" bits....as if it's a real life crime programme. Tonight's took the biscuit with Jo, her dog & partner. They go skipping off into the AUTUMNAL sunset (lovely red & brown leaves everywhere) when we know that the investigation into Gail Vella's murder was only started in mid October 2020 & Hastings got his retirement papers about a month later (date on letter). God knows how long it took to wrap everything up, get Jo into WP and for her to find a new gf.......but it certainly wasn't before November !! 

So if you are going to wrap everything up with a lovely bow at least make it credible.

(Continuity is one of my bugbears... )
    It could have been in the southern hemisphere
    Still wouldn't work timeline wise. Also it was known she loved Scotland & wanted to go back there. 
    I would assume it was a year later.
    How can it be a year later. We are only 6 months past the time when the investigation started. If you want to film stuff as "real time"  by showing actual dates then you have to at least keep to the notion that your viewers are watching now, ie May 2021.
    The only way it could be in the future would be - and I know this is entirely speculation - that the whole thing is a work of fiction.
    that Einstein was wrong about time travel.
  • Options
    We binge watched the whole of series 1 yesterday, it's amazing that the little things that seemed insignificant the first time, you now realise are important parts of the whole plot. 
  • Options
    Did none of you notice Carmichael tap 4 times on the desk with a pencil which is "H" in Morse code 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    doronron said:
    Did none of you notice Carmichael tap 4 times on the desk with a pencil which is "H" in Morse code 
    noticed by you and dozens of others who have posted on here  :)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Haven't been able to shake the disappointment of this, even a couple of days later. 

The reveal of 'H', was set up to be arguably the biggest moment in British television drama in years. I can't think of any show from this country which has had people talking and anticipating quite like Line of Duty in a long time. 

That's why part of me feels as though it should have been someone like Hastings. It needed an almightily high shock value to match the build-up.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Haven't been able to shake the disappointment of this, even a couple of days later. 

The reveal of 'H', was set up to be arguably the biggest moment in British television drama in years. I can't think of any show from this country which has had people talking and anticipating quite like Line of Duty in a long time. 

That's why part of me feels as though it should have been someone like Hastings. It needed an almightily high shock value to match the build-up.
    I've been thinking about it too. I'd quite like for it to have been Nige (aka Bob the Builder). Think it would have been a really good twist and satisfied the viewers. 

Last time I remember the build up to a big reveal was Broadchurch, which was a more satisfying ending than this. 
  • Options
    Thought it was a load of tosh actually. The previous series had me riveted but this was so lame. Plus why was Jo Davidson let off after framing her ex, who was banged up in jail?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Binge watched this series over the last couple of days as I have with all the others. I find it easier to follow that way.

Terrible ending, really disappointing.  The actress who plays Carmichael is fantastic.  Such an unlikable character 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    IdleHans said:
    Binge watched this series over the last couple of days as I have with all the others. I find it easier to follow that way.

Terrible ending, really disappointing.  The actress who plays Carmichael is fantastic.  Such an unlikable character 
    I noticed she's in a trailer for some sitcom thing too, and almost unrecognisable between the two roles. Goes to show that some of this acting lark isn't just reciting words out loud.
    Yeah, Motherland, which is very very funny
    motherland's a bloody great show. Deffo recommend. 
  • Options
    Motherland is quality....however I thought the Xmas special was a bit of a letdown. Hoping for better from the new series.
  • Options
    I love Motherland