Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How much was your first house?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    5d and tuppence apenny.....oh "house" not horse !
  • First flat was 27k which after going up to about 70k then dropped in value so we sold for 27k in about '97.

Bought the current 3 bed semi in Bickley for the then eye watering £105k. Not sure what it is worth now but slightly more that we paid for it.
  • Paid £135k for a Three Bed Terraced House in Rainham Kent in 2000 had to leave and sell up start again Three years later. I am now buying a house hopefully in next few weeks on my own, a Two Bed Coachouse in Sittingbourne for £148k, getting a mortgage this time has been an absoloute nightmare, but all sorted now.
  • That sounds lovely Ketman, good luck.
  • Had a mid terrace in sittingbourne 103k sold for 113k looking to buy again later this year
  • Don't tell them that they're lucky! Although they'll complain in another thread about how much better things were in the past!

Don't but a new flat @Jarman, get 100% ownership of something older that wasn't bashed out in 2 months.

Wholeheartedly agree with that. You can still get nice 2 bed Victorian conversions with a garden for under £200k if you look around a bit. Cannot believe the money they're asking for the new builds in Lewisham.

• Nicholas said:

delroofer said:

1984 mid-terrace 3 bedroom in Harlow for £16,500 and sold it in 1989 for £66,000.
    Those were the days, and it always seemed a struggle to pay the mortgage, no matter how low it seems now!

@delroofer you still in Harlow or am I the only cafc fan here :)
    Hi Nicholas. I still live in Harlow. Just off School Lane near the Town Park. Not a bad place to live in my opinion. Had a chat with Danny Green at the POTY dinner about Harlow and we both agreed there are many worse places to live than here.
    There are a few Charlton fans around, but we tend to get swamped by all the Spurs, Gunners and Hammers locals.
  • 1999, 2 bed terrace Bexley, 85k

Loved that house.

I bet the roof didn't leak either!

• 2 up 2 down in 1988 for £64k in Finchley Close East Dartford. Got turned over when the Interest rates hit something like 15% in 1989/90, lost about £15k.
  • Jarman said:

Amazing to see how the prices have shot up so much.

Looking for my first buy at the mo.
    It's more or less impossible to get on the ladder and still have some cash left for yourself at the end of the month!

New flats in Woolwich start at 250,000.
    Same score for the new flats in Lewisham.

Though about Bermondsey for a split second too..
    That is how desperate I have become!

Yep, its pretty hard. I've been fairly fortunate that I was able to scrape together a 10% deposit after my divorce and buy a 2 bed flat in Welling and I was only able to do that as I kipped on my parents sofa for 2 years. Life is a struggle even on a decent salary. Mortgage and Child Maintenance accounts for over 75% of my salary and have still got to pay bills and stuff. Not much left to have a social life to speak of but end of the day, I didnt have a choice as was literally homeless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jarman said:

It's more or less impossible to get on the ladder and still have some cash left for yourself at the end of the month!

Do you have to stay in SE London?

It gets progressively cheaper the further out you go. the big downside of course is commuting.
  • LenGlover said:

Jarman said:

Do you have to stay in SE London?

It gets progressively cheaper the further out you go. the big downside of course is commuting.
    I would second that I have just swapped a 45min commute up town from Bromley for a 2hr journey from Leybourne which is tough but it is worth it.

• When my granparents came over from Ireland and settled in Hornchurch about 45 years ago they bought an average size 3 bedroom house for just under 4k.
    45 years on and they still live there, so god knows how much it must have grown in price since, round the 300k mark i think.
  • Bad time to buy....end of 1988....studio in Datford 55k.....went down to 35k by mid 90's...sold 2001 for 45k a loss of 10k...still more then made up for it on 2nd purchase...97k house in Eltham...sold for 195k 8 years later.
  • Two bed flat in Muswell Hill 1984 for £29000, now sell for about £180000! Most recent purchases 1998 for £175000 at a low point for the market, in Northants it bought quite a lot back then :-)) and a 2 bed garden flat in Suffolk last year for £114000
  • edited August 2012
    delroofer said:

Nicholas said:

delroofer said:

1984 mid-terrace 3 bedroom in Harlow for £16,500 and sold it in 1989 for £66,000.
    Those were the days, and it always seemed a struggle to pay the mortgage, no matter how low it seems now!

@delroofer you still in Harlow or am I the only cafc fan here :)
    Hi Nicholas. I still live in Harlow. Just off School Lane near the Town Park. Not a bad place to live in my opinion. Had a chat with Danny Green at the POTY dinner about Harlow and we both agreed there are many worse places to live than here.
    There are a few Charlton fans around, but we tend to get swamped by all the Spurs, Gunners and Hammers locals.

@delroofer

Not too far from me then del, I live in Halling hill which is a few minutes walk from the park. Good to know i'm not the only cafc supporter around then. Your right way too many spuds and arsenal fans. Not as many West ham as I first thought there would be when I moved here.

Your right though Harlow is no different from any other town, good parts and bad parts.
  • 1995, £45,500 for a two bed terraced place in Basildon. Since the. I have moved and let it out. Currently I've geared it up to £140k and due to the low interest rates the mortgage is about a third of the rent.

I bought it with an ex. She left me and agreed to let me keep the house as there wasn't much in it in 1997 and she wanted a quick get away.

It still brings a smile to my face to think that £100k down the road I'm still
    making money on a property that her dad provided all the deposit for!
  • Anyone buy late 1988?
  • Swisdom said:

What was that saying that someone put on here? Was it buy a house in Chislehurst as soon as you can, then one in Keston then one in Blackheath?

It was Paul Elliotts father that said this to him because you couldn't leave him anything in his will all he could leave him was the advice.
    Mr Elliott duly followed this advice and is now minted
    Sound advice that we seem to have followed in reverse! Bought a flat in Blackheath mid 90s 118,500 couldn't afford a house there so now out in Bickley 2006 (far to close to Henry!) made nothing / lost nothing ... time to look at Keston or Chelsfield or ?

If we want prices to gently rise and to support first time buyers then time to ask the banks what they are doing for anyone with a deposit less than 30%

• 2 bed terrace in Wilmington £16500 in 1979.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1966. Brand new bungalow in Whistable for £3,520. Workmates felt sorry for us for having to pay so much
  • 1984 3 bedroom terraced house in Forest Hill for £39,500. Sold it 3 years later for £95,000....
  • £190k in 2000. Terrace house in Greenvale Rd Eltham.
  • Swisdom said:

What was that saying that someone put on here? Was it buy a house in Chislehurst as soon as you can, then one in Keston then one in Blackheath?

It was Paul Elliotts father that said this to him because you couldn't leave him anything in his will all he could leave him was the advice.
    Mr Elliott duly followed this advice and is now minted
    Sound advice that we seem to have followed in reverse! Bought a flat in Blackheath mid 90s 118,500 couldn't afford a house there so now out in Bickley 2006 (far to close to Henry!) made nothing / lost nothing ... time to look at Keston or Chelsfield or ?

If we want prices to gently rise and to support first time buyers then time to ask the banks what they are doing for anyone with a deposit less than 30%

Elliott obviously listened as my mate rented from him in Blackheath a few years ago - in the crescent shaped road.

• Late 90's was depressing as my house earned more than I did.
  • 2 bed new build flat in New Eltham for £175,000 back in 2005. Part rent/part buy and owned 40%. Sold in 2009 and walked away with a nice amount (not that I expected it). Moved to Chingford for 9 months before buying a 4 bed EOT in Eltham that was an absolute bargain. It was valued 14 months before we bought it at £359,000. We purchased it for £259,000 in Feb 2010. Deffo a buyers market then and still is now.
  • First One Bed Flat in Bromley for £26,000
  • My parents had a small three bedroomed detached house built near Orpington in 1953 - land cost £200 and the House £2,500 to build. Sold it in 2007 for £450,000. The bloke who bought it extended it. Just sold for £800,000.
  • 1982 - two-bedroom semi in Tunbridge Wells for £22,500. That was about 3x my salary at that time
  • I dont know about anybody else but, I cant wait for the season to start :)