Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How much was your first house?

Comments

• Two bed end of terrace, Dartford, 1990, 62k.
  • Aged 19 in 1979 large 2 bed end of terrace with garage £14250 Hawley Rd Hawley interest rate was a staggering 15%
  • LenGlover said:

Here in Oz, bought our first house for A$165,000 in mid-1999, sold it for $180,000 in mid-2001.

It got sold again last week for $550,000 - and people say there's no property bubble over here!

back in 1999 it was 3 A$ to £1 wasn't it?
    Not quite, back then it was about $2.5, the highest I have seen it is around $2.80 - the lowest has been this year when it was about $1.58!!!
    It's been as low as$1.48 Tone......the heady days of $2.60 long gone sadly.
  • 1st house I bought was in Stevenage but prior tothat I was buying a house in Ilford 2 up 2 down which I had toi withdraw from as I was made redundant, that was £19,999 in 1981. The stevenage place could not have been much more than that.
  • Good to hear how many Lifers are living/have lived in the Dartford area.

I have never lived anywhere else and have always been a proud Dartfordian.

Such a shame that the old town is falling into disrepute and is known as Dirty Dartford.

Fingers crossed it will rise again like the phoenix in the not too distant future.

• Such a shame that the old town is falling into disrepute and is known as Dirty Dartford.

Fingers crossed it will rise again like the phoenix in the not too distant future.

Maybe you have to burn it down first?

;o)

• Such a shame that the old town is falling into disrepute and is known as Dirty Dartford.

Maybe you have to burn it down first?

;o)
    Ha ha, Oggy .
  • Still breaks my heart that, in the midst of financial meltdown I sold my flat near Brockley for £145k in 2006. I'd bought it for 90k a few years before and my mortgage was laughably low. Can't get a mortgage now.
  • Mum and Dad bought their bungalow in navenby, Lincs for £2,500 in 1967. Bless.
  • In 1970 paid £7,000 for a new detached 3 bedroom bungalow, built to order by a local builder in N.Dorset, sold it 18 months later for £15k.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2012 - 2 bed flat in Bromley £227k
  • Loco said:

I dont know about anybody else but, I cant wait for the season to start

Why....are you about to buy your first house at the same time?
  • edited August 2012

Mum and Dad bought their bungalow in navenby, Lincs for £2,500 in 1967. Bless.

Jeez.....I can't believe this.
    It wouldn't be one of those on the left coming into the village from Wellingore would it....my Mum and Dad looked at them around the same time and were very tempted? We lived in Catford in those days.
    My sister lives in Waddington, I'm often up there(spent every Christmas there for decades) and buy some of those fantastic sausage rolls from the bakery on my way through.
    Small world Wmt!
  • My parents bought the house I now live in for £500 in 1958, when they died in 1990 I bought it for £120,000 from my brother and sister so it was worth £180,000, now with extension worth around £400,000
  • Mum and Dad bought their bungalow in navenby, Lincs for £2,500 in 1967. Bless.

Jeez.....I can't believe this.
    It wouldn't be one of those on the left coming into the village from Wellingore would it....my Mum and Dad looked at them around the same time and were very tempted? We lived in Catford in those days.
    My sister lives in Waddington, I'm often up there(spent every Christmas there for decades) and buy some of those fantastic sausage rolls from the bakery on my way through.
    Small world Wmt!
    Amazing! No on the right at the bottom of the hill - Overton Close off Chapel Lane. Moved there from Waddington where dad spent most of the last 20 years of his 40 yr RAF career. Small world indeed! Nice one mate.
  • edited August 2012
    Fanny, surely you must know why Dartford is known as dirty Dartford, it's got nothing to do with cleanliness, but a very unique feature, because the old cemetery at the top of east hill is above the steeple of the town church. It was first called Dirty Dartford in a very ancient poem.

"Dirty Dartford, dirty people, bury their dead above the steeple"

Like you been a Dartfordian all my life and our family can trace its roots back back to the area and within a 10 mile radius for nearly a 500 years. Such a pity really that I will be the last to have lived in Dartford as all my children and relations have now moved away to find cheaper property and a better life style, unfortunately Maidstone seems to be the most popular area, but they where never keen Darts fans, I still have to spit out the car window whenever I pass the welcome to Maidstone sign, I will never forget the way they destroyed my beloved Darts and drove them into bankruptcy, at least they are on the way back.
  • edited August 2012
    Sorry, somehow managed to double post.
  • Addickted said:

Following on from the nasty landlords thread and just to upset the youngsters - how much did you pay, if you were lucky enough to be in a position to make your first purchase?

1984, aged 22, bought a 3 bed end of terraced house in Swaisland Road in Dartford for £31,500.

I'd say I was born /0 years too late. Currently looking at houses I'm 24 and it's £200k for anything half decent!
  • Fanny, surely you must know why Dartford is known as dirty Dartford, it's got nothing to do with cleanliness, but a very unique feature, because the old cemetery at the top of east hill is above the steeple of the town church. It was first called Dirty Dartford in a very ancient poem.

"Dirty Dartford, dirty people, bury their dead above the steeple"

Like you been a Dartfordian all my life and our family can trace its roots back back to the area and within a 10 mile radius for nearly a 500 years. Such a pity really that I will be the last to have lived in Dartford as all my children and relations have now moved away to find cheaper property and a better life style, unfortunately Maidstone seems to be the most popular area, but they where never keen Darts fans, I still have to spit out the car window whenever I pass the welcome to Maidstone sign, I will never forget the way they destroyed my beloved Darts and drove them into bankruptcy, at least they are on the way back.

I didn't know that Kerry, I was born on the East Hill...at Livingstone Hospital.
  • We used to do some work for New Look and when we fitted out the new store in the shopping centre there i met the Client and he said he'd arrived a bit early and had been walking around for about an hour. He was a bit concerned as to whether they were doing the right thing as he hadn't seen 1 decent looking bird in that time. His words, not mine although he was from Stockport so i don't think he was setting the bar too high.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Following on from the nasty landlords thread and just to upset the youngsters - how much did you pay, if you were lucky enough to be in a position to make your first purchase?

1984, aged 22, bought a 3 bed end of terraced house in Swaisland Road in Dartford for £31,500.

I'd say I was born /0 years too late. Currently looking at houses I'm 24 and it's £200k for anything half decent!
    Where are you looking? Blackheath?

• 3 bedroom semi in Kidbrooke 1992 for £50K valued at £240K this year. Seems well high to me tho.
  • edited August 2012
    Look's like us in the younger generation got screwed, my first place was 235k but can't imagine i would of got so much for that sort of money if i had been living in London still when i was 24.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Where are you looking? Blackheath?

Horsham in West Sussex or Horley/Charlwood in Surrey.

No idea why the prices are so high away from cities and coast lines!
  • 3 bed terrace in strood 1981 ...£19,950 ....!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Look's like us in the younger generation got screwed, my first place was 235k but can't imagine i would of got so much for that sort of money if i had been living in London still when i was 24.

Nah mate, 235 K will still buy you a studio within walking distance of Plumstead train station.

• In Dublin.
    1st flat (1 bed) bought in 1994 for 22,500
    Sold it 4 years later for 107,000. Went round the world for 2 years and put myself through college.
    2004 bought my second (2 bed semi in city centre) for 300,000. Now worth 140,000.
    Some you win some you lose.
  • Yes, I had heard the saying about Dartford, CharltonKerry . It's just a pity that the town is now living up to it IMHO.

Remember when we had department stores ( Potts, Co-op, Heddles) , a Marks & Sparks, a couple of boutiques( in the 60's) , a couple of cinemas and a lovely park. Alas, only tha latter remains amidst dozens of Pound Shops and the like plus plenty of banks & Charity shops. So sad.

Maybe things will improve one day as, you so rightly state, has our local football team.

• in my opinion Bexleyheath is going the same way as Dartford.
  • I have cousins in Dartford who moved there from Erith many years ago because of what was happening there and have really enoyed bringing up their family there and supporting the Darts. Personally I have mixed feelings about the town: I passed my 'bike and car tests there in '64, but at least four members of my family went into Joyce Green hospital and er...... that was that. Has that place been flatted yet?