Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How much was your first house?

12346»

Comments

• Look's like us in the younger generation got screwed, my first place was 235k but can't imagine i would of got so much for that sort of money if i had been living in London still when i was 24.

Nah mate, 235 K will still buy you a studio within walking distance of Plumstead train station.

Good to no, doubt ill be moving back down for a good long time, only problem with marrying a native.
  • WSSWSS
    edited August 2012
    Got demolished in 2000, March. Had my tonsils out there - remember it as a proper 'old-school' hospital as a kid.

You can buy a house there though: http://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/newhomes/south+east/thebridge/
  • edited August 2012
    Thanks WSS: certainly an improvement but somehow I don't think we'll be moving there! But I think the hospital was more 'Dickensian' than old school.
  • March51, yes Joyce Green is no longer, been replaced by the affectionately known death valley, had 2 relations go in and non have come out, Fanny what was the store where they us to shoot the money around the store by putting it into a container and sucking it to the the accounts department, my favourite store was alway Phillips, and the co-op at Christmas on the ride.
  • 1994 £64,000 - two up two down in Blackheath
  • , Fanny what was the store where they us to shoot the money around the store by putting it into a container and sucking it to the the accounts department.

Mitchells in Erith?

• I didn't read that we are boasting; so bought for £64k in 1994 in SE3 sold in 2000 for £185k bought in Charlton a big three bed Victorian house for £160k which I sold for £300k in 2008 and bought in Sidcup a really big four bedrom 30's for £400k first time my mortgage went up for 14 years and the profit SE3 to SE7 paid for a brand new Alfa and a trip Oz.

Sidcup is in London terms an inexpensive place to live with great schools and a really good peak travel train service property here is well undervalued.
  • Yes, I had heard the saying about Dartford, CharltonKerry . It's just a pity that the town is now living up to it IMHO.

Remember when we had department stores ( Potts, Co-op, Heddles) , a Marks & Sparks, a couple of boutiques( in the 60's) , a couple of cinemas and a lovely park. Alas, only tha latter remains amidst dozens of Pound Shops and the like plus plenty of banks & Charity shops. So sad.

Maybe things will improve one day as, you so rightly state, has our local football team.

Dartford was a beautiful market town when I was kid, sad to see its demise, Ive got fond memories of getting the 96 from welling with all my fishing gear and trudging through the lovely park to Darford lakes.....if the Darenth was low, we'd walk through the tunnel....many happy hours spent there....never seemed to catch much but loved it anyway.
  • pickwick said:

I didn't read that we are boasting; so bought for £64k in 1994 in SE3 sold in 2000 for £185k bought in Charlton a big three bed Victorian house for £160k which I sold for £300k in 2008 and bought in Sidcup a really big four bedrom 30's for £400k first time my mortgage went up for 14 years and the profit SE3 to SE7 paid for a brand new Alfa and a trip Oz.

Sidcup is in London terms an inexpensive place to live with great schools and a really good peak travel train service property here is well undervalued.

Sidcup was always seen as upper class when I was a kid along the lines of Old Bexley.......
  • My parents bought their 3 bed semi in welling for 60k in mid 80s and sold in 2007 for 250k. Bought a four bed detached house in Norfolk for 245k.
  • Sponsored links:

• In 1977 I bought a house in Abbey Wood for 11500 pounds nineteen months later I sold it for 19000 pounds.I only altered it superficially,didn't spend much on it.
  • 1968 bought a nice maisonette on Sidcup Hill for £4,800.
  • 1968 bought a nice maisonette on Sidcup Hill for £4,800.
  • Flat in Mottingham circa 1886 £15k sold in 1993 for £21k........nice deposit on a lovely house in Lee, still there now worth x 4 what i paid for it...daughters inheritance!
  • Flat in Mottingham circa 1886 £15k sold in 1993 for £21k........nice deposit on a lovely house in Lee, still there now worth x 4 what i paid for it...daughters inheritance!

Not surprised if you held onto it for 107 years, that's what I call long-term investing!

Not surprised if you held onto it for 107 years, that's what I call long-term investing!
    And i dont look a day over 45!!! LOL..however im sure you get my drift!!
  • Oooh, memories, CharltonKerry !

The shop you're talking about was Kerrs, roughly where Lloyds TSB is now. Used to have wooden "cupboards" with drawers full of lacey gloves, hankies and such like. A real old fashioned feel about it even in those bygone days.

And how could I forget THE toy shop - Phillips ! Used to save up my pennies to buy beautiful silky sets of doll's clothes and in more recent years, took my 2 children there to buy Star Wars figures etc. And in a room at the back oof the shop were the bikes, dolls' prams, scooters ....a paradise for kids !
  • Bought a studio flat in ifield w.sussex in 2003 for £74,000 sold in 2006 after split with girlfriend for £94,000
  • Got very lucky with first house... Bought 2 bed terrace in Calvert Rd (maze Hill) for £165k in 1999 after years of renting in the area. Sold in 2007 for £480k and bought a cheaper (£380k), bigger 'doer upper' round the corner. Still here but looking towards Chislehurst or further in next few years..
  • Fanny, I forgot to mention I was also born in Livingston as was the rest of my family.
    Kerrs that right, all those wooden draws, and the side windows of Phillips with all the good toys in, although the front windows was good as they had the cars and the cow boys and indians, can still remember the smell for some reason.

Such a shame that Dartford town centre has been destroyed it used to be a lovely place to live, dont know how old you are, but I guessing you are of a similar age to me (I'm just approaching 60, apologises if you are not), I went to St Albans then York Road and finally the Downs (boys). We still live in east Dartford off Brent lane.
  • Sponsored links:

• pickwick said:

I didn't read that we are boasting; so bought for £64k in 1994 in SE3 sold in 2000 for £185k bought in Charlton a big three bed Victorian house for £160k which I sold for £300k in 2008 and bought in Sidcup a really big four bedrom 30's for £400k first time my mortgage went up for 14 years and the profit SE3 to SE7 paid for a brand new Alfa and a trip Oz.

couldn't agree more with that about Sidcup
  • Our first house was brand new in the village of Walderslade near Chatham. We purchased it before it was built for the enormous sum of £4500 in 1971. You could not buy a decent car for that money now
  • 3 bed end of terrace in 1991 near nuxley village 51,995.. sold it in 2006 £ 180.000 . then off to co, mayo ireland for 2years.

The shop you're talking about was Kerrs, roughly where Lloyds TSB is now. Used to have wooden "cupboards" with drawers full of lacey gloves, hankies and such like. A real old fashioned feel about it even in those bygone days.

And how could I forget THE toy shop - Phillips ! Used to save up my pennies to buy beautiful silky sets of doll's clothes and in more recent years, took my 2 children there to buy Star Wars figures etc. And in a room at the back oof the shop were the bikes, dolls' prams, scooters ....a paradise for kids !

Phillips....great for Hornby and Scalextic stuff.
  • in my opinion Bexleyheath is going the same way as Dartford.

What...further round the M25?

Phillips....great for Hornby and Scalextic stuff.
    and Subutteo.
    It also had the overhead train thingy where your money was sent into the back room and your change came back.

• rel="Fanny Fanackapan">Oooh, memories, CharltonKerry !

Oooh, memories, CharltonKerry !

I was a Crayford boy but I loved the Dartford of old. I used to do a mean Harry Worth in Osbourne's? furniture shop window. Can also remember Cuff's where Argos is now and Cobb's fishmongers. Lovely crusty bread from Stanford's and a decent bag of chips from the chippy on the corner opposite the Granada. Dyde's ironmongers is still going in Hythe Street. I also remember when Dartford flooded in the late 60s all the big stores were submerged and the goldfish all escaped from the park garden ponds. I used to play cub football in the park on Saturday's getting changed in the old Dartford Harriers hut. Proper jumpers for goalposts in those days.

• rel="Fanny Fanackapan">Oooh, memories, CharltonKerry !

Oooh, memories, CharltonKerry !

I was a Crayford boy but I loved the Dartford of old. I used to do a mean Harry Worth in Osbourne's? furniture shop window. Can also remember Cuff's where Argos is now and Cobb's fishmongers. Lovely crusty bread from Stanford's and a decent bag of chips from the chippy on the corner opposite the Granada. Dyde's ironmongers is still going in Hythe Street. I also remember when Dartford flooded in the late 60s all the big stores were submerged and the goldfish all escaped from the park garden ponds. I used to play cub football in the park on Saturday's getting changed in the old Dartford Harriers hut. Proper jumpers for goalposts in those days.

Can't remember Osbourne's , Pelham and think you mean Potts, not Cuffs but good to hear you loved "my" old Dartford.

I too remember the flood well, and the goldfish story ...think they ended up in Woolies' basement ! After that, the ponds were made into flower beds which I thought was such a shame. Also loved the paddling pool there - loads of families picnicking around it on a summer weekend and kids with jam jars fishing for tiddlers on the river bank. Such simple pleasures...
  • Fanny, I forgot to mention I was also born in Livingston as was the rest of my family.
    Kerrs that right, all those wooden draws, and the side windows of Phillips with all the good toys in, although the front windows was good as they had the cars and the cow boys and indians, can still remember the smell for some reason.

Such a shame that Dartford town centre has been destroyed it used to be a lovely place to live, dont know how old you are, but I guessing you are of a similar age to me (I'm just approaching 60, apologises if you are not), I went to St Albans then York Road and finally the Downs (boys). We still live in east Dartford off Brent lane.
    I was born in '48 in Russell Stoneham Nursing Home in Crayford ( so I'm told by my 92 yr old Mum!) but know the Livingstone well.

Went to Oakfield Lane Primary( we lived in Lowfield St) and then DGGS . My Mum had won a scholarship there many yeras before but could not take up the place as her parents couldn't afford the uniform. Sad really but a sign of those times.

Now live in West Dartford, just round the corner from my old school.
  • edited August 2012
    Amazing co-incidence there in our history my father was the first ever of our family to pass for the boys grammar, like your mother he couldnt accept the offer as he couldn't even afford shoes let alone the uniform, although the head master at York road did let him study at his school after work, he lived or as he discribed it survivedd his youth in the St Vincents area, which has been described as rough.

He should have had a successful career but never got a break because of the recession and never was in full time work until he married my mother and was sent out to fight in Burma for nearly 4 years.

Like you, I now live close to the school where I was educated, in my case the Downs.