Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County v. Charlton Athletic 2012 Post-Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options
    Even when Powell makes his rare mistakes he still reminds me of his mentor the Great Lord Curbishley. Heaven knows Curbs could be stubborn as hell on occassion, that said it worked out pretty well for him! Lessons to be learnt by all parties tonight I think.
  • Options
    We played a midfield 3 of Hollands, Stephens and Jackson in a lot of preseason, and I still think we need to play that now to utilise our squad. A solid 3 with 2 wingers and a target man, with Jackson sitting in that 3 spraying the ball around, would work.wonders for us. Been at work so had to follow sky sports, but all I cam say is I was surprised and disappointed when I saw solly at left back and jackson at left midfield, and it seems that feeling has been justified. Powell is a great man and I dont doubt his man management or his eye for a player, but I am still unsure over his tactical nous and his ability to turn it around when things aren't going our way
  • Options
    Keystone cop defending is a worry and the first 60 mins it was men against boys. Jackson very disappointing and BWP just appeared too lightweight and unable to hold the ball up. Once Fuller came on and his first chance disallowed goal seem to galvanise the whole team - we had our Charlton back. Confidence grew and what a cracker of a goal by Green! The rest has been said. We shouldn't have any trouble if we played like we did in the last 25 mins which proves the ability is there.
  • Options
    Or does it prove that Derby totally took their foot off the gas and got rocked my two quickfire goals? We were always going to be on top when we got it back to 3-2

A few positives from tonight, mainly the lads who came on and Green.

But it sounded like we could have been 5 down before our first goal and that's not good
  • Options
    If we play a narrow three in midfield, it's important that full backs push up to ensure we don't get overrun in midfield, but we don't. We have back 4 sitting deep, get out-numbered and invite sides to attack us. International midfielders playing our system would get overrun, don't blame the players.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Powell is a great man and I dont doubt his man management or his eye for a player, but I am still unsure over his tactical nous and his ability to turn it around when things aren't going our way

101 points says you're wrong, but I'm not having a dig at you. As several people said, we presume to tell Chris Powell about the left back position, when he was the finest left back I ever saw in a Charlton shirt (since 1962). I was surprised he didnt start Evina, but he sure as hell had his reasons. Give Chris Powell a break and don't let the mob persuade you otherwise. This is not the squad he would have wanted or even expected, I am sure of that.

• Options
    nolly said:

Good one Jimmy

You didnt' hear the '5 players in the boardroom' story, Nolly?

• Options

sam3110 said:

Powell is a great man and I dont doubt his man management or his eye for a player, but I am still unsure over his tactical nous and his ability to turn it around when things aren't going our way

101 points says you're wrong, but I'm not having a dig at you. As several people said, we presume to tell Chris Powell about the left back position, when he was the finest left back I ever saw in a Charlton shirt (since 1962). I was surprised he didnt start Evina, but he sure as hell had his reasons. Give Chris Powell a break and don't let the mob persuade you otherwise. This is not the squad he would have wanted or even expected, I am sure of that.

Of those 101 points, I don't think we played anyone off the park but relied on a solid defence and talented individual performances, but no tactical brilliance. I have seen early obvious coaching, where we storm forward once clearing the ball, but also player lazyness holding 18 yard line when under pressure. Unlike many managers, I haven't seen CP wave us up pitch when under pressure. He needs to learn fast.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

It doesn't say much about Evina though, not being picked tonight, and he was on the bench so it can't have been fitness. Powell doesn't seem to rate him...
  • Options
    just watched SSN to see the goals..................showed all the other Championship games apart from us !!!!! FFS - just about puts the lid on tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same here been waiting up to see Green's goal but everyone else but us. oh well Sky plus is it is and watch em tomorrow
  • Options

Funny I can't recall such a homogenous view on here than the reaction to the team. Then with the failure to freshen it up at half time. Whatever the issues are or are not behind the scenes the issues in the last few games have been on the touchline. Won't be a popular view, but there it is.

Agree, obviously not been to any of the games but watching from afar it seems we've been a bit tactically naive and too slow to change things, both from the start and during the match. Even tonight he took 60 mins to change an obviously failing system - a system which had failed in the last 3 games also.

I don't think we should get too carried away with how the subs changed things either, Derby had taken their foot off the gas by then.

For me we should be strating 4-5-1 at Ipswich making sure the midfield is bolstered with the aim of getting at least a solid point.

Far better to be 0-0 with 20 mins to go and options on the bench to go for 3 points than 2 or 3 nil down and bringing players on to try and rescue an unlikely point as has been the case in our last 2 away games.

Powell has lessons to learn. He arguably had it too easy last season as he was able to assemble a team that was just too strong for most teams. Go back to the season before and he wasn't great at changing games or stopping the rot. The situation is a bit different now to when he first took over, but he has to be careful he doesn't repeat some of those early mistakes.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    in the 1st half we were poor, midfield was non-existent (the game was passing hollands by) but a much improved late second half, once they were sparked by the substitutions and also danny green coming to life with some mercurial play. Derby didn't like fuller on the pitch, who gave them problems. A bit more luck and we would have made the comeback, but it was just out of reach in the end.
    Wilson was absolute junk, with some awful play at the back, who on this performance I'd rather not see starting at right back, I'm puzzled as to why we chose solly at left back..perhaps evina isn't match fit, cos imo he would have been a better starting option with solly in his correct position, otherwise there's not much point having a back-up LB if we go with using players out of position from the start.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

It doesn't say much about Evina though, not being picked tonight, and he was on the bench so it can't have been fitness. Powell doesn't seem to rate him...
    More likely he doesn't want to be seen to make panic changes. We seem to lack 4-5-1 solidity away and pace of Haynes, Pritch & Waggy on break. Diamond needs to be binned. 4-4-2 at home. As a fan of Yann, he moves forward to long balls, hence wins most headers, whereas Hayes, Fuller, Smith back onto defenders and bring ball down. Food for thought.
  • Options
    Firstly we were utterly spoilt last season. Secondly we have tried with the same team, same formation and unfortunately some of our players are not quite good enough at this level. Thirdly for 60 minutes we never showed any urgency & desire to put them under pressure.

Wiggins is a huge loss, and our centre midfield is very, very weak. Moving JJ inside gave the side better shape and Green then had the confidence to get forward hence the 2 goals we scored. Fuller is still not fit enough to start a game otherwise he would, but my gawd he scared their CB's shitless when he came on. Solly never crossed the halfway line all night and is wasted as a left back.

Although we have lost 3 games on the bounce, all have been lost by the odd goal.

Powell is no fool and will have seen as we all did who & where ther changes have to be made – I hope.
  • Options

Shit team selection from manager has lost that game. Obvious to everyone that Fuller and Kerkar should be starting except from CP. What is he playing at???

Comletely agree. I was at the game and as soon as I saw the team my heart sank. FFS leave Solly at RB put evina in at LB. Again square pegs in round holes it's not rocket science. Two shocking goals to give away in 2nd half one a very sloppy back pass from I think Dale Stephens and a silly penalty given away by Danny Green. First half all we did was lump it up front BWF first touch was awful he just cannot play with his back to goal and link up with other players. Yann and BWP played too far apart to be effective. It was crying out for CP to grow some nomads and make changes at half time.

When Fuller and Kerkar came on for Hollands and BWP the whole complection of our attack changed. Suddenly ther was space to be found Fuller was worrying the life out of rthe centre backs.Cosequently Derby went on the back foot, this allowed space for a tremendous shot from fully 30 yards from Danny Green, who then set Kermit up for the second.

We cannot put out teams that offer little creativity in midfield Stephens has got to play higher up the pitch. Lets hope that CP has learnt at last how to set a balanced team up.

Sorry for the rant its late and I am bloody pissed off.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just got in... very weird game.

People say we lacked luck... well to be honest we were very lucky not to be 4.0 down at half time. Reminded me of that Millwall game... players running round like headless chickens, looking panicky or just disinterested. We have to stop pplaying Jackson on the wing.. complete waste of a man. He's much better in the middle. Hollands was awful today, just seemed like he couldn't be bothered. Stephens at least got involved, yeah that back pass was awful but he cut out some Derby through balls at important moments. BWP looks so lightweight up against big defenders... but to be fair the help and service him and Yann were getting was non-existant. The defence was poor too.. Solly was ok but not half as effective on the left (he swapped with Wilson for about 5 mins weirdly).

After half time it was obvious CP had told them to keep it on the deck.Couldn't see penalty incident from our end. Fuller looked up for it with some nice touches and he seems good for our morale. Disallowed goal too. What a strike from Green.. an utter beauty. And an unselfish cross for our second... was great to see him involved like that. Kerkar also impressed... can't believe his header was cleared off the line... we could also have had a pen for handball..Powell was fuming. Derby were lucky during the last ten mins.

For me, the biggest thing is that this will hopefully have instilled some belief and confidence in the squad.. cos after the first 70 minutes god knows we needed it. A draw would have flattered us though.. but we nearly got it. Good vocal support from us.. why the hell they packed us in that corner when the whole end was free god only knows. Some unhappy groups not being able to sit together. That's all I can think of writing... goodnight!
  • Options
    A few quotes from a Derby forum:

"they only looked anything like a threat after their amazing first goal (how the hell did they get 101 points last season?) "

"Great performance for 75 minutes from the lads. Their wonder goal plus Ricardo Fuller coming on changed the game, but we saw it through"

"A good win, cruising at 2/3 up and then a wonder goal from no where. Fuller did seem to get them going once he came on, a few decent off the line clearances and some poor finishing made sure the come back didn't come off!
    Thought we could have had a few more"
  • Options
    Awful defending, Jackson and Solly picked off by the county attack with ease, comedy mistakes, yet somehow we got back into it. Solly really does need to start on the right not only is he so much more comfortable defending there, but then he could link up with Danny Green. JJ sadly far to slow though improved once he played inside. I find it a little worrying that fuller wants to take on entire defences when he has the ball rather then pass, but then again, who can blame him. Green looked dangerous and fast but he does need the right kind of passes to set him off on runs, he got no service in the first half. I didnt feel that Wilson deserves all the stick that he got, it was a woeful defence performance by the whole of the back four and defending midfielders.
    At one point a derby defender seemed to actually catch the ball in the box, no idea how it wasnt a penalty which would of seen us equalise.
    Great that we all left the ground with something to applaud the players about. There is still a positivity around Charlton we need to keep it going, its going to be quite a fight this season.
  • Options
    SCP needs to take the advice Gus gave for free

Don't be too loyal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Posting without reading:
    Shocking first half, did nothing at all. We were lucky not to be down a number of goals tbh. Two stupid mistakes by the defence ended up with us 3 down despite a better performance. A great goal then assist by Green lit up a game that i don't think we deserved to be in.
    We need to start playing our strongest players in their strongest positions, e.g. Solly at RB, and Evina at LB seeing as thats his position. And i'd like to see kerkar start with Jackson in the centre instead. Disappointingly though I don't think Fuller's fit enough for a full game yet, furthermore, i don't think BWP is good enough for the Championship, which i find even more disappointing.
  • Options
    Complete and utter junk , that first half was one of the worst I've seen in years ... Clueless performance
    And only with Greenies miracles we made the scoreline respectable when we could have been 4 down at ht
    So many poor performances its scary
    Palace and derby sat back when they should have been more in front and invited us on and made us think we're better than we are...... A fullly fit Fuller will make a difference Kerkar I'm not sure will and Evina is not fancied for a reason , he has looked pony in his recent games for the first team
    So many crap back passes that eventually we got picked off with one .
    Palace and derby will be bottom half and for most of both games I thought both were a lot better than us , I'm very worried , we definitely need fresh blood or the unthinkable may happen again

0% top 6 ...... 5% 7th-12th ..... 70% 13th-21st .... 25% a return to footballing hell
  • Options
    The only light in the tunnel was those last 20 mins when we gave it a go and make no mistake Derby are not a good side and the draw was on .....
    We just have to play as SCP said at that tempo for as near as possible for the 90 mins
  • Options

So many crap back passes that eventually we got picked off with one .

How many back passes?
    Thats a worrying sign as it shows that the midfield is struggling

• Options
    Just in , cuppa in hand so posting with only a quick scan of the thread.

Echo what others have said that were there. Couldn't believe how awful we were 1st half - it was embarrassing. Don't belive SCP could take in what he was witnessing either. Everyone moaning about Solly playing out of position & thereby diminishing our defending and attacking from that side . Looked as though Cloughie had done his homework and his players were rampant down that wing.

Knew it could only get better in the 2nd half and Bob even said he honestly thought we could win it ....until they scored again.

But we definitely came out fighting & with far more determination to win , and keep the ball than before. It was obvious however that substitutions had to be made and most around me guessed who would be sacrificed. Both Kerkar & Fuller made such a difference & we were finally running at their defence & taking men on . Fantastic strike from Greenie like a bolt out of the blue ( red !) followed by minutes of intense pressure on their goal with the scorer himself involved most times. We had started to realise that , with a smidgen of fortune , they could be there for the taking. Alas, it was Derby who had the Lady on their side tonight and a couple of last ditch clearances off the line saw them to victory .

Really encouraged by that last 30mins or so & have to agree that Kerkar , for one should start on Saturday . I hate to criticise any of the lads wearing the red shirt but Danny Hollands isn't quite at the races for me so far this season and when playing alongside JJ, I'm afraid it's 2 players not at their Div 1 best, sadly. Fuller is obviously not ready for a full 90 mins and as my travelling companions stated, is best brought on when defensive legs are tiring. At least he had more time on the pitch tonight to show everyone what a difference he can make. I even felt that Pritch's energy could have been used at some point tonight but I guess he'll get his chance again at some point.

Another game of 2 halves....didn't we show a penchant for this at times last season ? Another loss , I know but again, it's a learning curve & we had them on the ropes towards the end. Goals disallowed, soft penalties, late goals ( Brum) - we've had them all & we're only 6 games into the season. OK - they say you make your own luck & I feel sure we'll turn things around and start getting those points on the board.

Oh, and it helped to hear that Millwall had faltered again at home and Palace conceded a late goal - neither clubs much better off than ourselves at this point.

Bring on the Town & keep the faith !

I am .
  • Options
    Good to get our losing run out of the way so early in the season! Thought Chrissy had learnt the lesson of not playing players out of their strongest position long ago at Stevenage when he dropped Solly for Morrison. It's been evident for weeks that Jackson out wide in this league is not going to work. Stephens is prone to giving the ball away cheaply, so don't play him deep, use his creative abilities higher up the pitch. Always said that Green would thrive in this league with more space. We need width, and it's no coincidence that Fuller and Kerkar always make a big difference. They are big skillful players and put the fear of god into defenders. Hopefully the solutions are staring Chrissy in the face and he gets it sorted nice and early in the season
  • Options
    Its gonna be tough, we re gonna lose more than we win, the lack of investment has been costly and the step up is proving too much for a lot of the players, but chris is smart and at least we saw some proper attacking yesterday, some spark and some genuine threat and pressure, now powell has to simply replicate for a longer time period.

we are going to lose more than we win, but powell will get there, SIGN REO COCKER rich people ...
  • Options
    It has pretty much all been said. Relegation form at the moment I'm afraid but, by the sound of it, the last 20 minutes we were like a different team. Was that because Derby took their foot off the gas or just that we were better? Probably a bit of both. Kerkar and Fuller certainly made a difference and Green was a revelation in the 2nd half. I must admit I'm surprised how bad we've been so far this year. i thought, after walking it last year, we'd at least have enough with the same squad to be comfortably mid table. Wrong. It's time to stop the loyalty to the oldies and start correcting the problems. Come on Chris.
  • Options
    Great post Fanny! I wasnt there so your view has added the silver lining to the CAFC cloud!
  • Options
    “Chris Powell wants his players to take the momentum from the late rally against Derby County forward in this Championship season.”

Then why not start with the team and formation that gets that rally, go a couple up, then sub off the players that look knackered!?

I just can't see the logic.

We are a fraction of the team we was last season, obviously I understand we are playing better opposition but we was putting our lives on the line for every challenge in league one, we were never brilliant and scored lots of goals, we were just hard to beat. Where has the passion and agression gone??