Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County v. Charlton Athletic 2012 Post-Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options

Funny I can't recall such a homogenous view on here than the reaction to the team. Then with the failure to freshen it up at half time. Whatever the issues are or are not behind the scenes the issues in the last few games have been on the touchline. Won't be a popular view, but there it is.

Oh I see. The only senior level signing for a division higher is Wilson, who hasn't actually played at this level before, plus a still unfit Fuller, and it's all Powell's fault. Still, it's a step up for you to admit there might be issues behind the scenes. On the threads which discuss such matters you constantly attack people who suggest any such thing.

Touchy.

I'd say more try and clarify what is fact and what is opinion but have it as you will. All I was trying to suggest is that, on the match thread, there was considerable consternation that Solly was starting at left back and that central\left midfield hadn't been changed despite being the weakest areas vs. Forest and Palace; and that despite a dreadful first 45 minutes no subs were made.

If you could leave the behind the scenes issue behind for one minute, we went into this match with a squad and most folk didn't think that the team that started both halves was as well balanced as it could have been given. Powell himself suggested that he'd be looking to make changes in the next game based on how the game finished.
  • Options
    Hopefully, CP will not allow the last 25 minutes to mask the need to shake things up
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Powell has to take most responsibility for last night im afraid. Yes, the players let him down but he had the opportunity to change it up from the off and he never. when we made the subs, there sounded alot more fluidity to our play.

love the guy, but sometimes he does get it wrong, and being 3-0 down after an hour is getting it wrong. the vast majority of people on here could see what was needed since friday but he didnt. or if he did, why didnt he go with it?
  • Options
    Lessons learnt last night and SCP will know that more than anyone. If there are any means to get an experienced LB and CM in on loan, I think we should, but otherwise, flood the midfield away from home and start getting the home team's fans and players frustrated for a half. We are not in Lge 1, we have stepped up and I expect us to lose a lot more away games that we'll win. We've lost 2 away games by the odd goal so far and my only real disappointment to date is with the Palace result, both performance and lino's decision for BWP's goal.

This team will evolve and I genuinely believe that if he relaxes his loyalties a little, we'll start picking up again very soon. A point at Ipswich is not beyond us, then we should look to upset Blackburn.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

How many players had reading signed that summer and how much did they spend in Jan?

Time to gel for new players and all that

That's the first thing I thought !

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Reading_F.C._season

To be honest it doesn't look like they made many massive signings, maybe just legiterwood and le fondre.
    Jason Roberts joined them (maybe on loan...not sure), he made a big difference.
  • Options
    We're 5 games in and the hysterics are startig already.

Hollands and Stephens have played lge 1 most of careerr they're entitled to a little time to bed in. I mean a Prem team wanted Stephens. We're not getting battered its odd goal defeats . CP deserves our patience he'll get it right. Bit of luck here or there and these odd goal defeats could have been draws , forest apart.

• Options
    Lessons learnt last night and SCP will know that more than anyone. If there are any means to get an experienced LB and CM in on loan, I think we should, but otherwise, flood the midfield away from home and start getting the home team's fans and players frustrated for a half. We are not in Lge 1, we have stepped up and I expect us to lose a lot more away games that we'll win. We've lost 2 away games by the odd goal so far and my only real disappointment to date is with the Palace result, both performance and lino's decision for BWP's goal.

This team will evolve and I genuinely believe that if he relaxes his loyalties a little, we'll start picking up again very soon. A point at Ipswich is not beyond us, then we should look to upset Blackburn.
  • Options

Powell has to take most responsibility for last night im afraid. Yes, the players let him down but he had the opportunity to change it up from the off and he never. when we made the subs, there sounded alot more fluidity to our play.

love the guy, but sometimes he does get it wrong, and being 3-0 down after Ian hour is getting it wrong. the vast majority of people on here could see what was needed since friday but he didnt. or if he did, why didnt he go with it?

Gary he's already said fuller getting stronger so obv not match fit. You'd moan f he started fuller and dragged after 50 cos he's blowin out his ass best to play him last 30 when oppo tired at the moment. He's missing chances as well
    Of course he gonna make mistakes what manager doesnt its how he learns from them that matters.
    Only 5/6 game in patience is needed.

• Options
    Ledge said:

love the guy, but sometimes he does get it wrong, and being 3-0 down after Ian hour is getting it wrong. the vast majority of people on here could see what was needed since friday but he didnt. or if he did, why didnt he go with it?

Gary he's already said fuller getting stronger so obv not match fit. You'd moan f he started fuller and dragged after 50 cos he's blowin out his ass best to play him last 30 when oppo tired at the moment. He's missing chances as well
    Of course he gonna make mistakes what manager doesnt its how he learns from them that matters.
    Only 5/6 game in patience is needed.

if you look at the pre match thread i didnt want him to start fuller. the changes had to be rung in midfield and also ensure solly started RB and a natural left footed player was left back.

i know its early doors, but theres nothing wrong with asking questions of the managers decisions surely?
  • Options
    Wasn't at the match and didn't follow the match thread. After reading this thread I'm just hoping CP is learning and can turn it round before too long. Last season we got into the habit of winning - we're in danger of getting into the habit of losing this season, which can be difficult to turn round - as some recent previous managers have found.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sam3110 said:

Powell is a great man and I dont doubt his man management or his eye for a player, but I am still unsure over his tactical nous and his ability to turn it around when things aren't going our way

101 points says you're wrong, but I'm not having a dig at you. As several people said, we presume to tell Chris Powell about the left back position, when he was the finest left back I ever saw in a Charlton shirt (since 1962). I was surprised he didnt start Evina, but he sure as hell had his reasons. Give Chris Powell a break and don't let the mob persuade you otherwise. This is not the squad he would have wanted or even expected, I am sure of that.

It doesn't say much about Evina though, not being picked tonight, and he was on the bench so it can't have been fitness. Powell doesn't seem to rate him...
    More likely he doesn't want to be seen to make panic changes. We seem to lack 4-5-1 solidity away and pace of Haynes, Pritch & Waggy on break. Diamond needs to be binned. 4-4-2 at home. As a fan of Yann, he moves forward to long balls, hence wins most headers, whereas Hayes, Fuller, Smith back onto defenders and bring ball down. Food for thought.
    I'm not sure playing Evina counts as a 'panic' change, playing your reserve LB at LB is the obvious change, he's not a 17 year old, he's at the age when he should be able to immediately slot in - if he's good enough...
  • Options
    It is clear that there is a much bigger gulf between the divisions than I thought. This league has moved on from when we last graced it. Far too early to panic and we should have faith in SCP to work out what needs to be done. Remember he is also new to management at this level.

Most has been said but as one of the 400 or so faithful in attendance I'll just add

1. Picking out Wilson for criticism is harsh and unfair
    2, we had precious little experience at this level on the pitch and it showed
    3. The idea that it is useful to string a few passes together in our own half then pass it to Hamer to hoof is misconceived. We only look good with the ball on the deck played to feet and Kermy is not going to win as many of those hoof balls as he did last season
    4. I still think this squad can step up. We have had a reality check. But as some have said, SCP will have to leave sentiment out of it.
    5 the travelling fans stepped up to the mark again vocally.
  • Options
    Got to say I agree with most of whats being said here. Solly should be playing in his position, RB. Glad Green played well and hopefully we can keep that width but need something similar on the left. If that's Kerkar then great but we're lacking width.

Love Powell but hes learning still and hopefully quickly cause changes are needed to both the 1st 11 and the tactics else we'll be stuck in and around the bottom 6 for this season. Just wish he'd have the confidence to chop and change a bit more and sub a little earlier. Championship is very different to L1 and hes still finding his feet. What we do need to do is give him our patience.

Cant wait to see more of Fuller, he may buy us 5-10 points this season when up and running. Its looking like we'll need em
  • Options
    Briefly: Changes to the starting 11 are needed. Fuller should be 90 minute fit by now. If he isn't he needs to get his arse in gear and train harder. Kerkar needs to start and Cort is looking creaky at the back. There appears to be nil money for reinforcements. Powell needs to make better use of the players he has. It won't be easy but he needs to get a grip now. Charlton historically go on long winning runs, and long losing ones. This losing sequence needs to be addressed, and that is stating the obvious.
  • Options

It is clear that there is a much bigger gulf between the divisions than I thought. This league has moved on from when we last graced it. Far too early to panic and we should have faith in SCP to work out what needs to be done. Remember he is also new to management at this level.

Most has been said but as one of the 400 or so faithful in attendance I'll just add

1. Picking out Wilson for criticism is harsh and unfair
    2, we had precious little experience at this level on the pitch and it showed
    3. The idea that it is useful to string a few passes together in our own half then pass it to Hamer to hoof is misconceived. We only look good with the ball on the deck played to feet and Kermy is not going to win as many of those hoof balls as he did last season
    4. I still think this squad can step up. We have had a reality check. But as some have said, SCP will have to leave sentiment out of it.
    5 the travelling fans stepped up to the mark again vocally.

as someone who was at the game, your opinion is much more valid on last nights performance.

point 3 was our problem last season as well. there was too much direct passing to Yanns head. the guy has got a great touch and is as strong as an ox. we need to get it into him quicker and on the floor. that brings our midfield into play, who have so much talent with the ball. they look completely lost and unfit when the ball is bypassing them all game.
  • Options
    Maybe things are unsettled within the group

We don't know what's going on but we needed to strengthen the centre mid position that was very obvious at brum and in every game since

When the hands are tied behind your back it's hard to swim

• Options
    NZAddick said:

Why is everyone demanding Fuller start?

“It is a matter of building up my minutes before I can start a game.

“I don’t want to be stupid and rush in when I’m not 100 per cent fit and get myself injured - that’s the worst thing I would want.

“It is about building up my fitness and hopefully everything will be fine in the next couple of games.”
    - Ricardo Fuller, yesterday.

SCP making him say that? Or just maybe he isn't starting for a good reason.

Agree with you NZ, by his own admission he isn't 90 minutes fit at the moment although not that far off I think, however, we have already seen his obvious ability strength and composure when he has played, when he is on the pitch things happen, so it makes sense to keep him as a 2nd half strengthener for time being rather than playing him for 30 minutes in 1st half with no obvious replacement... how would that look to the opposition. I think SCP's got it right in this instance
  • Options

we needed to strengthen the centre mid position that was very obvious at brum and in every game since

as much as i agree an experienced CM might freshen things up, i do think if CP goes with natural width, ie Kerkar and Green, it gives JJ/Stephens/Hollands/pritchard a bit more space. That tight diamond is far too narrow. Stephens loves to get it and switch play, then go get it again. If hes got no options, he gets caught, something we've seen far too often this season. I honestly think the talent is there, it just needs to be used correctly.

im coming across like i think i know more than CP, of course i dont, its just my opinion of the players we have.
  • Options
    6 (six)
    40 (forty) left.
  • Options

It was crying out for CP to grow some nomads and make changes at half time.

Are nomads players who wander from club to club?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why do we start a game so poorly , and then put up a fight when its too late?
  • Options

Why do we start a game so poorly , and then put up a fight when its too late?

Because the starting formation is too narrow and restricted, the players do not have the skill for midfield pitter patter. A few changes, more width, we are more comfortable. Also, 3-0 down, perversely the heat is off, the players perhaps take a nothing to lose attitude and relax
  • Options
    We have started slowly for the last 18 months. We never attack a team from the off. We start slowly and grow into the game. Need to up the tempo from the off and that is something else Powell needs to sort out
  • Options

Shameful and moronic criticism of Saint Chris.

Like we know more than he does about who to pick for Charlton in the full-back position.

With all those games we have played at left-back for Charlton in the Premiership, for England and coaching defenders at Leicester and other clubs with advice from top coaches and experienced former players like Saint Keith of Peacock.

We of course know much more than him and are far better placed to pick the Charlton defence on the basis of watching err... a few games as a spectator when we err.... lost

Dear God, give me strength...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    this is exactly why we cant have any decent football debate on this site anymore. Any time you try and talk about decisions, players etc you are immediately shot down as a hater, a bad fan or talking 'utter drivel'. nobody here thinks they are better than SCP, however they are genuinly concerned with some tactics etc. this is the place to talk about it.

fuck it ill just stick to the would yas
  • Options
    I think, or rather hope, that Grumpy is being his usual playful, satirical self
  • Options

This is just my opinion which is just as valid as yours.

That's why we have debates.

I am not saying that SCP is above criticism or comment but to start implying that we know better than him on who to pick as a Charlton full back seems to me pretty bonkers.

Feel free to disagree. Its (almost) a free country.
  • Options
    you would think up until the last sentence. if he is then 'whoooosh' n all that.
  • Options
    Pointing out (to her) that the Missus has a zit on her arse doth not mean I do not love her.

Was it Goethe who said that?
  • Options
    was there last night, very disappointing first half could have easily been 3-0 at half time just could not keep the ball.

2nd half we were the better team, despite them getting 2 goals one of which was a sloppy back pass and the other a penalty. Green absolutely ran the show second half he scored a wonder goal plus set up the 2nd, he was passing there left back at will, kerkar and fuller were brilliant coming on, kerkar shows such composure on the ball and was so creative, fuller seemed to send the derby defense into panic every time he got the ball.....2 goal line clearances from derby in the 2nd half!!we need some luck!!!

p.s wilson was so bad last night (i was one of the few people who thought he was good against palace).