Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poland v England (game off, 4pm Wednesday)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2012
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

England's players are to part-fund a £50,000 money-back scheme for fans affected by Tuesday's postponed qualifier in Warsaw.

The match against Poland was cancelled because of a waterlogged pitch, but rescheduled for 16:00 BST on Wednesday.

Some 2,500 England fans travelled to Warsaw for Tuesday's original game.

"The team appreciate the support we receive away from home," captain Steven Gerrard said. "We know fans have spent money and taken time off work."

Meanwhile, the Football Association said its Polish counterpart would set up a ticket refund process for those unable to attend Wednesday's rearranged fixture in Warsaw.

"To claim a refund, members will be asked to send their ticket to The FA at Wembley," said a statement on the FA website. "We will then collate all the tickets and pass them back to the Polish FA.

Wonder how many England armchair fans/moaners and media outlets will turn a blind eye to this great gesture?

If Charlton got a 1-1 draw in the manner in the way that England did today, there's no way there would be such over the top comments as there are today.

606 is actually infuriating to listen to after England matches, no idea why I bother listening to it.

erm yes there would. If we got a draw away at a poorer team and gave away possesion that cheaply, then people wouldnt be happy.

im usually on your side of the fence when it comes to england and think people go way over the top, but last night was a slightly worrying performance i think as it was no improvement at all on the Ukraine game, perhaps even worse.

four main concerns....we have no natural big forward that allows rooney to drop deep. defoe cannot play up on his own. then theres the fact we have no natural left midfielder. poor old ashley cole was on his own as cleverley done his natural thing of drifting inside. glen johnson is a terrible defender and shouldnt be picked on his 'going forward capabilities', hes the wrong side pretty much every single time. and finally our ball retention is woeful. when we make a 5 yard pass, its looks panicky and there is no movement at all. so all that happens is theres small passes until someone either makes a mistake, a hollywood ball goes out for a throw or its given away cheaply.

Do we need a big forward? It looks to me like Roy is trying to play a more passing game, I know it's hard to tell from last night. At the very least its a more possession based game than we are used to. To be successful at international level that is the way to go imo. However, will the players be patient enough with it? Most of them aren't used to that style. And will the fans/press be patient enough? I fear not.

Also I wouldn't have Rooney starting, I think we play much better without him. He isn't disciplined enough to play in a team that is focussed on retaining possession. I know most won't agree with me on this and I know no England manager will have the balls to drop him so it is a bit of a moot point.
    I mean a forward that can hold up the ball, therefore retaining possesion. he doesnt necessarily have to be big, but if you look at the way lewandowski played last night, he had the skill of holding the ball up for Poland and bringing others into play.

If we have a pinpoint player upfront then it allows a passing game further up the pitch. our pasing is mainly between our back four.

Rooney is a strange one, hes got that knack of making something happen, but i agree last night he was toilet.
  • Options
    I like Roy.
    I don't think playing Cleverley left mid was his best moment though. Also think the game was set up for Andy Carroll, should have put him on instead of Welbeck.
  • Options
    I was out there. Could not stay for yesterday's effort - back home in Holland early evening.

Gutted. I am well ill now and this trip was probably my swansong. Very heavy physically for me. Went with my son and his mates and they looked after me superbly - the only consolation but a great one. Top lads, one and all.

Appalling way for fans to be treated (home and away alike). Tues night the England team were not allowed to greet the fans - blocked by security. As for the match, the fans were owed a better performance than they got (same old, same old ....).

• Options
    I thought that a great player to have on the left side would have been Leighton Baines. Always very reliable, and is of course a naturally left sided player.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

England's players are to part-fund a £50,000 money-back scheme for fans affected by Tuesday's postponed qualifier in Warsaw.

The match against Poland was cancelled because of a waterlogged pitch, but rescheduled for 16:00 BST on Wednesday.

"The team appreciate the support we receive away from home," captain Steven Gerrard said. "We know fans have spent money and taken time off work."

Meanwhile, the Football Association said its Polish counterpart would set up a ticket refund process for those unable to attend Wednesday's rearranged fixture in Warsaw.

"To claim a refund, members will be asked to send their ticket to The FA at Wembley," said a statement on the FA website. "We will then collate all the tickets and pass them back to the Polish FA.

Wonder how many England armchair fans/moaners and media outlets will turn a blind eye to this great gesture?

If Charlton got a 1-1 draw in the manner in the way that England did today, there's no way there would be such over the top comments as there are today.

606 is actually infuriating to listen to after England matches, no idea why I bother listening to it.

erm yes there would. If we got a draw away at a poorer team and gave away possesion that cheaply, then people wouldnt be happy.

im usually on your side of the fence when it comes to england and think people go way over the top, but last night was a slightly worrying performance i think as it was no improvement at all on the Ukraine game, perhaps even worse.

four main concerns....we have no natural big forward that allows rooney to drop deep. defoe cannot play up on his own. then theres the fact we have no natural left midfielder. poor old ashley cole was on his own as cleverley done his natural thing of drifting inside. glen johnson is a terrible defender and shouldnt be picked on his 'going forward capabilities', hes the wrong side pretty much every single time. and finally our ball retention is woeful. when we make a 5 yard pass, its looks panicky and there is no movement at all. so all that happens is theres small passes until someone either makes a mistake, a hollywood ball goes out for a throw or its given away cheaply.

Do we need a big forward? It looks to me like Roy is trying to play a more passing game, I know it's hard to tell from last night. At the very least its a more possession based game than we are used to. To be successful at international level that is the way to go imo. However, will the players be patient enough with it? Most of them aren't used to that style. And will the fans/press be patient enough? I fear not.

Also I wouldn't have Rooney starting, I think we play much better without him. He isn't disciplined enough to play in a team that is focussed on retaining possession. I know most won't agree with me on this and I know no England manager will have the balls to drop him so it is a bit of a moot point.
    I mean a forward that can hold up the ball, therefore retaining possesion. he doesnt necessarily have to be big, but if you look at the way lewandowski played last night, he had the skill of holding the ball up for Poland and bringing others into play.

If we have a pinpoint player upfront then it allows a passing game further up the pitch. our pasing is mainly between our back four.

Rooney is a strange one, hes got that knack of making something happen, but i agree last night he was toilet.
    Agree with you on the striker looking to hold the ball up. However, say we had one of those, what would happen to Rooney? I can't see him being able to play with someone like that. 90% of the game we would end up with no one feeding off the hold up man.

I think Rooney would be far more effective is his position was switched to a more attcking midfielder type, he has all the attributes to do that well but that won't happen.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I thought that a great player to have on the left side would have been Leighton Baines. Always very reliable, and is of course a naturally left sided player.

agree with that, thought he was a bit unlucky to lose his place at l/back anyway.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

Agree with you on the striker looking to hold the ball up. However, say we had one of those, what would happen to Rooney? I can't see him being able to play with someone like that. 90% of the game we would end up with no one feeding off the hold up man.

I think Rooney would be far more effective is his position was switched to a more attcking midfielder type, he has all the attributes to do that well but that won't happen.
    Yep agree. he could play in the hole and we have two out and out wingers either side of him (OX & Walcott maybe), a 4-5-1/4-3-3.
  • Options
    I thought Hodgson was a great appointment but haven't been too impressed with some of his pics. Cleverley isn't ready and Milner is pretty one dimensional. Baines is our best left back and gives us more going forward. Still, I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

I have never got the Joe Hart love in either. He makes too many errors for me. I'd probably still pick him because there is a shortage of top keepers to choose from but he has a lot of improving to do.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

I thought Hodgson was a great appointment but haven't been too impressed with some of his pics. Cleverley isn't ready and Milner is pretty one dimensional. Baines is our best left back and gives us more going forward. Still, I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

I have never got the Joe Hart love in either. He makes too many errors for me. I'd probably still pick him because there is a shortage of top keepers to choose from but he has a lot of improving to do.

JH is still only 25, which at international GK level is still fairly young. His decision making will improve with age and he'll be the best keeper in the world.
  • Options
    Big fan of Joe Hart. When you look at some of the keepers we've had in recent years - Rob Green, Scott Carson (OK, that one mistake cost him big time), Paul Robinson had a few clangers, Ben Foster didn't even want to play for England. We've not really had a sure and steady keeper we could rely on since David Seaman until Hart came along.