Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Voice of The Valley

Comments

• Options
    No hatred of blogs or forums, just think the heyday of VOTV came before their explosion
  • Options
    It does seem that Jimenez has fallen out with just about everyone of his business pals:

Vetere leaves Charlton after a few months.
    Newell leaves his directorship after a few months.
    Dennis Wise suing him over a reported six-hundred grand debt over Les Bordes finance.
    Kevin Cash runoured to have withdrawn funding and looking to get rid of his and his solicitors shares.
    Varney leaves his directorship after 18 months.

I can see Murray challenging him to a fight outside before long.

• Options

If Rick needs a bit of funding to get it off the ground, who's in?

If Rick starts VOTV again, I would be proud to stick a few quid in the fund.
  • Options

There are 3 people who could give a clear statement. That's why they were all effectively sacked !

Yes, but they haven't given a clear statement yet so unless you are one of those 3 people or you know them personally and they have told you in confidence - you are one of the majority of the fans who are the dark as to exactly what is 'going on'. Until the majority of fans aren't in the dark, or at least in dim half light, we won't be seeing any mass protests.
  • Options

Does any club do fanzines these days? Blog rules.

Just had a quick look and it seems as though some long running fanzines are still going very strong....

A Love Supreme - Sunderland

The City Gent - Bradford City

The Mag - Newcastle

....to name just three.

Used to love going into Sports Pages on Charing Cross Road to pick up some other clubs fanzines.

A kick up the R's (QPR) was stupidly funny and The Memoirs of Seth Bottomley (Port Vale) was just brilliant.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps hatred was a strong word regarding blogs/websites; perhaps reluctance? I can fully see why people would like to return to the original VOTV medium - even I like the idea, but I can't help but thinking an on-line approach could be a good way to go.

The barriers to printing must be quite high? I've no idea - but I'm assuming there are fees for printing, designs have to be perfect, it takes quite a long time and so on. On top of that you have to actually push them out to people and try to claw back some profit. Compare that to £10 for a domain name and a years worth of hosting, an hour installing something like wordpress, and perhaps an afternoon configuring it and creating a new theme.

It wouldn't rule out the possibility for a "traditional style" zine though; it would perhaps offer the opportunity of a smaller - thus cheaper (more popular then?) - zine that just contains 'the juicy bits'. All fans will be able to get the crux of the news regardless of whether they get the zine, but more fans will get the zine as it will inevitably be cheaper to acquire. The web presence could give indicators of just how much demand there is for the zine (through analytics) which could save more money as there should be less potential wastage of any unsold zines.

Please note, I'm just musing and throwing my thoughts out there - I'm aware this may or may not actually happen, that it's all down to Rick himself to decide and so on...
  • Options
    VOTV could and maybe should be rebranded as the mouth piece of the supporters trust
  • Options
    "Don't dilly-dally get your Voice of The Valley"

"Get your Voice, it's your only choice"

I'd buy it....
  • Options
    cfgs said:

VOTV could and maybe should be rebranded as the mouth piece of the supporters trust

I don't know what Razil and co. would think but most things need a BRAND to make them successful, not a bad idea methinks.

• Options
    used to buy VOTV and the programme......was part of the ritual of a "normal" Saturday in exile....whilst i understand the internet has taken over to some extent it can never replace VOTV in my book.
    A great read - while on the subject I recall Gillinghams fanzine was called "Brian Moores head looks uncannily like the London Planetarium"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I'd love to read a new modern voice current and up too date Voice of the Valley , but are the yoof interested , as i fear the fan base from back then has diminished somewhat and is it financially viable?
  • Options
    Will shove a few quid in and sell copies.
  • Options

It does seem that Jimenez has fallen out with just about everyone of his business pals:

Vetere leaves Charlton after a few months.
    Newell leaves his directorship after a few months.
    Dennis Wise suing him over a reported six-hundred grand debt over Les Bordes finance.
    Kevin Cash runoured to have withdrawn funding and looking to get rid of his and his solicitors shares.
    Varney leaves his directorship after 18 months.

I can see Murray challenging him to a fight outside before long.

Don't forget Steve Kavanagh, Harry !
  • Options
    No reason why we would have to share a brand, collaboration might be a better word, let's see
  • Options

I'd love to read a new modern voice current and up too date Voice of the Valley , but are the yoof interested , as i fear the fan base from back then has diminished somewhat and is it financially viable?

Surely we have a bigger fanbase now than when VOTV was being sold at Selhurst/Upton Park/92 onwards at the valley?

• Options
    VOTV was a bloody good read. If it returns, it is important that tradition is held up. If that is the case- there is a better market thanks to Rick than there previously was.
  • Options

If Rick needs a bit of funding to get it off the ground, who's in?

Yes
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    DanDavis said:

Surely we have a bigger fanbase now than when VOTV was being sold at Selhurst/Upton Park/92 onwards at the valley?

Sure we do Dan , i know what your saying, i loved VOTV , but was it just right for its time ( some would say its right for now! ).

I look back and get all misty eyed about something that was good from the past , that is missing from the now , only Rick will know if its right , or whether it has had its day , in terms of cost of printing , how much it would have to sell for , and whether its a labour of love or a viable financial risk worth taking i guess we've all grown up , would we still laugh at stuff we laughed at 20 years ago, i don't know some things wear well with time , but not everything.

When VOTV went i bought that Goodbye Horse fanzine , but it wasn't as good , and soon sank without trace.
  • Options
    Cant chuck any money in, but id subscribe to a paper version. Im pretty sure you would reach more people too by making a physical copy, rather than restricting it to internet only.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Cant chuck any money in, but id subscribe to a paper version. Im pretty sure you would reach more people too by making a physical copy, rather than restricting it to internet only.

This.

Some get there news from the internet, like no doubt many on here do. i however and others i know buy a paper every day to get there news/opinions.
    I also know charlton fans who dont use any internet forum (or the internet much in general) and would gratefully receive a physical copy to get their charlton news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Echo this, Karim.

And I'd be happy to contribute something towards costs.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Sure we do Dan , i know what your saying, i loved VOTV , but was it just right for its time ( some would say its right for now! ).

I look back and get all misty eyed about something that was good from the past , that is missing from the now , only Rick will know if its right , or whether it has had its day , in terms of cost of printing , how much it would have to sell for , and whether its a labour of love or a viable financial risk worth taking i guess we've all grown up , would we still laugh at stuff we laughed at 20 years ago, i don't know some things wear well with time , but not everything.

When VOTV went i bought that Goodbye Horse fanzine , but it wasn't as good , and soon sank without trace.
    I know exactly what you are saying....I used to love Mark and Lard on Radio 1 but they would never be able to return now....maybe everything does have its time and place?
  • Options
    There is a market as people tend to have a bit of time to read it in the stadium before the match or on th etrain home- or even on the loo when they get home! There are more supporters going now and people would buy it as a good read and not sterile opinions rather than a source of news. It will have to appeal to as may fans a s possible so needs to be about the football for the large part - but by attracting a sizeable readership it can make the telling points it needs to. Sure lots of regulars on here can contribute articles to ensure there is enough content - which will also be important.
  • Options
    The tricky thing these days, is that people are used to instant information, getting match report straight after the game, or even during the game, finding out about news and rumours 24/7.

If I heard something really important on the Wednesday before publication, would I hold it back for the print edition VOTV out on Saturday, or immediately blurt it out here?
  • Options
    You provide a different type of match report - an opinionated one!
  • Options

The tricky thing these days, is that people are used to instant information, getting match report straight after the game, or even during the game, finding out about news and rumours 24/7.

If I heard something really important on the Wednesday before publication, would I hold it back for the print edition VOTV out on Saturday, or immediately blurt it out here?

Hence my thought about an on-line implementation, with a paper 'opinion' supplementation if you like. Or part of it that isn't strictly news based.

• Options
    A idea for the front cover?
  • Options

Hope there'll be some sort of subscription available for exiles in a paper copy. Reading online won't be the same as clutching it on A5.

I agree, I'm happy to subscribe to a Kindle type version, but its never the same as a real live, in colour, product. I think there are a number of overseas supporters who would like a copy one way or the other. I'm also happy to be part of the set up costs if needed.

• Options
    I would love to have a fans fanzine and would buy it.
  • Options
    Won't be a fanzine or a blog/website I hear.

Instead Rick will be using the vehicles of mime and modern dance to physically represent the inner conflict inherent within Charlton at present.