Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Voice of The Valley

Comments

• Options

- the less said about 'goodbye horse' and other pretenders the better.

Love you too...
  • Options
    What were the average sales of GH P?
  • Options
    new website launching 29th October - doesnt look much like the old fanzine

http://www.voiceofthevalley.com/

• Options
    Jazz has no place in any type of football fanzine.

A series of endless random notes by guys who have been up for two weeks with out sleep !
  • Options
    I took it to mean it was now a jazz mag? Didn't see that one...er...coming...
  • Options
    still have every copy in the loft...might blow the dust off
  • Options
    Guess we'll soon be queuing at Waterstone's in Bluewater for Airman to sign our first editions.
  • Options

Jazz has no place in any type of football fanzine.

A series of endless random notes by guys who have been up for two weeks with out sleep !

You could be describing the England band there GH.

• Options
    more like the England football team if you took out the word guys and inserted the word tossers in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is StigThundercock really saying he had a problem with the grammar and spelling in VOTV . . . that's one criticism I've never heard before!

I also think some of you are a bit harsh on GBH.

• Options
    Nowt wrong with the odd mistake IMO Most footy fanzines are a good read.

Still have my Voice and GBH Issues and also a decent amount of fanzines from away games i attended.

Didn't really have to time to Proofread any before buying but them but i always found them informative and interesting, Love Supreme was a good read
  • Options
    GBH suffered because at the time there was nothing to really moan about. The hits on CL after a defeat bear testiment to the fact that people prefer to discuss bad news than good. VOTV had a clear campaign to get behind and penty of targets for criticism. GBH was trying to sell copy while we were all happy, the poor thing never stood a chance.
  • Options
    Does the grammar and spelling have to actually come into it, wee all make miztakes!
    It's a fanzine i bought them to get an insight into what was going on not worry about the grammar and spelling content.

Never had a problem on that score.
  • Options
    Thundercock is on a wind up. Ignore.
  • Options

Is StigThundercock really saying he had a problem with the grammar and spelling in VOTV . . . that's one criticism I've never heard before!

I also think some of you are a bit harsh on GBH.

Thanks mate, the cheque's in the post... :-)

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I would love to see the return of the Voice, I used to look forward to each addition and would always buy it instead of the programme if money was short.

However times have changed. To me the VOTV had three main strengths, firstly it was a great force in the ongoing campaign to get the club back home and financially secure. Secondly It was informative in that we finally had some insight into what was happening in and around the club (alongside Charlton Live on RTM). Finally It was well written and gave the fans some influence on how the club was run and the issues we felt were important.

There are still issues at the club, but these are now discussed on forums such as this, where information is updated continuously. The magazine format Voice would struggle to be relevant and up to date in comparison. Secondly the means of obtaining free information on the club is much easier now with the net around, and the Voice would only supply info up to two weeks old.

In my opinion the Voice would need to rely on quality infotainment such as articles on the club unobtainable elsewhere, ie in depth features and interviews on previous & current players. This would require the cooperation of the club, I imagine, and could compromise editorial independence.

I would love to see it back, but the world has moved on and it will have to work hard to find a relevant role in the current times.
  • Options
    Still think there should be a votv proper fanzine alongside a blog. Many people (like my old man) won't touch forums like Charlton life with a barge pole, gets most his info from Wyn's blog as they're good friends. I remember him picking up GBH years ago when he was a season ticket holder and I was just getting old enough to understand Charlton properly. So I think fans like him would perhaps be interested in the votv brand coming back.
  • Options

GBH suffered because at the time there was nothing to really moan about. The hits on CL after a defeat bear testiment to the fact that people prefer to discuss bad news than good. VOTV had a clear campaign to get behind and penty of targets for criticism. GBH was trying to sell copy while we were all happy, the poor thing never stood a chance.

Another of the reasons we stopped. Much easier to moan than to find new and innovating ways of saying " Isn't this f***ing brilliant ".

I am immensely proud of my involvement in GBH, though Andy Lopata and Kevin Porch were the real driving forces behind it. But The Voice was the original and the best, it's part in the return to The Valley cannot be overstated.

I would love to see a return, in whatever format.

In answer to the earlier question, off the top of my head, about 1000 sales per issue ( I will check with Kev ) when the average home gate was 10k, and about 1100 when it got up to 20k...
  • Options
    I liked GBH (and not just saying that because Algarve is a mate)

Some of the away daze reviews were great, especially the Anglo Italian Cup.

VOTV was brilliant, even though I preferred the humour side to it than the drum banging against certain things about the club.

Didnt VOTV want Gritt over Curbs as well :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

...Didnt VOTV want Gritt over Curbs as well :)

How did that song go, "His name is Alan Curbishley; he's got no personality"?
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Didnt VOTV want Gritt over Curbs as well :)

Doubtful, as Gritt was sacked in June when there were no issues published. And that wasn't my view anyway, as far as I can remember. Admittedly, I wouldn't have done what RM did, but history says he was right.
  • Options
    Both VOTV and GBH were good publications. I distinctly remember VOTV being outraged that young triallist Mark Kinsella was slipping through our fingers after an impressive pre-season. Could have gone down that year if Kins hadn't signed, so it was pretty insightful stuff at the time.
  • Options
    I was bought up on VOTV and if i couldnt afford it myself I used to read a mates. but as someone saud it dome come ihand in hand wth our campaign to get back to the Valley. This was before all the forums etc, Rick are you definetly thinking of bringing this out again?
  • Options
    Is it out yet ?
  • Options

Is it out yet ?

Haven't you got your Clique issue yet?

• Options
    Anyone know when the next Addickted is out? Seems like about 20 years since the last one.
  • Options
    I've never come out. My sexuality is my business.
  • Options
    I distinctly remember 'you' being sold on street corners - probably a very niche market
  • Options
    I would agree, a very niche market!!!