Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things that make you feel old

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    It makes me feel old to hear that some poor bastard worked for 47 years in a bank! 
    I just can’t get my head around that. It’s like reading about immigrant workers in Qatar.
    We have had people do longer than 47 years !!!

Last year a bloke retired after 50 years service - he had been holding out for VR / package to go - never happened, so he simply retired - 2 months after he went, bank announced VR packages for people at his grade, poor sod !!!
    That's rough, how much money do you reckon he lost out on?
    North of £400k before tax I reckon 
    When I read how long he worked my first thought was why? To get that amount of redundancy he must have been on a fair salary. Obviously everyone has different circumstances and outlook on what’s important but money can’t buy time. He must be approaching his 70’s if not in them. Average life expectancy is good for us in this country but the last years are seldom the best.
     I say this because a former colleague of mine retired back in February age 80. He used go on nice cruises each year but not much else. But they stopped about 8 years ago. He has grandchildren, a retired wife and a lovely detached house in Twickenham. He also has had bladder cancer, a heart attack and a few less serious ailments. It wasn’t as if going to work kept him busy or that he needed the money, he said to many times that he couldn’t spend what he had. He wasn’t exactly an asset to the organisation, he did less and less each month and spent most of his work day avoiding doing anything. I just can’t imagine going on and on. 
    At least we know @Lordflashheart is all sorted when he calls it a day :)
    If the bloody kids would leave home we would be sorted - daughter is 27 in July, and showing no signs of going anywhere !!!
  • Options
    It makes me feel old to hear that some poor bastard worked for 47 years in a bank! 
    I just can’t get my head around that. It’s like reading about immigrant workers in Qatar.

Last year a bloke retired after 50 years service - he had been holding out for VR / package to go - never happened, so he simply retired - 2 months after he went, bank announced VR packages for people at his grade, poor sod !!!
    When I read how long he worked my first thought was why? To get that amount of redundancy he must have been on a fair salary. Obviously everyone has different circumstances and outlook on what’s important but money can’t buy time. He must be approaching his 70’s if not in them. Average life expectancy is good for us in this country but the last years are seldom the best.
     I say this because a former colleague of mine retired back in February age 80. He used go on nice cruises each year but not much else. But they stopped about 8 years ago. He has grandchildren, a retired wife and a lovely detached house in Twickenham. He also has had bladder cancer, a heart attack and a few less serious ailments. It wasn’t as if going to work kept him busy or that he needed the money, he said to many times that he couldn’t spend what he had. He wasn’t exactly an asset to the organisation, he did less and less each month and spent most of his work day avoiding doing anything. I just can’t imagine going on and on. 
    He worked that long because his daughter was studying to be a Doctor, thus a lot longer time at Uni / Medical School etc - she will finish her studies this summer, so it’s all happened to him at the right time 

Good for him, long service to the Bank, and put the hours in to fund his daughter 

Fair play 👏👏👏👏👏👏
  • Options
    edited June 4
  • Options
    Bloke in my department at my bank just taken VR - 47 years service - I’m now longest serving member of staff at 37 years service - 3 new joiners last few months - I was in my early, mid and late 20’s when they were born - team meeting this week, chatting with them, fucking hell I felt old - but I’m 54 in June, and I think I still look pretty sound - but being around people in their 20’s, my children aside, is a challenge 

Got talking with one of them - he likes cars - as do I - but when he looked bemused when I talked about cars having a choke back in the day 🤦🏻
    I'm the second longest-serving in my team, or (as I keep reminding people) only third if you ignore one of the older staff members having taken a long career break. One of the two is starting to offload responsibilities and making no secret of thinking about retiring, the other is very unhappy about where her office has just moved to and is grumbling about the commute so may well clear off as soon as her other half hits pension age. Help!!
  • Options
    Having a pain on my scalp that I can only attribute to getting sunburn through my hair. Wouldn't mind but it's not even been sunny.
  • Options

Why would they pay redundancy for somebody at retirement age?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Having a pain on my scalp that I can only attribute to getting sunburn through my hair. Wouldn't mind but it's not even been sunny.
    Have you checked for shingles?  Only ask as my son has had this twice on the scalp.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Why would they pay redundancy for somebody at retirement age?
    He simply got lucky TBH - they had a cull of people at his grade, which coincided with his daughter finishing medical school
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Have you checked for shingles?  Only ask as my son has had this twice on the scalp.
    Thanks for the advice.  I'll keep an eye on it , but hopefully OK now.
  • Options
    Noticing the look in my daughter's friend's eye as I related a story involving the 'old boy' next door.  I felt compelled to explain ... 'OK I am 70,  but he is 90!'
  • Options
    Commenting on how pretty she looked my granddaughter said “what’s a frock?”
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Bloke in my department at my bank just taken VR - 47 years service - I’m now longest serving member of staff at 37 years service - 3 new joiners last few months - I was in my early, mid and late 20’s when they were born - team meeting this week, chatting with them, fucking hell I felt old - but I’m 54 in June, and I think I still look pretty sound - but being around people in their 20’s, my children aside, is a challenge 

Got talking with one of them - he likes cars - as do I - but when he looked bemused when I talked about cars having a choke back in the day 🤦🏻
    My first car, a 1951 Ford Prefect, had a crank handle (and a choke)
    I've choked the crank handle a few times
    FRANKIE! 
  • Options
    Commenting on how pretty she looked my granddaughter said “what’s a frock?”
    Down with the kids Dips...  :D  
  • Options
    Last weekend I was at a softball tournament. Having music on is kind of traditional at these things and as usual whenever the playlist came round to something I remember from when I was a kid the younger members of the team were laughing about it.

So a Depeche Mode song comes up. The youngest members of the team are completely blank. What on earth is this? So we explain. And a player who's not quite twenty points out that the song is twice as old as he is.

He then points out that the song was released closer to the War than to the present day. Which is ridiculous, it was only 1981, it's not... Oh.
  • Options

At least we know @Lordflashheart is all sorted when he calls it a day :)
    If the bloody kids would leave home we would be sorted - daughter is 27 in July, and showing no signs of going anywhere !!!
    Loves her mum and dad.
  • Options
    On a positive note...
    i haven't got any Doctors/Hospital/Blood test appointments in the near future. Result.

• Options
    On a positive note...
    i haven't got any Doctors/Hospital/Blood test appointments in the near future. Result.

Happy to share some of mine 😉
  • Options
    When you see a priority seat sticker on the window next to your seat which makes you feel a little uncomfortable, until you realise you fall into the “elderly “ category 😥
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not being able to remember who Billy Clarke was.
  • Options
    Last weekend I was at a softball tournament. Having music on is kind of traditional at these things and as usual whenever the playlist came round to something I remember from when I was a kid the younger members of the team were laughing about it.

So a Depeche Mode song comes up. The youngest members of the team are completely blank. What on earth is this? So we explain. And a player who's not quite twenty points out that the song is twice as old as he is.

He then points out that the song was released closer to the War than to the present day. Which is ridiculous, it was only 1981, it's not... Oh.
    This set me thinking about when the cut-off is for a song to have been released closer to the first world war than to the present day. Half way back to November 1918 is August 1971. So every Beatles album was closer to WWI than to today.
  • Options
    edited June 11

This set me thinking about when the cut-off is for a song to have been released closer to the first world war than to the present day. Half way back to November 1918 is August 1971. So every Beatles album was closer to WWI than to today.
    Post war music reflected, or led ?, the changes in society and the general expansion of new ideas. The 70s probably were the pivotal times when the old and new really clashed and moved on and you only have to listen to radio stations like Heart 70s for an hour or two to realise how much extremely diverse and the multiple different directions pop music was simultaneously taking to realise how much was happening and changing at that time and in that particular decade. The WW2 reference is probably really apt because it was that generation that let the things WILL change momentum genie out of the box. Next time they have a dig, have a pop back and remind them how bland and one dimensional their ‘manufactured’ music is in comparison