Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things that make you feel old

Comments

• Options
    Bloke in my department at my bank just taken VR - 47 years service - I’m now longest serving member of staff at 37 years service - 3 new joiners last few months - I was in my early, mid and late 20’s when they were born - team meeting this week, chatting with them, fucking hell I felt old - but I’m 54 in June, and I think I still look pretty sound - but being around people in their 20’s, my children aside, is a challenge 

Got talking with one of them - he likes cars - as do I - but when he looked bemused when I talked about cars having a choke back in the day 🤦🏻
    It’s more of a challenge for those 20 year olds than it is for you.

The trouble with banks and other financial services firms is that there isn’t enough older gits around to mentor the 20 years to 40 years old people working in them. 

The resilience and experience you’ve built up is probably something they never will even though they are going to have to work longer.
  • Options
    It makes me feel old to hear that some poor bastard worked for 47 years in a bank! 
    I just can’t get my head around that. It’s like reading about immigrant workers in Qatar.
  • Options
    It makes me feel old to hear that some poor bastard worked for 47 years in a bank! 
    I just can’t get my head around that. It’s like reading about immigrant workers in Qatar.
    Anyone leaving school today at 18 will be looking at waiting 50 years until they can get their state pension (if the age it’s paid isn’t pushed back any further) so someone who worked for 47 years (most likely with a heavily subsidised social life if they worked that long in a bank) has more or less done their bit and anyone that didn’t work that long is freeloading off the younger generation who have to generate the wealth to pay pensions, state or otherwise.

If you ignore the periods of unemployment between jobs and the paper rounds and weekend jobs when I was at school, i’ve racked up 50 years of employment. Work, like life, is what you make it, only you get paid for working.
  • Options
    We have had people do longer than 47 years !!!

Last year a bloke retired after 50 years service - he had been holding out for VR / package to go - never happened, so he simply retired - 2 months after he went, bank announced VR packages for people at his grade, poor sod !!!
  • Options
    Lady next to me at work was 3 months old when I started work. And I don't even think of her as being young!  :'(
  • Options

Last year a bloke retired after 50 years service - he had been holding out for VR / package to go - never happened, so he simply retired - 2 months after he went, bank announced VR packages for people at his grade, poor sod !!!
    That's rough, how much money do you reckon he lost out on?
  • Options
    Bloke in my department at my bank just taken VR - 47 years service - I’m now longest serving member of staff at 37 years service - 3 new joiners last few months - I was in my early, mid and late 20’s when they were born - team meeting this week, chatting with them, fucking hell I felt old - but I’m 54 in June, and I think I still look pretty sound - but being around people in their 20’s, my children aside, is a challenge 

Got talking with one of them - he likes cars - as do I - but when he looked bemused when I talked about cars having a choke back in the day 🤦🏻
    Reminds me of talking to people only a few years older than me about double declutching, or (as a youth) operation of a kick start on a farm motorbike...

I was depressingly responsible at that age and didn't tick the box to automatically get a motorbike licence in passing my car driving test, as you could do in the mid '80s.

Speaking of which, as part of the process by which becoming a BAMBI becomes more attractive, it's depressing how the height of the saddle becomes more of a deciding factor (as a fat boy, a Fat Boy looks more and more apt with every passing year).  That said, being of an age that I used to watch CHIPS as a child, I have a residual fascination for Moto Guzzis...
  • Options
    Anyone leaving school today at 18 will be looking at waiting 50 years until they can get their state pension (if the age it’s paid isn’t pushed back any further) so someone who worked for 47 years (most likely with a heavily subsidised social life if they worked that long in a bank) has more or less done their bit and anyone that didn’t work that long is freeloading off the younger generation who have to generate the wealth to pay pensions, state or otherwise.

If you ignore the periods of unemployment between jobs and the paper rounds and weekend jobs when I was at school, i’ve racked up 50 years of employment. Work, like life, is what you make it, only you get paid for working.
    What does this mean - I’ve read it a few times and don’t understand the point being made?
  • Options
    The cost of living crisis thread. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 21

What does this mean - I’ve read it a few times and don’t understand the point being made?
    As well as in house social events and sports, a lot of entertaining still happens, plus seminars etc with drinks afterwards and somebody that’s been around in a bank that long will usually know how to make the most of the opportunities 😁. For a long while, about the only time I actually had to use my own money to buy a drink was when I went to the Valley or an away game.
  • Options

North of £400k before tax I reckon 
  • Options

As well as in house social events and sports, a lot of entertaining still happens, plus seminars etc with drinks afterwards and somebody that’s been around in a bank that long will usually know how to make the most of the opportunities 😁. For a long while, about the only time I actually had to use my own money to buy a drink was when I went to the Valley or an away game.
    I think it depends what bank you ate at and also what level 🙁
  • Options

Were probably waiting for him to f*** off :)
  • Options

When I read how long he worked my first thought was why? To get that amount of redundancy he must have been on a fair salary. Obviously everyone has different circumstances and outlook on what’s important but money can’t buy time. He must be approaching his 70’s if not in them. Average life expectancy is good for us in this country but the last years are seldom the best.
     I say this because a former colleague of mine retired back in February age 80. He used go on nice cruises each year but not much else. But they stopped about 8 years ago. He has grandchildren, a retired wife and a lovely detached house in Twickenham. He also has had bladder cancer, a heart attack and a few less serious ailments. It wasn’t as if going to work kept him busy or that he needed the money, he said to many times that he couldn’t spend what he had. He wasn’t exactly an asset to the organisation, he did less and less each month and spent most of his work day avoiding doing anything. I just can’t imagine going on and on. 
  • Options
    Ticking elasticated waist / pull cord in the filter when looking for a new pair of strides for the summer
  • Options

When I read how long he worked my first thought was why? To get that amount of redundancy he must have been on a fair salary. Obviously everyone has different circumstances and outlook on what’s important but money can’t buy time. He must be approaching his 70’s if not in them. Average life expectancy is good for us in this country but the last years are seldom the best.
     I say this because a former colleague of mine retired back in February age 80. He used go on nice cruises each year but not much else. But they stopped about 8 years ago. He has grandchildren, a retired wife and a lovely detached house in Twickenham. He also has had bladder cancer, a heart attack and a few less serious ailments. It wasn’t as if going to work kept him busy or that he needed the money, he said to many times that he couldn’t spend what he had. He wasn’t exactly an asset to the organisation, he did less and less each month and spent most of his work day avoiding doing anything. I just can’t imagine going on and on. 
    At least we know @Lordflashheart is all sorted when he calls it a day :)
  • Options

At least we know @Lordflashheart is all sorted when he calls it a day :)
    Stand aside…… he’s a “close friend” of the family 😉👍🙏
  • Options

My first car, a 1951 Ford Prefect, had a crank handle (and a choke)
  • Options

My second car
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Received an email from Amazon.

Hello Raith, looking for something in soils, fertilisers and mulches?

I'm sure others must get more exciting prompts  :/
  • Options
    First car 1954 Morris Minor, split windscreen and semaphore indicators.
  • Options
    If Back to the Future was made now, Marty would be travelling back to 1994. 
  • Options
    I'm 57, born in 67. The outbreak of the first world war is closer to my birthday than I am.
  • Options

I've choked the crank handle a few times
  • Options
    We have new recruits fresh out of university each year so since 2022 the new employees have been young people born in this century. A colleague of mine who is about my age (mid 30's) said to me today that two of the new employees told her they usually go to bed after midnight, 1am to 2am and they won't have any problems at work the next day. Me and my colleague were both amazed by their energy level. Our bedtime these days is usually 10pm to 10.30pm during the week.😅
  • Options
    edited June 1
    When people who weren't even born by the time I got married are posting on the 'things that make you feel old' thread.

@jessie I'm looking at you! 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    When people who weren't even born by the time I got married are posting on the 'things that make you feel old' thread.

@jessie I'm looking at you! 
    Lol thanks for making me laugh and feel good!😄 It's true though that my colleagues and I (there're a bunch of us all of similar age) are all starting to feel time passing so quickly and the pressure of coping with work and family matters piling up at the same time. Generally speaking East Asians have a much tougher life than most Europeans and Americans.