Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever Charlton signing

Comments

• Options
    Hasselbaink would have been taking some hefty wages surely, but was a free transfer at least.
  • Options
    How much did Bougherra cost?
  • Options
    Hasslebank and Redfern
  • Options

We didnt. We spent about 500k. The fee was linked to appearances.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1261485/ ;-)
  • Options
    McLoughlin and Pates
  • Options
    Tony Towner
  • Options
    Rommedahl was the biggest disappointment-even a year down the line, I kept expecting him to come good but he never did. Never seen a Charlton player so fearful of a challenge...........
  • Options
    The bank robber from Southend who always scored against us, Ricky Otto I was so thrilled when we signed him......
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Pawel Abbott surely a bit unfair? No where near our worst signing if you take into account cost of him compared to some of the utter garbage we've signed before.

Traore is up there for me. Baffles me that he has a champions league winners medal. Izale Mcleod cost a fair bit and was dreadful.
  • Options
    Paddy Mcarthy, Andy Gray, Weaver.

Jeffers, overall probably our worst signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeffers
    Faye
    Traore
    Hasselbaink
    McCammon
    Steve White
    Andy Gray

and loads more...................lol
  • Options
    cafc4ever said:

Francis Jeffers, what a massive waste of money he was.

£2.6m!!

Christensen took a fair bit of money out of the club by the sounds od it without ever being decent enough to get near the first team.
  • Options
    Tuesday 8th August 2006 will go down as one of the worst days in the club's history. It was the day we signed both Amdy Faye and Djimi Traore.

I thought Faye was the worst of the two personally. Still not convinced he is actually a footballer. Whereas Traore, although a poor player, did occasionally show for Liverpool that he had some talent. Not much, but some.
  • Options
    Just the sight of that ugly useless piece of s**t Dowie makes me feel physically sick!
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen cost us a few quid, not one of our better signings.................although one of our better players!
  • Options
    SE10 said:

How much did Bougherra cost?

Shame he did not work out for us, saw him play for Wednesday v Birmingham in 2006 and he was immense. Bit of a mercenary mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    A lot of you are missing the point I think. All the players that had a poor spell with us but played well elsewhere weren't bad signings, they were unlucky signings (perhaps mismanaged when they arrived or misused on the pitch). Amdy Faye struggled with us but played well before us for Pompey in the prem and after us (not necessarily well though) for stoke.

Rowett, for example, cost our club 3.5m and hardly ever played, (13 times wiki says). That's a poor signing as it cost out club a lot of cash.
  • Options
    Hasslebank remains the only Charlton player I hate. Remember the fat twat refusing to celebrate his goal at Chelsea. Also, remember a full back signed by Mullery but can't remember his name. At the time we used to laugh at how bad he was, anyone recall?
  • Options
    Paul Curtis?
  • Options

Rowett, for example, cost our club 3.5m and hardly ever played, (13 times wiki says). That's a poor signing as it cost out club a lot of cash.

You could argue that Rowett was an "unlucky" signing though, the reason he made so few appearances was his long term injury which he never really recovered from. I have no doubts he would've been a quality signing otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It has to be Cory Gibbs. Most of the others mentioned we at least got some game time out of including JFH.
  • Options
    Think Izale Mcleod is worth a mention.

Wasn't his fee something like 1.5m, for a grand return of about 3 goals?
  • Options
    Wasn't Paul Curtis. Was it Harrison?
  • Options
    Didn`t we have a left back called Dickinson then as well?
  • Options
    Remember Dickinson, but not the player I'm thinking of. I think it was Harrison from Watford, but might not have been Mullery. I seem to recall Mullery signed a bloody awful keepers well. After failing in football management he got a job with a London printer as rep. My old man was a buyer, and Mullery called on him selling his company. A great player, but an awful manager.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    E-cafc said:

Didn`t we have a left back called Dickinson then as well?

We did Kevin Dickenson fair haired lad, my father used to work with his dad.
    masicat said:

Wasn't Paul Curtis. Was it Harrison?

Steve Harrison ex Watford only played 3 games for us was pants nevertheless, turned out to be a good coach though.

Can't see that anyone from the 'old school' has mentioned Barry Endean yet.
  • Options
    Paul Curtis came through our youth system

Has to be either Faye or M. Bent.
  • Options
    I despair at the people citing Dennis Rommedahl as their worst ever Charlton signing.
    Jeez, have a word with yourselves.
    His goals against Palace, Pompey, Boro and Newcastle are amongst my favourite Premier League memories.
    Guess we expected more of him than he was able to deliver, but worst signing? Give me a break
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I despair at the people citing Dennis Rommedahl as their worst ever Charlton signing.
    His goals against Palace, Pompey, Boro and Newcastle are amongst my favourite Premier League memories.
    Guess we expected more of him than he was able to deliver, but worst signing? Give me a break

Agreed I liked Dennis warts and all reminded me of a modern day Mike Kenning another fast winger who was ok when he took the ball with him. Had a powerful shot but couldn't / wouldn't tackle.
  • Options

Bang on. I suppose Dennis was a bit of a luxury item for us in Curbs workaholic teams. I liked DR.