Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever Charlton signing

Comments

• Options
    Interesting read and no surprises amongst the names really.

I'd just remind people that neither Jeffers nor Rowett actually ended up costing anything like the figures quoted as canny old Curbs negotiated appearance related deals.

One name I've not seen who was very expensive, in Charlton terms, at the time for little return is Terry Bullivant.

Truly awful for us in my opinion.
  • Options
    Milne. Traore. Faye.

• Options
    Francis
  • Options
    Each to there own. Surprised only Leroy agrees with my suggestion of Ralph Milne and most suggestions are from the last 10 years (apart from the likes of Curtis, bagheri etc). Surely we have some other suggestion from, say, pre 1980's?
  • Options
    Yes you can never have Rommedahl down as one of Charltons worst signings.

Unfortunately amongst us charlton fans he was like marmite.
  • Options
    In respect of Rommedahl, maybe there should be another thread for "most disappointing signings." He scored a few goals but, given that he'd ruined France in the World Cup and his reputation, I had big expectations of him which he never fulfilled. The worst signing? Probably not.......
  • Options
    He was rapido
  • Options

Each to there own. Surprised only Leroy agrees with my suggestion of Ralph Milne and most suggestions are from the last 10 years (apart from the likes of Curtis, bagheri etc). Surely we have some other suggestion from, say, pre 1980's?

Most of us old farts don't know how to use the Internet :)
  • Options

In the good ol days the team changed very rarely, only when arthritis or senility overtook the incumbent. One signing every 2 years or so and we were pleased if the new chappie could stand up straight never mind if he was any good at kicking the ball.
  • Options
    Pouso for me-complete waste of time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dowie
  • Options
    Andy Gray was pretty awful. Bought him on the back of one decent scoring season for Burnley and he duly reverted to the low scoring journeyman the rest of his career stats suggests.
  • Options
    Bagheri, esp after his int goal record was raved about
  • Options
    Dave Mehmet
  • Options
    Steve Jones...sorry i know he had the odd good game.....but one of the worst finishers i have ever seen at the valley
  • Options
    McClown sticks out for me. But too many to mantion over the last few years. Rom medal and Zeng Zhi always got me going not because they were useless but because they just never applied their undoubted talent. At least McClown tried.
  • Options

McClown sticks out for me. But too many to mantion over the last few years. Rom medal and Zeng Zhi always got me going not because they were useless but because they just never applied their undoubted talent. At least McClown tried.

Zheng Zhi didn't try?
  • Options
    neil redfearn or francis jeffers.
  • Options
    Darty Valiant said:

Most of us old farts don't know how to use the Internet :

Ralph Milne definately worst ever signing by Lennie Lawrence! Saw him play at Selhurst absolute crap. Read his marriage had broken down and he wanted away from Scotland. Cannot believe Bristol City or Man Utd signed him later. Believe Gary Rowlett was unlucky with injuries as sure I saw him score at the Valley, looked a decent defender/midfield not sure which. Mike Small was another terrible signing. Anyone remember Reg Evans from Newcastle way, way back for Buck Ryan!
  • Options
    Hasselbaink the worst overall but there have been some really disappointing signings in terms of players that ought to have been ok but who turned out to be utterly useless : Ralph Milne, Andy Jones, Kenny Achampong,Greg Shields,Billy Landsdowne, Martin Christiansen and David Campbell being prime examples.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Faye
  • Options

Dave Mehmet

Oi
  • Options
    Ralph Milne was signed on the basis of what he'd done for Dundee Utd, Lennie hadn't noticed he'd put on 5 stone and was now crap. That doesn't necessarily make Lennie a bad manager because Sir Fergie of Salford did exactly the same two years later when he was probably even worse!
  • Options
    Good shout on Mehmet. Useless fat ginger spanner knacker.
  • Options
    Terry Bullivant
  • Options
    Vigo Jacobsen and Jonny Ostergaard
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Karim bagheri

How dare you!

• Options
    Barry Endean
  • Options
    Where to start? In my six decades of watching the Addicks there have been quite a few 'no-hopers' masquerading as professional footballers. Years ago a section of the crowd used to criticise Dennis Edwards. Then it was Ron 'Nanny' Saunders and after that 'Two left feet' Barry Endean, who appeared to have a pathological fear of scoring goals. Mention has also been made of Ralph Milne and the bunch of timeservers on funny money acquired by Dowie.
    However, surely the most ungrateful player ever to have the honour of wearing the red shirt was Eamon Dunphy. We gave him a home and he responded by badmouthing us. So ingrained was his hatred of the word 'Charlton' that, when someone of that name was appointed manager of the Irish national team, he continued his campaign of villification.

• Options
    Been coming Charlton for about 10 years now, barely miss a game.
    Yet, if it wasnt for Footy Manager/Fifa I wouldnt even know who some of these players were. I barely remember watching any of those players in the year we went down from the prem, and the first championship. Feels like it didnt even happen yet I doubt I missed more than 2 games.