Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever Charlton signing

Comments

• Options

Then it was Ron 'Nanny' Saunders.

Second time my Dad took me to the Valley, he scored a hat trick (though Bury's wonderfully named goalkeeper Neil Ramsbottom had to go off injured) so he's always been a bit of a legend for me.

Seem to remember Maurice Setters was a bit of a disappointment.
  • Options

Steve Jones...sorry i know he had the odd good game.....but one of the worst finishers i have ever seen at the valley

Neil Redfearn (my Gran was quicker than him).
  • Options

cafc4ever said:

Francis Jeffers, what a massive waste of money he was.

I still can't believe we spent 2.6 million on that bloke.
    We didn't, the deal was based on the number of games he played with several payments each time he reached a certain number of games - Curbs decided after about 20 "performances" that he'd seen enough and he was sent on loan/played for the reserves until his contract expired. We still shelled out a lot of money but got nowhere near the headline sum.

• Options
    For me it would be a coin toss between Kerkar and Alonso.
  • Options
    Rommedahl unfortunately swiftly followed by JFH and Marcus Bent.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Each to there own. Surprised only Leroy agrees with my suggestion of Ralph Milne and most suggestions are from the last 10 years (apart from the likes of Curtis, bagheri etc). Surely we have some other suggestion from, say, pre 1980's?

Most of us old farts don't know how to use the Internet :)
    This old fart does.... Never could understand why Billy Keirnan was on the pitch, thought he was awful.

• Options

Terry Bullivant

Surely not that yachtsman who survived an overturned yacht for days in the southern ocean a few years back?
  • Options

Steve Jones...sorry i know he had the odd good game.....but one of the worst finishers i have ever seen at the valley

Neil Redfearn (my Gran was quicker than him).
    I seem to recall we paid 1 mill for Redfearn which was quite a lot for Charlton at the time.
  • Options

Where to start? In my six decades of watching the Addicks there have been quite a few 'no-hopers' masquerading as professional footballers. Years ago a section of the crowd used to criticise Dennis Edwards. Then it was Ron 'Nanny' Saunders and after that 'Two left feet' Barry Endean, who appeared to have a pathological fear of scoring goals. Mention has also been made of Ralph Milne and the bunch of timeservers on funny money acquired by Dowie.
    However, surely the most ungrateful player ever to have the honour of wearing the red shirt was Eamon Dunphy. We gave him a home and he responded by badmouthing us. So ingrained was his hatred of the word 'Charlton' that, when someone of that name was appointed manager of the Irish national team, he continued his campaign of villification.

Barry Endean gets my vote followed closely by Rodney Green.
    Rodney Green was signed along with the super Matt Tee's from Grimsby.
    I'm sure Grimsby insisted that we signed Green if we wanted to sign Matt Tee's.
  • Options
    In the Millwall programme yesterday was Tony Hazell - thought he was rubbish when he played for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised I haven't seen more people saying Mikel Alonso, anyone who was at that JPT game vs Brentford would have seen how shocking he was. The worst player I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Ian Dowie
  • Options
    ljm29 said:

vff said:

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - on massive wages, no mobility, past it, blocked youth development, terrible attitude and always complaining. The start of the madness, where the club threw its money away.

I hate Hasselbaink. I saw him in a gym and he was really rude too. Can't stand him

He's just a fat Eddie Murphy
  • Options
    Phil Chapple for me and he got 167 appearances, does he scout for s now?
  • Options
    I wasnt going to bite to the above, but I cant let Phil Chapple being on here go unchallenged - Faye, Traore, Hasselbaink, McLeod (gievn how much we paid for him £1.5 m !!??) fair enough - but Phil Chapple doesnt deserve to be mentioned here. Also saw someone mention Steve Jones !! ?? What ?
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs. Omar Pouso and Mikel Alonso for me in recent years.
    Going further back has to be Ralph Milne.
  • Options

I wasnt going to bite to the above, but I cant let Phil Chapple being on here go unchallenged - Faye, Traore, Hasselbaink, McLeod (gievn how much we paid for him £1.5 m !!??) fair enough - but Phil Chapple doesnt deserve to be mentioned here. Also saw someone mention Steve Jones !! ?? What ?

I agree Phil Chapple was decent enough and committed, so a bit harsh to include him here. Steve Jones also i felt worked hard but wasn't the goalscorer we needed at the time. but this is opinions i suppose and it there to promote discussion.

• Options
    Pawell Abbott
    Joe Anyinsah
    Makes me shiver just thinking about them
  • Options
    Romm scored a last minute winner against palace so you can't call him our worst signing on that basis alone. For me is was Marcus bent. Still can't believe we paid £2.6m for him.
  • Options
    Pawell abbot cost less than a decent family car and joe was virtually free if not free

(I think i aint checked)

So on that basis shouldnt count
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iain Dowie.
  • Options

Pawell abbot cost less than a decent family car and joe was virtually free if not free

(I think i aint checked)

Oh right , hmm yeah changes it a bit i suppose .
  • Options
    Glad to see a lot of fan's sticking up for Dennis.....I thought he was quality.

How his name is anywhere near this thread I honestly don't know.
  • Options

(I think i aint checked)

Oh right , hmm yeah changes it a bit i suppose .
    Joe Anyinsah?? Surely one of our best players at the time. Shame about the injuries.
  • Options
    Izale Mcloed, biggest load of crap I have ever seen was just terrible. The money we paid for him was a joke. He was a joke, the elbow on the northwich player as well for no reason.

Just crap hate him
  • Options
    Anyinsah? Rowett? These players were certainly disappointing due to injury but for me for someone to qualify as our worst ever signing they need to have actively damaged the team. Gibbs and Alonso played one game between them, and Alonso was a ghost in one of our best ever seasons so they don't qualify. In my opinion it has to be Amdy Faye. Utterly, utterly useless for us and couldn't have contributed more to our relegation from the Prem, which led to our eventual downturn to 13th in L1. He embodies our lowest point in my mind. No ability, no effort, no real bother when we plummeted away. Worthless.
  • Options
    Can't believe Steve Jones and Phil Chapple are on here! Worst ever signings....are you insane?

Marcus Bent. Everything that's wrong with modern day football. And a useless player.
  • Options

Pawell Abbott
    Joe Anyinsah

Odd choices
  • Options

Pawell Abbott
    Joe Anyinsah

Odd choices
    I honestly thought they were cack !
  • Options
    Seems to me there are categories that need to be considered when coming up with the award for 'worst signing ever'. Here are my suggestions of some:

1. Big signing who had lots expected of him but didn't deliver - JFH/Marcus Bent
    2. Those we thought they would fit in but proved to be useless - Izale McLeod/Paul Benson
    3. Players we made a big deal about signing but failed miserably - John Barnes
    4. Players who stand out as simply clueless - Ralph Milne
    5. Players who made the grade elsewhere but hopeless for us - Andy Jones/Leon Clarke ... and actually most strikers that we sign from 'lesser' teams over the past 20 years!
    6. Your favourite 'couldn't stand' player(s) - Lawrie Madden

Bonus Choice:

7. Players you hope we NEVER sign - anyone that was once a 'big name'; I hope we have learnt our lesson........or........anyone who kisses the badge of every team he plays for when scoring a goal.