Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever Charlton signing

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

Seems to me there are categories that need to be considered when coming up with the award for 'worst signing ever'. Here are my suggestions of some:

1. Big signing who had lots expected of him but didn't deliver - JFH/Marcus Bent
    2. Those we thought they would fit in but proved to be useless - Izale McLeod/Paul Benson
    3. Players we made a big deal about signing but failed miserably - John Barnes
    4. Players who stand out as simply clueless - Ralph Milne
    5. Players who made the grade elsewhere but hopeless for us - Andy Jones/Leon Clarke ... and actually most strikers that we sign from 'lesser' teams over the past 20 years!
    6. Your favourite 'couldn't stand' player(s) - Lawrie Madden

Bonus Choice:

7. Players you hope we NEVER sign - anyone that was once a 'big name'; I hope we have learnt our lesson........or........anyone who kisses the badge of every team he plays for when scoring a goal.

Bit harsh there mate! Benson wasn't useless, and I don't think Barnes failed miserably either.

Milne wasn't clueless, jjust out of condition and on the way downhill.
  • Options
    Perhaps I should have put JFH against every category then!
  • Options
    Alonso? He played that one game in the JPT and was awful, then never seen again!
  • Options
    Billy Landsdowne,Huge mcAuley,Dietmar Bruck,Barry Endean,Dick Plumb,Eamonn Dunphy,
  • Options
    Amdy Faye
  • Options
    Simon Walton gets my vote
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Glad to see a lot of fan's sticking up for Dennis.....I thought he was quality.

How his name is anywhere near this thread I honestly don't know.

Romm is/has been brilliant for Denmark
  • Options
    Walton, Christensen, Gibbs, Pouso, Bagheri.....combined transfer fees £2m+? Combined time on field for Charlton about 65 mins?

But the worst signing in terms of a regular for me was David Campbell.
  • Options
    Martin Christiansen, I'm terms of how many games he played for the 1st team and what it cost us to release him.

Just a whole load of nothingness, pointless.

I don't blame managers signing players that end up with Charlton career ending injuries because you can't forsee that happening. It's just unfortunate.
  • Options
    Didn't Pardew get a Portugese centre back in the January window, and immediately try and loan him out only for the league to tell him he couldn't? He ended up kicking his heels until the summer, no doubt on a decent salary, when he promptly disappeared. Even by Pardews standards, a pointless exercise.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Traore for me, awful player
  • Options
    I once asked Harry Gregory to sign my programme, it was no more than a scrawl...terrible signing.
  • Options
    I loved Harry Gregory a real character and a decent footballer.I remember him lifting a young kid out of the crowd after he had scored.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Did we actually sign Peter Shaw or was he through the system? He was pretty laughable at times. Our old joke used to be" And it`s Peter Shaw on the ball for Charlton, oh he just fell off"
  • Options
    One positive is that at least none of our managers signed "George Weah`s cousin" Only a numpty like Souness could fall for that one!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I loved Harry Gregory a real character and a decent footballer.I remember him lifting a young kid out of the crowd after he had scored.

He's still a lovely guy and still loves the club, but always says he was nothing special and that he doubts anyone remembered him.

• Options

In my opinion it has to be Amdy Faye. Utterly, utterly useless for us and couldn't have contributed more to our relegation from the Prem, which led to our eventual downturn to 13th in L1. He embodies our lowest point in my mind. No ability, no effort, no real bother when we plummeted away. Worthless.

Ah, Faye. I remember a few games into his spell with us, our throw in, someone throwing the ball about 5 yards to him. He booted it back about 10 yards over their head. Everything about the guy was comically bad.

Remember being very worried when we signed him as a Newcastle supporting mate (who wasn't the sort for sour grapes) said he was the worst player he'd ever seen play for the them.

• Options
    Floyd and Harvey. At all those home games. Always in their kit. Never played or made the bench.
  • Options
    Harry Cripps - ancient useless pile of crap. And if not for that reason because of where he came from.
  • Options
    Remember a couple more we got from them, Dave Mehmet and Terry Brisley. I recall Brisley scoring a good goal at home to Palace around Christmas time 77/78 I think. Can`t remember him doing anything else though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    cafcfan said:

Harry Cripps - ancient useless pile of crap. And if not for that reason because of where he came from.

Very harsh, especially as sadly now passed on at the age of 54 in 1995. Came to us at the end of his career only played 20 games scoring 4 times and was part of the promotion team in 74/75 back to the old 2nd Division. Spoke to him at check in at Gatwick going on hols with his family, nice guy. Nowhere near worst ever signing imo.
  • Options
    I can't believe people are saying Rommerdhal. If he had been used properly( as he is for his country) he would of been devastating.
    Worst player I've seen - El Kalej?? He was a centre half that couldn't jump.
  • Options
    For me its christensen he was the worse, I saw a lot of him in the reserves when watching Jonjo. He was a Pardew signing, apparently had the same agent but dont know how true that was, but he was toilet.
  • Options
    I once saw Vic Halom scoop the ball over the bar a foot out with an open goal...no miss I've seen since comes anywhere near it. He also fell over a lot.
  • Options
    amdy faye - and Ian Dowie
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Very harsh, especially as sadly now passed on at the age of 54 in 1995. Came to us at the end of his career only played 20 games scoring 4 times and was part of the promotion team in 74/75 back to the old 2nd Division. Spoke to him at check in at Gatwick going on hols with his family, nice guy. Nowhere near worst ever signing imo.
    Bizarre coincidence..I met him on holiday in Spain when he was our asst manager. Played waterpolo with his family; Great guy. Ok, he was a Millwall hero but, a bit like when Phil Warman went to Wall, players can be heros at 2 local rivals.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    agim said:

I can't believe people are saying Rommerdhal. If he had been used properly( as he is for his country) he would of been devastating.
    Worst player I've seen - El Kalej?? He was a centre half that couldn't jump.

He scored the winner (Romm) against Palace at their ground so that makes him good enough for me.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Amdy Faye

• Options
    Eggert Jonsson .................... looks and plays wrong