Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever Charlton signing

Comments

• Options
    uncle said:

For me its christensen he was the worse, I saw a lot of him in the reserves when watching Jonjo. He was a Pardew signing, apparently had the same agent but dont know how true that was, but he was toilet.

Shocking waste of money. Yes, he was young, but you could see when he played at Welling just after signing he wasn't up to it.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Can't believe Steve Jones and Phil Chapple are on here! Worst ever signings....are you insane?

No not insane we sold Jones to bristol city and within a month they off loaded him to southend....Bent wasnt much better ....are you insane. ???

Marcus Bent. Everything that's wrong with modern day football. And a useless player.

• Options

I wasnt going to bite to the above, but I cant let Phil Chapple being on here go unchallenged - Faye, Traore, Hasselbaink, McLeod (gievn how much we paid for him £1.5 m !!??) fair enough - but Phil Chapple doesnt deserve to be mentioned here. Also saw someone mention Steve Jones !! ?? What ?

no but i dont agree with you does that make you insane ???
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    At least Faye had a few decent games in defence. Traore was dreadful for what we paid, as was Redfern in terms of our budget. Bruck was pants but cost little. Christensen, JFH, M Bent, yes & Never rated Andy Pederson and who was the midget keeper we got in 80s? Hated Tiler but worst by a country mile was Captain Clean Shorts.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Eggert Jonsson .................... looks and plays wrong

Worst ever. Have you never seen us play before?
  • Options

At least Faye had a few decent games in defence. Traore was dreadful for what we paid, as was Redfern in terms of our budget. Bruck was pants but cost little. Christensen, JFH, M Bent, yes & Never rated Andy Pederson and who was the midget keeper we got in 80s? Hated Tiler but worst by a country mile was Captain Clean Shorts.

Bit later was Vaughan? 1994 6th round FA Cup at Old Trafford v Man Utd
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Faye made Traore look good. There never been a worse player that has played in the famous red than Amdy faye. fact. The man should be ashamed of himself forever and a day.
  • Options

Matt Holland the worst ever Charlton signing ? Is this a conspirathy ?
    Never quite sure if you're a WUM or are incredibly stupid.
  • Options

Matt Holland the worst ever Charlton signing ? Is this a conspirathy ?
    Never quite sure if you're a WUM or are incredibly stupid.
    WHAT!! Matt holland = charlton legend
  • Options

I have seen a lot of your posts and I haven't agreed with any of them.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never understand the attitude towards Matt Holland many seem to have on this board. I thought he was a brilliant player
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Holland made Semedo look creative. He was all reputation but never delivered. Despite being captain, never went looking for the ball but hid by an opponent. Defensively was so slow, by the time he got near to a challenge, the ball had gone. I could do him for pace at 59 with dodgy hammys. He oversaw our decline. It was like lining up with 10 men every week. And people criticise Stephens & Pritch!
  • Options

Never understand the attitude towards Matt Holland many seem to have on this board. I thought he was a brilliant player

Wholeheartedly agree. I do often think that we all watch different games at times!
  • Options
    So what elements of his game did you admire? Geeing up the crowd at the end?
  • Options
    I thought he read the game very well, didn't make the epic Scott Parker style challenges no but he didn't need to as he was more often in the right place to get a foot in. I also thought he was a real leader on the pitch, I can't recall a captain since which has lead like he has. Pardew mugged him off and IMO made him look bad with his whole playing at cb rubbish and that is the Matt holland everyone seems to remember
  • Options
    Oversaw our decline? Yeah, you're right Harveys. That season where he joined and we finished 7th in the Prem was shocking. And for us to finish 11th in his second season? Terrible. Still remember that Birmingham match as one of the best individual displays from an Addick along with Deano in a long time. Did he sell you some bad insurance or something?
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Holland made Semedo look creative. He was all reputation but never delivered. Despite being captain, never went looking for the ball but hid by an opponent. Defensively was so slow, by the time he got near to a challenge, the ball had gone. I could do him for pace at 59 with dodgy hammys. He oversaw our decline. It was like lining up with 10 men every week. And people criticise Stephens & Pritch!

I know your exaggerating, but I actually agree with this. He was far from my favourite.
    But the discussion is "worst ever Charlton signing" & unfortunately since 1970 I could probably list 100 players minimum, that were worse. (But I'm not gonna before you ask :-)
  • Options
    Andy Jones, Came with a big price tag from Port Vale, he came with a fair bit of weight as well !!
    I think he scored a cracker against Spurs at Sellout Park
  • Options
    Martin Duffield
  • Options
    Marcus Bent...Andy Gray....Hasselbank
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Faye did have a couple of good games at the start, and was a rock when he went in defence against Bolton, dowies first win. It was only a few games after that when he lost his confidence and became the worst player I think I've ever seen. That game against Liverpool still brings me out in a rash
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Matt Holland! Ha! - not the best or the fastest but as stated great captain, work-rate and commitment.

I like Pritch and think Stephens is really good but Holland was a Premiership player, the other two may never be.

But then again most would put (the great) Kerm above Andy (20+ goals in one season) Hunt when not even proven in the second tier.

I'd like to say Mike Small but for it has to be JFH or Traore for me.
  • Options

Matt Holland! Ha! - not the best or the fastest but as stated great captain.

Something former players might agree with............... Here's a bit of an interview Jonjo did last week.........

"I can see why people imagine [making the step up to the first team] can be intimidating, but I'd say it's exciting more than anything else.

"What's important is that you don't get carried away. I won't lie - it can go to your head. If it does, you need others to keep you right. I had good pros like Matt Holland, Nicky Baily, Deon Burton and Christian Dailly to look out for me [at Charlton].
  • Options
    Can't believe Matt Holland is even mentioned as Charltons worst player . We really do have some idiots as fans .
  • Options
    To me the worst players have got to be more than useless players, as that free transfer from non league/cheap loan left back comes with low expectations. Tom Hovi for example?

The worst signings have to be expensive for our budget at the time, and possibly disruptive.

Expensive flops would include
    Andy Jones
    Redfearn - £1m was a fortune for us at the time
    JFH (massive wages I presume, poor effect on the team)
    Faye
    Traore

Varney - did very little, and we lost a £1m when we sold him after just over a year
    Mcleod - did little
    Gray - ditto
    ZZ/Racon - bot the worst performers, but at £2m they should have delivered more, and we got no money back for them either.

Others weren't the worst, but were slightly disappointing, e.g. Euell whose Charlton career fizzled out, and Andy Reid who was injured/overweight a lot of the time with us.
  • Options
    Have to agree, it really was like playing with 10 men for umpteen games when Holland was in the side in the prem. Poor - non-existant leadership skills as captain, couldn't get stuck in, ran around lots but still managed to hide, would pass only two foot sideways or backwards. OK he needed someone like Parker next to him to do the gritty stuff, and usually just had Bryan Hughes... but the only thing he seemed good at was clapping the fans once we'd lost yet another game.

Of course he is in no way in the same league as most of the other dross discussed on this thread, though. Which kinda shows how far we fell.
  • Options
    Dont agree about Redfearn, i put him in the same bracket as romm, was used in the wrong way.
  • Options
    Paul bacon
  • Options

Paul bacon

Thought he was from the youth team ?
  • Options

Paul bacon

Baloney