Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• edited June 2021
    I have absolutely no clue how this game with Germany will go. But in my 34 years on this earth, all I can ever remember is them beating us at major tournaments. I really hope the hoodoo ends here, it would've been a pretty dull euros if we bow out now. 
  • I really think we will beat them. Ive not been impressed with us really, but they are not a great side. Definitely a better draw than Portugal or France in my opinion. 
  • I think the Germans will fear our offensive pace and will probably play deeper as a result. If we do the same it will be in danger of being a bit of a stalemate. If I was Southgate I want pace and the ability to beat a man. We won't want to be just passing the ball in front of them as I suspect it will counter our advantage and they have players who can hurt us defensively. 
  • edited June 2021
    LegacyFan said:
    I really think we will beat them. Ive not been impressed with us really, but they are not a great side. Definitely a better draw than Portugal or France in my opinion. 
    Portugal are a one man team. It’s not that they haven’t got some really great players in their side but Ronaldo is key to holding them together. 

France have yet to be tested despite being in the ‘group of death’. I’m not convinced they are together as a team’ at the moment though there’s no denying they have an edge.

Italy is another country where I think the results have flattered them. They look like a bunch of players where too many of them want to be the one that gets all the glory and are not playing for their teammates. When they come up a tougher side that attitude could blow up big time.

• France have been average so far I think but the worrying thing is they have another couple of gears to get through. That side of the draw will certainly test and take a lot out of them.
  • That is what I fear against France. You know what they can do with players like Mbappe, Kante and Pogba even if they aren't doing it yet! It is good they are on the other side of the draw as they are a team where if both teams play at 100%, the probably win. of course that does not always happen but I'd rather test it against England in the Final or avoid the question altogether if we are lucky and they get knocked out and we don't of course!
  • LegacyFan said:
    I really think we will beat them. Ive not been impressed with us really, but they are not a great side. Definitely a better draw than Portugal or France in my opinion. 
    Portugal are a one man team. It’s not that they haven’t got some really great players in their side but Ronaldo is key to holding them together. 

France have yet to be tested despite being in the ‘group of death’. I’m not convinced they are together as a team’ at the moment though there’s no denying they have an edge.

Italy is another country where I think the results have flattered them. They look like a bunch of players where too many of them want to be the one that get all the glory and are not playing for their teammates. When they come up a tougher side that attitude could blow up big time.

What?

They battled to a win away to Germany, who probably had more chances than them. They were behind away to Hungary in front of 67k fans and had to come back. Then they were behind early on to Portugal and had to come back.

They've clearly been tested in every single game, far more than a lot of teams have at this Euro's, including us.
    In that group the prime objective for each country was to not lose. For them those matches have been like playing against a Bowyer team that’s brought on extra defenders in the last 10 minutes of a game. They haven’t been tested yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• LegacyFan said:

Italy is another country where I think the results have flattered them. They look like a bunch of players where too many of them want to be the one that gets all the glory and are not playing for their teammates. When they come up a tougher side that attitude could blow up big time.

Id still rather play the Germans than either of the other two. France have been disappointing but they have so much talent there that if they find another gear or 3 they'd beat anyone.

And I agree with you on Portugal but I still think they are more dangerous than Germany. Ronaldo would definitely score against us. Plus our record v them in tournaments is as bad as against the Germans. 
  • I'll be honest, the one team that scares me is France, they haven't been the best side. But if we come up against them at any point Mbappe will destroy whoever we play at the back, he's frightening. I pray they get knocked out by someone else 
  • cafctom said:
    Either way, in order for us to play France we would need to be at the Final.

If we get there, then whatever the result, it would have been a hugely successful tournament by England’s standards. 
    I know that, sorry just emphasizing what others have put and they look like they could step up a few gears. I was glad we avoided them next, I couldn't decide between Portugal and Germany who would be better but was glad we avoided the French :) 
  • A couple of comments saying we've not beaten Germany for 50 years in a tournament game...

We beat them 1-0 in the group stage of Euro 2000
    I really can’t remember that one, who scored our goal?
  • cafctom said:

If we get there, then whatever the result, it would have been a hugely successful tournament by England’s standards. 
    I know that, sorry just emphasizing what others have put and they look like they could step up a few gears. I was glad we avoided them next, I couldn't decide between Portugal and Germany who would be better but was glad we avoided the French :) 
    It has to be an advantage playing at Wembley. That is how we (The team) should approach it anyway. Better to go into the game with confidence rather than fear.
  • A couple of comments saying we've not beaten Germany for 50 years in a tournament game...

I really can’t remember that one, who scored our goal?
    Shearer.
  • cafctom said:

It has to be an advantage playing at Wembley. That is how we (The team) should approach it anyway. Better to go into the game with confidence rather than fear.
    Also potentially helps that if we win, our sole game away from Wembley will be against either Sweden or Ukraine.

England have never won a knockout game at the Euros away from Wembley but thats achievable.
  • edited June 2021
    cafctom said:

Also potentially helps that if we win, our sole game away from Wembley will be against either Sweden or Ukraine.

England have never won a knockout game at the Euros away from Wembley but thats achievable.
    You would think so. Neither country should have an advantage over us playing in Rome (where I think the quarter final will be played) you would imagine.
  • cafctom said:

You would think so. Neither country should have an advantage over us playing in Rome (where I think the quarter final will be played) you would imagine.
    Yeah you're right... that one will be in Rome
  • Sponsored links:

• Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Very happy with that draw and run if we can do em'
    Will be down to strength of character - I hope we don't have a repeat of the Scotland performance. 
    That's my concern, they're our biggest rivals with Scotland and the players will know how big the game is, hopefully it doesn't effect us. Need to play players who won't get stage fright 
    Maybe Sancho and Bellingham? Both play in Germany and might just be right for this game.
    Could be a shout, I've said since the start I don't understand why we aren't playing a 433 with those two on the right, they play with eachother week in week out so it just seems logical. Good thinking with the same league, on the flip side the German players may be more comfortable playing against them? 

I feel Grealish and Saka MUST start, Germany don't look their usual composed self at all and those two will run at them without fear and cause them trouble. I also think this will be Kane's game, I reckon he will bully that German back line. 

I genuinely favour us 70/30 atm. My biggest concern with them is Kimmich and Gnabry, if they have quiet games we will do them 
    I agree about Grealish and Saka. Been talking to my brother and very controversial, but I'd play without a striker. 

I'd play Foden as a false 9, with Grealish just behind, Saka down the right and Sterling down the left. If Foden drops deep Sterling will try get in behind with Grealish pushing left. The German backline isn't the quickest, let's do them with pace and movement. 
    Two goals in 270 minutes…..let’s try playing without a striker!

Dear Lord.
    Man City played without a striker for a chunk of the season, how did they get on?

Kane drops deep anyway, so if Foden played there it wouldn't be any different, except Foden has the ability to go past a man and allows us more pace elsewhere. For the record, I'm a big Kane fan and his form doesn't overly concern me, it was a suggestion to expose Germany's weaknesses. 
  • I'll be honest, the one team that scares me is France, they haven't been the best side. But if we come up against them at any point Mbappe will destroy whoever we play at the back, he's frightening. I pray they get knocked out by someone else 
    He didn't destroy Stones and Walker when he was up against them in April did he? Genuine Q, didn't see either leg. 

What a day that was @Clem_Snide

I remembered us beating them in a tournament game, so had been confused by the comments

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/euro2000/795342.stm

Looking at the team, Phil Neville at LB looks the defensive weak link, as was proven when he gave away the crucial penalty against Romania

The surprise to me in that team is Dennis Wise, I'd forgotten he played in Euro 2000

I remembered us beating them in a tournament game, so had been confused by the comments

Looking at the team, Phil Neville at LB looks the defensive weak link, as was proven when he gave away the crucial penalty against Romania

The surprise to me in that team is Dennis Wise, I'd forgotten he played in Euro 2000
    That German team was terrible.

You’ve ruined my day mentioning the Neville penalty. Haven’t thought about that moment for years! 
  •  Forget France, Italy, Belguim, Portugal, Croatia, Spain; even the Swiss and Austria.

The only focus is Germany from England's point of View. 

If we couldn't play Hungary I wanted Germany rather than Portugal or France.

The winner of this game has a great chance of going all the way to the final. 50/50 match but can the flair we have, be unleashed or will we play within ourselves ?
    This is not a vintage German side but that has never stopped them before in getting to a final.