Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Group A opponents: Austria, Denmark, France

Group B opponents: Portugal, Wales

Group C opponents: Czech Republic, Italy, Sweden 

Group D opponents: Germany, Spain, Netherlands

Group E opponents: Ukraine, Croatia

Group F opponents: Switzerland, England, Belgium

Group D got a bit of a duff draw with the way it's worked out. I'm just glad we're not in the top half of the draw with Italy, Belgium, Portugal, France and Spain.
  • Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Very happy with that draw and run if we can do em'
    Will be down to strength of character - I hope we don't have a repeat of the Scotland performance. 
    That's my concern, they're our biggest rivals with Scotland and the players will know how big the game is, hopefully it doesn't effect us. Need to play players who won't get stage fright 
  • Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Will be down to strength of character - I hope we don't have a repeat of the Scotland performance. 
    That's my concern, they're our biggest rivals with Scotland and the players will know how big the game is, hopefully it doesn't effect us. Need to play players who won't get stage fright 
    Maybe Sancho and Bellingham? Both play in Germany and might just be right for this game.
  • If we can beat Germany, that draw looks very favourable to make the final 
  • Three points....

1] I have never seen a German side look so poor defensively - five goals in three games and it could have been many more.

2] What the hell has happened to Sane? This guy looked incredible a couple of years ago and now looks like Germany's version of Kyle Reid.

3] If England can't beat this German side at home then they are nowhere near good enough to win the tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    48 hours ago we were boring, Southgate was clueless and there was no point watching. Now we're going to smash Germany and go all the way to the final. There's no such thing as a parody England fan.
    It's what I've been saying.
    It's black or white, there's no grey.
    We're either absolute rubbish, a disgrace, or we're gonna be the best in Europe.
    No reality involved here.
    That's just football fans though. It's not unique to this forum.
  • Three points....

1] I have never seen a German side look so poor defensively - five goals in three games and it could have been many more.

2] What the hell has happened to Sane? This guy looked incredible a couple of years ago and now looks like Germany's version of Kyle Reid.

3] If England can't beat this German side at home then they are nowhere near good enough to win the tournament.
    A few of the big name PL players aren't at their best either, Bruno Fernandes on the bench when Portugal weren't safe, and Dias hasn't shone as he has done for City either

By contrast Pogba seems transformed when he's not playing for United
  • Three points....

Euro 2000 they were rubbish, so only 21 years ago
  • edited June 2021
    Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Maybe Sancho and Bellingham? Both play in Germany and might just be right for this game.
    Could be a shout, I've said since the start I don't understand why we aren't playing a 433 with those two on the right, they play with eachother week in week out so it just seems logical. Good thinking with the same league, on the flip side the German players may be more comfortable playing against them? 

I feel Grealish and Saka MUST start, Germany don't look their usual composed self at all and those two will run at them without fear and cause them trouble. I also think this will be Kane's game, I reckon he will bully that German back line. 

I genuinely favour us 70/30 atm. My biggest concern with them is Kimmich and Gnabry, if they have quiet games we will do them 

Could be a shout, I've said since the start I don't understand why we aren't playing a 433 with those two on the right, they play with eachother week in week out so it just seems logical. Good thinking with the same league, on the flip side the German players may be more comfortable playing against them? 

I feel Grealish and Saka MUST start, Germany don't look their usual composed self at all and those two will run at them without fear and cause them trouble. I also think this will be Kane's game, I reckon he will bully that German back line. 

I genuinely favour us 70/30 atm. My biggest concern with them is Kimmich and Gnabry, if they have quiet games we will do them 
    I agree about Grealish and Saka. Been talking to my brother and very controversial, but I'd play without a striker. 

I'd play Foden as a false 9, with Grealish just behind, Saka down the right and Sterling down the left. If Foden drops deep Sterling will try get in behind with Grealish pushing left. The German backline isn't the quickest, let's do them with pace and movement. 

I agree about Grealish and Saka. Been talking to my brother and very controversial, but I'd play without a striker. 

I'd play Foden as a false 9, with Grealish just behind, Saka down the right and Sterling down the left. If Foden drops deep Sterling will try get in behind with Grealish pushing left. The German backline isn't the quickest, let's do them with pace and movement. 
    Zero chance of Southgate using that system, but I agree it would cause the German defence a lot of problems

Zero chance of Southgate using that system, but I agree it would cause the German defence a lot of problems
    Yes I'm not expecting it, but think it could work. Can't see him dropping Sterling and it also solves the problem of how you play Grealish and Saka. He won't drop Kane and I'm a huge admirer of his quality but I don't think the Germans will be worried about facing him. 

That's actually a fantastic shout, basically what Pep did at times with KDB. Problem is he won't drop Kane, would be interesting if we did that for the opening 20/30 and see how it goes, get a goal stick to it through the half, run em' ragged and then bring Kane on later. They are definitely vulnerable at the back and we have to go at them

I am fully expecting the double pivot though, Rice and Henderson, I also wouldn't be surprised if he matches them and goes for a 3421 of sorts.

Walker Maguire Stones
    Saka Henderson Rice Shaw
    Sterling Foden 
    Kane

That or a 4231 

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw
    Henderson Rice
    Saka Foden Sterling 
    Kane

Anything else would surprise me formation wise 

That's actually a fantastic shout, basically what Pep did at times with KDB. Problem is he won't drop Kane, would be interesting if we did that for the opening 20/30 and see how it goes, get a goal stick to it through the half, run em' ragged and then bring Kane on later. They are definitely vulnerable at the back and we have to go at them

I am fully expecting the double pivot though, Rice and Henderson, I also wouldn't be surprised if he matches them and goes for a 3421 of sorts.

Walker Maguire Stones
    Saka Henderson Rice Shaw
    Sterling Foden 
    Kane

That or a 4231 

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw
    Henderson Rice
    Saka Foden Sterling 
    Kane

Anything else would surprise me formation wise 
    That would be the slight concern, Pep has done it with Foden, KDB and Bernardo Silva, and Foden was probably the worst at it. I was more just trying to fit in our best players and expose their weaknesses.

I agree with you on the team selection, although feel he might still stick with Phillips over Henderson, could be wrong. 

I also think he'll go 5 at the back:
    Trippier, Walker Stones Maguire, Shaw
    Rice, Phillips
    Foden, Kane, Sterling

That for me is to defensive, we have to go 433 but then I think he'll play:
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
    Phillips, Henderson, Rice
    Foden, Kane, Sterling

I hope I'm wrong because Saka deserves the start, but I just can't see past a front three and Kane/Sterling are definitely two of them. If he plays Saka he'll drop Foden. 
  • Sponsored links:

Have you seen the Netherlands. They will smash us if we beat Germany.....which we wont btw. 
    Have you seen the Netherlands. They will smash us if we beat Germany.....which we wont btw. 
    Did you think that when they were playing Ukraine? Netherlands have been ok but Macedonia had moments against them and Austria were very very poor. I think Netherlands are very beatable and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they fail to make the semi finals. 
  • edited June 2021
    If we can beat Germany, that draw looks very favourable to make the final 
    Based on them winning home games against Ukraine, Austria and Macedonia? We'd be playing them at Wembley which is entirely different. When was the last time you saw a side smash us at Wembley?

A long way to go before we think about a semi final v them though.
  • italy and netherlands have looked great in the groups - but you cant win a comp in the group stage. 

out of the r16 i reckon the following;

italy vs austria
    belgium vs portugal

france 
    vs switzerland
    croatia vs spain

sweden vs ukraine
    england vs germany

holland vs czech
    denmark vs wales
  • Germany won't be easy but they are very beatable, nothing to fear there. Fully expecting us to raise our game and playing against a side who won't sit back might work in our favour.

If we get past them, our half of the draw opens up very nicely. Belgium, Portugal, France, Italy and Spain all in the other half. Southgate might be a boring manager, but he also seems to be a lucky one.
  • England losses at Wembley since the famous “McClaren’s brolly” against Croatia in 2007.

2-3 vs Croatia in 2007
    1-2 vs France in 2010
    2-3 vs Netherlands in 2012
    0-2 vs Chile in 2013
    0-1 vs Germany in 2013
    1-2 vs Netherlands in 2016
    1-2 vs Spain in 2018
    0-1 vs Denmark in 2020
    ‘They will smash us’

Chat so much shit at times.
  • Tournament begins in earnest now, great that we are still in it and play on the last day of the round of 16 - the build up to this game will be huge, shame it's the 5pm KO and not the later one.

Couple of days with no football and then some cracking games to look forward to

Can't wait
  • Well as things turned out in the end we couldn't have hoped for a better draw for the rest of the tournament. England havent really announced themselves yet imo and hopefully we will do so on Tuesday. I have been critical of GS but also said he is the manager and it is his call what team he puts out. Without doubt he has some big calls to make for this game. He will be a brave man to drop Saka and Grealish after their contribution last game but to select them means leaving big players out, tough choices all around. He will start with Kane obviously but if I were him I would tell him you have 45 mins to perform Harry otherwise your off at halftime
  • edited June 2021
    AndyG said:
    Well as things turned out in the end we couldn't have hoped for a better draw for the rest of the tournament. England havent really announced themselves yet imo and hopefully we will do so on Tuesday. I have been critical of GS but also said he is the manager and it is his call what team he puts out. Without doubt he has some big calls to make for this game. He will be a brave man to drop Saka and Grealish after their contribution last game but to select them means leaving big players out, tough choices all around. He will start with Kane obviously but if I were him I would tell him you have 45 mins to perform Harry otherwise your off at halftime
    No pressure, then?