Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Very happy with that draw and run if we can do em'
    Will be down to strength of character - I hope we don't have a repeat of the Scotland performance. 
    That's my concern, they're our biggest rivals with Scotland and the players will know how big the game is, hopefully it doesn't effect us. Need to play players who won't get stage fright 
    Maybe Sancho and Bellingham? Both play in Germany and might just be right for this game.
    Could be a shout, I've said since the start I don't understand why we aren't playing a 433 with those two on the right, they play with eachother week in week out so it just seems logical. Good thinking with the same league, on the flip side the German players may be more comfortable playing against them? 

I feel Grealish and Saka MUST start, Germany don't look their usual composed self at all and those two will run at them without fear and cause them trouble. I also think this will be Kane's game, I reckon he will bully that German back line. 

I genuinely favour us 70/30 atm. My biggest concern with them is Kimmich and Gnabry, if they have quiet games we will do them 
    I agree about Grealish and Saka. Been talking to my brother and very controversial, but I'd play without a striker. 

I'd play Foden as a false 9, with Grealish just behind, Saka down the right and Sterling down the left. If Foden drops deep Sterling will try get in behind with Grealish pushing left. The German backline isn't the quickest, let's do them with pace and movement. 
    Zero chance of Southgate using that system, but I agree it would cause the German defence a lot of problems
    Yes I'm not expecting it, but think it could work. Can't see him dropping Sterling and it also solves the problem of how you play Grealish and Saka. He won't drop Kane and I'm a huge admirer of his quality but I don't think the Germans will be worried about facing him. 
    Them not being worried about Kane would play into our hands.

In the same way, fans not worried about playing Germany only lights the red flashing light in my eyes.

I preferred Germany to France or Portugal but we haven't beaten any of them in a tournament in the last 50 years. I recall three defeats to Germany, each of which I still believe we deserved to win. The fact however is we lost them all.

I'm sure that Southgate and the team can keep their heads if they are not put under this pressure by the fans and media to play with pace, excite the spectators, remind them who won the war and all that bollox.

Let Southgate do it his way even if he played Phillips, Henderson and Rice together and get behind them all. Otherwise it will become a home disadvantage.
  • For the record if it goes to penalties we win it , law of averages 

it’s coming home 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    A 5pm kick off for a game of this magnitude is an absolute shower of sh*t.

5-7:30pm has got to be the busiest part of the day for those of us with young kids what with getting them fed, bathed and into bed.  It doesnt help that our live-in-nanny is out next bloody Tuesday too so I'll be lucky if I get to sit down to watch any of it.  Absolutely livid.

Need to conjure a plan for a BBQ with my parents.  Mum, fancy doing bathtime?  I'll cook after the football lol.
    They don't need a bath every evening. Wait until they are 13 and stink of sweat, refuse to wash, and make the TV zone smelly. 

Also, I suspect that the 13 year old secretely supports France. My other boy's best friend supports Portugal. What is the matter with these people?!😉
  • Just booked a pub table for Tuesday afternoon, from 4:10pm to make sure nicely settled for the build up.  Maximum length of booking 3 hours, which I've since worked out might mean we get chucked out in the second half of extra time...

• For the record if it goes to penalties we win it , law of averages 

Somebody might need to nobble Henderson before we get to that   ;)
  • Very interested to see how we line up against Germany, whether we match up with their wing backs or not. It would be a bit strange to completely change formation now, but Southgate might be concerned about the trouble Gosens can cause on his his flank and the space Kimmich creates for Ginter to get crosses in. One thing we can take from this tournament so far is that England have been solid defensively and Germany have been shambolic, horrifically susceptible to counter attacks. They repeatedly got caught on the break by France and were lucky to only concede one, got opened up from their own corner by Portugal for their first goal and got done both on a counter and then from a kick off with a ball over the top against Hungary. With that in mind I'd expect England to invite the Germans onto them and then look to release the likes of Sterling and Foden on the counter. I don't think Grealish will be as well suited to this style of playing so I think he'll be there as a sub. It's a shame Rashford is playing so poorly at the moment as he's one of the best counter-attacking forwards going and he's spent the last couple of seasons at Man Utd playing that way.
    2 words. START SANCHO.
  • I know it seems a bit weird, but the train arrives at 3.54 and i dont want to run anywhere in my wretched physical state. That extra ten minutes might be the difference between a casual saunter and a cardiac arrest.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Anyone doing Wembley Box Park pre match for the England game? Can't see that they're selling tables, maybe i'm wrong?
  • IdleHans said:
    Just booked a pub table for Tuesday afternoon, from 4:10pm to make sure nicely settled for the build up.  Maximum length of booking 3 hours, which I've since worked out might mean we get chucked out in the second half of extra time...

Sunny day and you might see even less on that TV than when Croatia played in black on a half shadow pitch.
  • edited June 2021
    Germany play a 3-4-3. Their weaknesses are a lack of a true number 9 and decent but not world class centre backs.

Their strengths are Kimmich and Gosens in the wing back roles and Kroos & Gundogan running the midfield. Their goalie ain’t bad either.

If they choose a front three of Gnabry, Havertz, Werner, I will be extremely concerned about Maguire/Mings ability to keep up. Stones should be ok but needs to be partnered by someone who won’t be beaten for pace.

Similarly, you need Mount in the side to help stifle the ability of Kroos to dictate the pace of the match. We also need speed in attacking areas to exploit their defensive weaknesses.
  • Germany play a 3-4-3. Their weaknesses are a lack of a true number 9 and decent but not world class centre backs.

Their strengths are Kimmich and Gosens in the wing back roles and Kroos & Gundogan running the midfield. Their goalie ain’t bad either.

If they choose a front three of Gnabry, Havertz, Werner, I will be extremely concerned about Maguire/Mings ability to keep up. Stones should be ok but needs to be partnered by someone who won’t be beaten for pace.

Similarly, you need Mount in the side to help stifle the ability of Kroos to dictate the pace of the match. We also need speed in attacking areas to exploit their defensive weaknesses.
    Your team ? 
  • edited June 2021
    Germany play a 3-4-3. Their weaknesses are a lack of a true number 9 and decent but not world class centre backs.

Your team ? 
    I think it'll be no massive changes...

--------Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

-----Rice Henderson

---Foden Mount Sterling

--------Kane

Rice and Henderson dropping in to cover the attacking full backs where needed. Or Rice can temporarily drop into a back three to weather a storm when required.

Trying to reinvent the wheel and fitting in DCL, Grealish, Sancho just doesn't seem likely, as much as I'd like to see them in the side.

I personally would take out Mount and Sterling, stick Sancho and Grealish wide left and right of Kane and drop Foden into the central midfield three. I don't think Kroos would be able to keep up with Foden's dribbling ability from deep.

Something more like this is more to my liking...

--------Pickford

----------Rice 
    ---Foden -------Henderson

---Sancho Kane Grealish

• Hummels is technically a good defender but I doubt there are many slower. That has to be something we can exploit.
  • Germany play a 3-4-3. Their weaknesses are a lack of a true number 9 and decent but not world class centre backs.

Your team ? 

--------Pickford

-----Rice Henderson

---Foden Mount Sterling

--------Kane

Rice and Henderson dropping in to cover the attacking full backs where needed. Or Rice can temporarily drop into a back three to weather a storm when required.

Trying to reinvent the wheel and fitting in DCL, Grealish, Sancho just doesn't seem likely, as much as I'd like to see them in the side.
    Yeah not predicted line up, actual team you would pick hypetically? The reason i say that as 4231 doesn't negate any of their attacking forwards, also not the quickest frontline (bar sterling. Not nitpicking just generally interested? 

I would guess your line up is close to what it will be, unless they move Grealish in for Foden, from where you have highlighted their strengths (Wings) it doesn't really match up that well. 
  • I can't see Saka not starting after the performance he gave last time. 

With all of Foden's qualities, if we're playing counter attack we need a quick direct runner that can take players on. Foden was never that.
  • edited June 2021

Your team ? 

--------Pickford

-----Rice Henderson

---Foden Mount Sterling

--------Kane

I personally would take out Mount and Sterling, stick Sancho and Grealish wide left and right of Kane and drop Foden into the central midfield three. I don't think Kroos would be able to keep up with Foden's dribbling ability from deep.

Something more like this is more to my liking...

--------Pickford

----------Rice 
    ---Foden -------Henderson

---Sancho Kane Grealish

I think Saka may play over Mount or Foden (depending on the self-isolating thing), and possibly still Phillips over Henderson, but apart from that you're probably right.
  • edited June 2021
    Just a quick draft based on what you have highlighted, which i agree. This below team i would go with, again i wouldn't personally want to leave Grealish or Foden out, just makes sense with the set up.  Also i know for fact this is nowhere near the team as a couple of people i would have over Southgates preferred eg. Trippier - Walker

Pickford
    Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell (Feel he offers alot more in defence and equal going forward sorry Shaw)
    Bellingham, Henderson, Mount (Hendo holding)
    Sancho, Kane, Sterling

Wingers i feel in this set up need to have pace to scare them. I think we have so many options going forward we really can tailor it to the game. 

I'll probably change my team tomorrow :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021

Your team ? 

--------Pickford

-----Rice Henderson

---Foden Mount Sterling

--------Kane

Yeah not predicted line up, actual team you would pick hypetically? The reason i say that as 4231 doesn't negate any of their attacking forwards, also not the quickest frontline (bar sterling. Not nitpicking just generally interested? 

I would guess your line up is close to what it will be, unless they move Grealish in for Foden, from where you have highlighted their strengths (Wings) it doesn't really match up that well. 
    Sorry, I updated my post afterwards with what I'd want to see... it is more attacking and would leave us a bit exposed perhaps.

Lots of comments coming in about Saka which are very valid, maybe you'd have him in the side over Sancho or Grealish.
  • Besides missing a GK what do we think of that team from Neville?
    I thought he had picked David James

• Saka to left wing back in place of Shaw and Grealish in into the front three.
  • Need pace v germany. Defo would start saka
    and sterling. Would like hendo or bells to have a half to inject some energy instead of phillips. 
  • Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Very happy with that draw and run if we can do em'
    Will be down to strength of character - I hope we don't have a repeat of the Scotland performance. 
    That's my concern, they're our biggest rivals with Scotland and the players will know how big the game is, hopefully it doesn't effect us. Need to play players who won't get stage fright 
    Maybe Sancho and Bellingham? Both play in Germany and might just be right for this game.
    Could be a shout, I've said since the start I don't understand why we aren't playing a 433 with those two on the right, they play with eachother week in week out so it just seems logical. Good thinking with the same league, on the flip side the German players may be more comfortable playing against them? 

I feel Grealish and Saka MUST start, Germany don't look their usual composed self at all and those two will run at them without fear and cause them trouble. I also think this will be Kane's game, I reckon he will bully that German back line. 

I genuinely favour us 70/30 atm. My biggest concern with them is Kimmich and Gnabry, if they have quiet games we will do them 
    I agree about Grealish and Saka. Been talking to my brother and very controversial, but I'd play without a striker. 

I'd play Foden as a false 9, with Grealish just behind, Saka down the right and Sterling down the left. If Foden drops deep Sterling will try get in behind with Grealish pushing left. The German backline isn't the quickest, let's do them with pace and movement. 
    Two goals in 270 minutes…..let’s try playing without a striker!

Dear Lord.
  • I’m struggling with us playing Germany, we can’t seem to score more than 1 goal at the moment.

The last time we beat them in a competition was 1966, and we were blooming woeful against Scotland.

If we had smashed everyone 3 or 4 nil in the group stage , I’d be singing from the rooftops, someone give me some reasons to be cheerful, 1,2,3 as the song goes.