Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• A couple of comments saying we've not beaten Germany for 50 years in a tournament game...

We beat them 1-0 in the group stage of Euro 2000
    I really can’t remember that one, who scored our goal?
    Shearer.
    With a diving header. Both teams were poor and neither qualified from the group.
    They have put us put of 4 world cups and 2 Euros since 66. 
  • Germany changed their whole football setup because of that campaign in 2000.

Look how it turned out.

We started later but our football is producing great youth talent now - we need to entrust these kids who are super talented. 

Alas our current manager stifles them.  As for anybody saying France have been average so far.... what the hell does that make England ???!
  • supaclive said:
    Germany changed their whole football setup because of that campaign in 2000.

Look how it turned out.

We started later but our football is producing great youth talent now - we need to entrust these kids who are super talented. 

Alas our current manager stifles them.  As for anybody saying France have been average so far.... what the hell does that make England ???!
    Below average?
  • German team for all their faults do look like scoring. 

We as a team do not. 

Over 120 minutes they will score, not sure about us. 
  • edited June 2021
    German team for all their faults do look like scoring. 

We as a team do not. 

Over 120 minutes they will score, not sure about us. 
    English team for all their faults do not look like conceding.

They as a team do.

Over 120 minutes we won’t concede, not sure about them.

In all seriousness, it’s too hard to call either way. Heart says we win but head doesn’t have a clue.
  • After Lampard was robbed when our goal was disallowed against the Germans and instead of being 2-2 we went on to lose 4-1. Muller had a blinder, Barry was shown to be as slow as Ben Watson is now and the England team were slaughtered.

I want England to beat them with pace and intensity like Germany did to England back in 2010 WC in South Africa.
  • If we sit back and try to absorb pressure they will Muller us ( pun for the older lads on here ) not a chance in hell we will stop them scoring atleast 2 goals Southgate can put 8 in defence if he wants it ain't going to hold out. They are fragile at the back so go front foot ffs
  • Whoever plays right back has a job on his hands, as their left wing back Gosens has been outstanding so far.

Another reason we need to go with someone quick on the right wing (ie. Saka or Sancho), is that Gosens won't be able to push forward as much in case they get caught on the break.
  • edited June 2021
    I'm sure UEFA will take decisive action. The Hungarian PM will presumably back the supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whoever plays right back has a job on his hands, as their left wing back Gosens has been outstanding so far.

Another reason we need to go with someone quick on the right wing (ie. Saka or Sancho), is that Gosens won't be able to push forward as much in case they get caught on the break.
    Perhaps Southgate will play all 4 right backs on Tuesday.
  • AndyG said:
    If we sit back and try to absorb pressure they will Muller us ( pun for the older lads on here ) not a chance in hell we will stop them scoring atleast 2 goals Southgate can put 8 in defence if he wants it ain't going to hold out. They are fragile at the back so go front foot ffs
    This mentality just ignores the reality of what's been on show in the tournament though. Germany have solid defenders, but they're not the quickest and not the most comfortable in their positions. Kimmich is a central midfielder being played at RWB, Ginter spends a lot of his time crossing near the edge of the opposition box and Hummels is 600 years old. Almost all of Germany's goals have come as a result of them getting hit on the counter, mostly down their right hand side. In attack they play without a recognised striker and have struggled to unpick defences that sit deep and force them to cross from outside the box. We would actually be stupid to ignore these facts and go all out attack against intelligent and fast attackers like Gnabry, Havertz and Muller. Leave them space and they'll exploit it, invite them to press forward and they'll leave huge gaps at the back, that's been the story of their tournament. This Germany side is inconsistent and easily frustrated, I think we're well set up to play them, though it'll still be a really tough one
  • AndyG said:
    If we sit back and try to absorb pressure they will Muller us ( pun for the older lads on here ) not a chance in hell we will stop them scoring atleast 2 goals Southgate can put 8 in defence if he wants it ain't going to hold out. They are fragile at the back so go front foot ffs
    This mentality just ignores the reality of what's been on show in the tournament though. Germany have solid defenders, but they're not the quickest and not the most comfortable in their positions. Kimmich is a central midfielder being played at RWB, Ginter spends a lot of his time crossing near the edge of the opposition box and Hummels is 600 years old. Almost all of Germany's goals have come as a result of them getting hit on the counter, mostly down their right hand side. In attack they play without a recognised striker and have struggled to unpick defences that sit deep and force them to cross from outside the box. We would actually be stupid to ignore these facts and go all out attack against intelligent and fast attackers like Gnabry, Havertz and Muller. Leave them space and they'll exploit it, invite them to press forward and they'll leave huge gaps at the back, that's been the story of their tournament. This Germany side is inconsistent and easily frustrated, I think we're well set up to play them, though it'll still be a really tough one
    Kimmich is very similar to Lahm, has spent a chunk of his career at RB so not sure that's accurate. I think the rest of what you've said is very accurate, certainly how I feel about them. They're similar to us, concerns over their defence and some quality young players going forward. Will be a tight game with some luck needed. 

In 2010 not only didn’t they care about being caught on the break, they left people well upfield and slaughtered us on the break. 
  • AndyG said:
    Kimmich is very similar to Lahm, has spent a chunk of his career at RB so not sure that's accurate. I think the rest of what you've said is very accurate, certainly how I feel about them. They're similar to us, concerns over their defence and some quality young players going forward. Will be a tight game with some luck needed. 
    That’s true, what I said was a very broad summary of Kimmich. He’s played a lot at RB and like Lahm his best attributes are his positioning, intelligence and ability to ensure the ball is kept by his team. Unlike Lahm though Kimmich has grown to be far more suited to playing at the base of midfield and controlling the flow of the game to the point where he’s a bit wasted at RB and doesn’t really have the pace or attacking guile to be an exceptional WB. Lahm offered so much as a full back that he redefined that position for many years and was a capable DM if you didn’t have a more natural player to put there. I think the Germans would be a lot more likely to control the game if Kimmich was patrolling that midfield rather than Gundogan who is a great player but a pretty average enforcer. 
  • Looks like you’re just going to have to learn to live with it 
    Not sure what the rush is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't they do this with dreadful Sven just before he screwed up a world cup, and then were stuck with the useless chump on megabucks for ages.
    Not sure what the rush is.
    I imagine it’s to dispel the ‘if Southgate doesn’t get x result against Germany he’ll go’ rumours that the media love to drum up right before an important game. I suppose they’ll have to find another black player to criticise for having money ahead of the next match instead. Bonus points if we lose and a player is spotted having a beer at the airport 
  • edited June 2021
    Fucking hell you’re getting boring now. Never known someone to be so negative about everything. It’s not just England, it’s Charlton…Covid…

I thought Golfie was bad.
  • said this a week or 2 back he knows he is safe - we are dreadful to watch but a 1-0 win over germany ill bite your hand off. 

feel a bit for the welsh not being able to go to the game, thank god they didnt beat italy or would of been a takeover of london in weird bucket hats and funny accents. 
  • Question, did ronaldiniho mean it?

https://youtu.be/0oq974EmpBo

If he genuinely did, I can't see how it is not one of the greatest goals ever scored at a finals tournament.

His head does flick to the left a bit and he has more of a brief evaluation about the bundle and runners into the box.

His celebration shows that he meant it, in my opinion.

• Fucking hell you’re getting boring now. Never known someone to be so negative about everything. It’s not just England, it’s Charlton…Covid…

Blimey, there’s a few candidates who’ll be looking to win the “Permanently Negative” award on CL! 
  • Decent reply from one person... Germany dont exactly beat us in ninety minutes either at tournaments

They won in 2010, we won in 2000... but 1996 and 1990 ended as a draw

• Fucking hell you’re getting boring now. Never known someone to be so negative about everything. It’s not just England, it’s Charlton…Covid…

Blimey, there’s a few candidates who’ll be looking to win the “Permanently Negative” award on CL! 
    Oh no there isn't
  • edited June 2021
    kom nu danmark

skub en purre op de walisiske twats