Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    AndyG said:
    Well as things turned out in the end we couldn't have hoped for a better draw for the rest of the tournament. England havent really announced themselves yet imo and hopefully we will do so on Tuesday. I have been critical of GS but also said he is the manager and it is his call what team he puts out. Without doubt he has some big calls to make for this game. He will be a brave man to drop Saka and Grealish after their contribution last game but to select them means leaving big players out, tough choices all around. He will start with Kane obviously but if I were him I would tell him you have 45 mins to perform Harry otherwise your off at halftime
    No pressure, then?

Is that a bad thing Bob ? Sometimes we all need a chat to say " pull your socks up mate " or are some people above that ? If they are then imo there lies a problem 
  • AndyG said:
    bobmunro said:
    AndyG said:
    Well as things turned out in the end we couldn't have hoped for a better draw for the rest of the tournament. England havent really announced themselves yet imo and hopefully we will do so on Tuesday. I have been critical of GS but also said he is the manager and it is his call what team he puts out. Without doubt he has some big calls to make for this game. He will be a brave man to drop Saka and Grealish after their contribution last game but to select them means leaving big players out, tough choices all around. He will start with Kane obviously but if I were him I would tell him you have 45 mins to perform Harry otherwise your off at halftime
    No pressure, then?

Is that a bad thing Bob ? Sometimes we all need a chat to say " pull your socks up mate " or are some people above that ? If they are then imo there lies a problem 

No, it's not a bad thing. Maybe the phrasing could be different - something like 'give me 45 minutes at full speed and I'll then make changes at half-time'.
  • Literally cannot wait. Going to be a cracking game, favours us, Germans have shown they are vulnerable on the counter and if we match them we should find more space than in our group stage games.

Very happy with that draw and run if we can do em'
    Will be down to strength of character - I hope we don't have a repeat of the Scotland performance. 
    That's my concern, they're our biggest rivals with Scotland and the players will know how big the game is, hopefully it doesn't effect us. Need to play players who won't get stage fright 
    Maybe Sancho and Bellingham? Both play in Germany and might just be right for this game.
    Could be a shout, I've said since the start I don't understand why we aren't playing a 433 with those two on the right, they play with eachother week in week out so it just seems logical. Good thinking with the same league, on the flip side the German players may be more comfortable playing against them? 

I feel Grealish and Saka MUST start, Germany don't look their usual composed self at all and those two will run at them without fear and cause them trouble. I also think this will be Kane's game, I reckon he will bully that German back line. 

I genuinely favour us 70/30 atm. My biggest concern with them is Kimmich and Gnabry, if they have quiet games we will do them 
    I agree about Grealish and Saka. Been talking to my brother and very controversial, but I'd play without a striker. 

I'd play Foden as a false 9, with Grealish just behind, Saka down the right and Sterling down the left. If Foden drops deep Sterling will try get in behind with Grealish pushing left. The German backline isn't the quickest, let's do them with pace and movement. 
    It’s not far off what we played on Tuesday, as Kane likes to drop deep and Sterling especially makes runs in behind.

Can see Southgate switching to 3 at the back with the aim to keep it tight and nick a goal or two on the counter.
  • edited June 2021
    Pondering the outcome and I think the Germany game could give us a kick start that pushes us to the Final. Of course it is also very loseable but then again there are obvious weaknesses in the German team. They clearly compete, but defensively they lack pace which we can definitely exploit. In reality, they ought to be fearing playing us at Wembley than we do them, and maybe we all ought to be positive about this game.
  • opinion seems to be that we'll definitely switch to 3 at the back, with wing backs that's 1 less space up top (assuming he still plays with 2 holding midfielders)
  • Besides missing a GK what do we think of that team from Neville?
  • edited June 2021
    Besides missing a GK what do we think of that team from Neville?
    I wouldn't go three at the back. Maguire and Stones works for me. I don't dislike the team other than that but I would want to have Grealish in it. I would have Henderson for Rice.
  • I think he's fairly close to what it will be unfortunately.

No Grealish or Foden
  • Sponsored links:

• No wonder he didn't last at Valencia.
  • Very interested to see how we line up against Germany, whether we match up with their wing backs or not. It would be a bit strange to completely change formation now, but Southgate might be concerned about the trouble Gosens can cause on his his flank and the space Kimmich creates for Ginter to get crosses in. One thing we can take from this tournament so far is that England have been solid defensively and Germany have been shambolic, horrifically susceptible to counter attacks. They repeatedly got caught on the break by France and were lucky to only concede one, got opened up from their own corner by Portugal for their first goal and got done both on a counter and then from a kick off with a ball over the top against Hungary. With that in mind I'd expect England to invite the Germans onto them and then look to release the likes of Sterling and Foden on the counter. I don't think Grealish will be as well suited to this style of playing so I think he'll be there as a sub. It's a shame Rashford is playing so poorly at the moment as he's one of the best counter-attacking forwards going and he's spent the last couple of seasons at Man Utd playing that way.
  • No Grealish, Foden or Mount. Who's going to create something in that team? It isn't going to be Sterling.

Would be a lot of pressure on Saka as our only outlet.
  • I suspect the Germans will be defensively cautious against us so it may not be a classic.
  • Very interested to see how we line up against Germany, whether we match up with their wing backs or not. It would be a bit strange to completely change formation now, but Southgate might be concerned about the trouble Gosens can cause on his his flank and the space Kimmich creates for Ginter to get crosses in. One thing we can take from this tournament so far is that England have been solid defensively and Germany have been shambolic, horrifically susceptible to counter attacks. They repeatedly got caught on the break by France and were lucky to only concede one, got opened up from their own corner by Portugal for their first goal and got done both on a counter and then from a kick off with a ball over the top against Hungary. With that in mind I'd expect England to invite the Germans onto them and then look to release the likes of Sterling and Foden on the counter. I don't think Grealish will be as well suited to this style of playing so I think he'll be there as a sub. It's a shame Rashford is playing so poorly at the moment as he's one of the best counter-attacking forwards going and he's spent the last couple of seasons at Man Utd playing that way.
    I agree with this.

Its not necessarily a case of us worrying about them. It’s almost that we will use the counter attack which is our strength to expose Germany’s weakness.
    I agree with this.

Its not necessarily a case of us worrying about them. It’s almost that we will use the counter attack which is our strength to expose Germany’s weakness.
    That is what they will expect and plan for I suspect.
  • If we can beat Germany, that draw looks very favourable to make the final 
    Have you seen the Netherlands. They will smash us if we beat Germany.....which we wont btw. 
    More worried about meeting the Welsh in the semis. Just the sort of team that we'd struggle against, under huge pressure from fans and media!
  • Sponsored links:

• A 5pm kick off for a game of this magnitude is an absolute shower of sh*t.

5-7:30pm has got to be the busiest part of the day for those of us with young kids what with getting them fed, bathed and into bed.  It doesnt help that our live-in-nanny is out next bloody Tuesday too so I'll be lucky if I get to sit down to watch any of it.  Absolutely livid.

Need to conjure a plan for a BBQ with my parents.  Mum, fancy doing bathtime?  I'll cook after the football lol.
  • The theory of finishing 2nd has been shown to be totally wrong as far as England were concerned.
    The other side of the draw is so much stronger with France, Italy, Portugal, Belgium and Spain.
    If Netherlands had Van DijK alongside De Ligt I would fancy them for a final spot.
    They have an amazing route to the final.

England v Germany is a 50/50 match and the same people who were telling Southgate to F off will now scream we are going to win.

We have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory against Germany going back to 1970.
    We are more than capable of winning but history affects bodies and minds, that why fearless players with no baggage need to play like Grealish, Saka and Foden. 
    Mount will be a miss as he doesn't appear to be affected by nerves.

• edited June 2021
    Take out James, put in Foden and I think that may be our team, flat back 4, Foden in front of Rice/Phillips, Saka, Kane, Sterling front 3.

That's assuming Mount may not start with the isolation issue, otherwise I think he'll start over Foden or Saka.
  • Besides missing a GK what do we think of that team from Neville?
    I thought he had picked David James
  • Looking at the draw split, I doubt we’ll ever get a better potential path to a final. It’s almost Millwall-esque.
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, the mob we play first stuck 4 past Portugal, although they do leak  rather easily so may be..........
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    A 5pm kick off for a game of this magnitude is an absolute shower of sh*t.

5-7:30pm has got to be the busiest part of the day for those of us with young kids what with getting them fed, bathed and into bed.  It doesnt help that our live-in-nanny is out next bloody Tuesday too so I'll be lucky if I get to sit down to watch any of it.  Absolutely livid.

Need to conjure a plan for a BBQ with my parents.  Mum, fancy doing bathtime?  I'll cook after the football lol.
    agree, I've already convinced the missus to do it all - am sure I'll pay somehow at a later date
  • Looking at the draw split, I doubt we’ll ever get a better potential path to a final. It’s almost Millwall-esque.
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, the mob we play first stuck 4 past Portugal, although they do leak  rather easily so may be..........
    German defence is definitely where to look. Conceding 5 in a group is poor, even if they were on the hardest group. 
  • 8 defensive players on the pitch means that even with a counter we'd only have 3 attacking. 

You need at least 4 players willing to get into the box and running forward with pace for an effective counter attack system. 

If the full backs have licence to get forward then it solves the problem. But doubtful Southgate gives them that much attacking freedom.