Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Never going to happen, but if fans were still not allowed in, it would have been terrific playing a football match in the Colosseum. It can apparently easily accommodate a modern football pitch in terms of space. Ok, back to reality......
  • we beat Germany pretty well - Ukraine will be nackered after 120 mins - straight at it from the off then can take the foot off the gas 
  • Never going to happen, but if fans were still not allowed in, it would have been terrific playing a football match in the Colosseum. It can apparently easily accommodate a modern football pitch in terms of space. Ok, back to reality......
    That would be amazing! 
  • Feels like ages since the last match.  It's been 2 nights!  Been spoilt with the 2-3 games a day.

• Saw this stat online.

If we progress past Ukraine, Gareth Southgate will become the most successful knockout football manager in England men’s national team history.

He already accounts for 25% of all knockout football victories and is tied with Sir Alf Ramsay and Sir Bobby Robson on 3. The remaining three are split between Sven Goran Eriksson and Terry Venables.
    Yet Sven stayed in charge for five years. Incredible waste of money and talent.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Someone’s managed to raise over £7k to give to the parents of the crying German girl so they can buy a present for her. Weird and unnecessary or am I missing something?
  • Should be two really good games today. Hoping Italy and Spain win - still fancy Spain to win the Euros.
  • edited July 2021
    se9addick said:
    Never going to happen, but if fans were still not allowed in, it would have been terrific playing a football match in the Colosseum. It can apparently easily accommodate a modern football pitch in terms of space. Ok, back to reality......
    That would be amazing! 
    We went to Rome in January 2019, just before Covid, and it was an amazing feeling visiting the Colosseum. You can imagine Romans entering the walkways and climbing the steps. It is very similar to a modern stadium but of course you have to respect the pain and suffering that took place in it too. I think it is something football fans, who are brought up to love stadia, get a extra dimension from. I know it was the highlight of our trip for my son and I. 

Sadly, nobody can go because Rome is a great place to visit. Although nothing tops Venice, who I am pleased to see go promoted to serie A. I think they have the best kit in football. I am digressing.
  • Scoham said:
    Someone’s managed to raise over £7k to give to the parents of the crying German girl so they can buy a present for her. Weird and unnecessary or am I missing something?
    Looks like it’s come from a Welsh supporter. Had it not been something involving England then they probably wouldn’t have bothered.

Strikes me simply as just trying to make a dig at England fans and little more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really really weird. Give it to charity or something. 
  • Macronate said:
    Thousands of kids (and adults) have cried at Charlton games. Where’s the money for those poor souls?
    They should know what they're getting themselves in for the moment they enter the turnstiles ;)
  • I think it is a nice gesture, but £7k is way over the top. Parents will be taking their kids to games and try to make them cry!
    Great news for season ticket sales at The Valley
  • Croydon said:
    The internet meltdown over that girl, and the booing of the German anthem, is absolutely ridiculous. People just can't wait to have a moan at England and the English, chomping at the bit to slag us off. 
    The anthem booing is annoying and disrespectful but many fans of many countries have been doing it for years. 

The comments about the crying child are massively unpleasant but the only time I saw them were when people saying how disgusting it was reposted them. I suspect that if people had just blocked/reported/ignored it then 99% of people would never have seen them. 
  • Today will be an easy day watching football without all the nerves we can look forward to tomorrow. A Spain - Switzerland starter, which like Switzerland's previous match, looks a foregone conclusion. I still expect to see Spain win, but hopefully the Swiss can manage another surprise as Spain look ominously good now they have worked out where the goal is. Followed by Italy against what's left of Belgium after the Portuguese gave them some rough treatment. I hope for a good game - either of these will be tough if we meet them later on. But for the moment, it's just neutral football. Tomorrow will be very different.
  • kigelia said:
    Croydon said:
    The internet meltdown over that girl, and the booing of the German anthem, is absolutely ridiculous. People just can't wait to have a moan at England and the English, chomping at the bit to slag us off. 
    The anthem booing is annoying and disrespectful but many fans of many countries have been doing it for years. 

The comments about the crying child are massively unpleasant but the only time I saw them were when people saying how disgusting it was reposted them. I suspect that if people had just blocked/reported/ignored it then 99% of people would never have seen them. 
    Seems such a simple concept to me but it’s apparently beyond some people - if you don’t like something don’t give it a click, don’t retweet it etc. It’s only going to spread that unpleasant opinion to a wider audience. That’s literally how the internet runs - on clicks, likes and shares.