Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• I'm going with Belgium/Spain/England/Denmark to go through.

However would not be at all surprised if it was Italy/Switzerland/England/Czechs
    I'm still going with an England v Italy Final...
  • Not won yet, but what a fooking result!!! The manner of it, wasn't pretty but we did the job and tactics proved spot on by the gaffer. 

I still hope we have a bit more intent the next game, but i wont be moaning once we hear the line ups. It wouldn't surprise me if we go back to back 4 and chuck Mount in, hard to drop Saka but surely Grealish deserves a shot? I am not the manager so well leave that to him but still get in! Its coming home... 
  • Work is proving tricky this morning.... My head! 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    I'm going to show my age now.

This thing with throwing beers up in the air when England score... just why?
    3 years ago this seemed to happen alot, i've not been in as lively setting this year. An old mans pub at home and with my dad lol 

At a guess i am sure its not being a dick and its just having a pint in the hand whilst we score, i tend to personally put my beer on the floor/ table but some people aren't that reactive to the build up, one of my mates did it accidentally against Columbia but we did apologise profusely 
  • England now 2/1 to win Euro 2020.
    Really? That looks like awful odds to me. 2/1 to reach the final seems about right.
    Really? That looks like awful odds to me. 2/1 to reach the final seems about right.
    Bookies arent going to take the risk though are they, make us 4/1 or 8/1 and everyone might get tempted to put a bet on, in which case the bookies then lose a ton of money.
    Bookies arent going to take the risk though are they, make us 4/1 or 8/1 and everyone might get tempted to put a bet on, in which case the bookies then lose a ton of money.
    Bookies can always lay off those bets though. In fact going on the exchanges and laying England at 2/1 seems like a good idea to me.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I think cause people know cameras are on live reactions nowdays it makes everything look more 'limbs' like. It's not for me cause if you get beer on my 98 England replica I'm gonna wanna put someone in a guillotine but I understand it, good for atmosphere etc.

Reminds me of a mosh pit at a gig, only get amongst it if you are wearing clobber you don't care about 
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

It's so odd, presume it's grown from the "here's a reaction to that goal from..." where a few people jumped up without thinking, or got knocked whilst holding a pint while someone was celebrating, and a couple of beers accidently went flying.  Which is slightly funny.

How it went from that to 300 people just lobbing their drinks around on purpose, no idea.  Stupid.

Plus with VAR you may have just lobbed your £5 pint away for nothing.
  • edited June 2021
    England now 2/1 to win Euro 2020.
    The price is right based on the chances of us reaching the final compared to the other heavyweights Italy, Spain and Belgium who face each other before the final.

Because of that I would wager that if we do win our next two games and get to the final, perversely we will no longer be favourites to win it!
  • With the final being at Wembley, I fancy we’d be favourites regardless of who we would face.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

3 years ago this seemed to happen alot, i've not been in as lively setting this year. An old mans pub at home and with my dad lol 

At a guess i am sure its not being a dick and its just having a pint in the hand whilst we score, i tend to personally put my beer on the floor/ table but some people aren't that reactive to the build up, one of my mates did it accidentally against Columbia but we did apologise profusely 
      As much as spill a tiny drop on someone's foot as you walk from the bar and you feel it necessary to apologise profusely.  
    Off topic a bit, but reminds me of the time I accidentally knocked a Scotsman's pint out of his hand in a crowded Glasgow pub.
    Talk about instant bowel evacuation, not helped by the knowledge that my grovelling apology would expose my English accent to all and sundry.
    To my utter disbelief he was as sweet as pie about it, happy to accept my offer of a replacement and leave it at that.
    Still get a cold sweat when I think about it though!

You were probably lucky that the Guy's glass was empty and he had already heard your accent and he realized that opportunity knocked. If it was full you may have had a Glasgow kiss. Pleased you lived to tell the tale.  :o

• I'm going with Belgium/Spain/England/Denmark to go through.

However would not be at all surprised if it was Italy/Switzerland/England/Czechs
    Hopefully Belgium/Italy to go to extra time, followed by the winners vs Spain to also go to extra time

That side does have the advantage of the extra day's rest though to slightly balance England so far having 4 pretty comfortable games physically
  • With the final being at Wembley, I fancy we’d be favourites regardless of who we would face.
    If it's Spain then maybe, if Italy or Belgium then I would expect them to be slight favourites.
    I could be wrong and that's why I'm in HR and not an odds compiler!
    Also don't us English go more crazy betting than other nations? Eg. more likely we will back England even if we are priced wrong/ shouldn't be faves. Always feels that way to me, a bit like our English players who are overpriced in a way
  • bobmunro said:
    With the final being at Wembley, I fancy we’d be favourites regardless of who we would face.
    If it's Spain then maybe, if Italy or Belgium then I would expect them to be slight favourites.
    I could be wrong and that's why I'm in HR and not an odds compiler!
    When we played at home to Belgium in the nations league last October, we were priced 13/10 and Belgium 11/5 with your mob.
  • Sponsored links:

Also don't us English go more crazy betting than other nations? Eg. more likely we will back England even if we are priced wrong/ shouldn't be faves. Always feels that way to me, a bit like our English players who are overpriced in a way
    No, not really - the advent of global online betting has proven otherwise.  
  • Would it not be better to bet on England to get through in the quarters then roll that over to same net for semi and then lump on the winnings again in the final 
  • edited June 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Would it not be better to bet on England to get through in the quarters then roll that over to same net for semi and then lump on the winnings again in the final 
    Possibly - but that's to qualify rather than match odds if you are comparing it to the Outright Winner market.
  • Sounds bizarre, but I would actually feel more at ease and safer if we had more challenging nations to face. The best nations that remain, on paper are Italy Spain Belgium and England. 
    I would rather face Italy in the QF. 

We know more about them and would receive a lot more credit for any form of success.

We do have really tough nations to face. Ukraine will be very challenging.

Denmark....please, no. 

Even Czech Republic would be fucking awful and unpredictable.

It's going to be tough.

Come on England!!!!!

Government should ban international travel too leading up to the final to minimise away fans.

Government should ban international travel too leading up to the final to minimise away fans.

The problem with that is UEFA have threatened to hold the final elsewhere if we don't let them in.
  • What was another big positive was getting Ukraine and watching them drop like flies last night. I know it is wrong, but we are only human. I would expect to beat a full strength Ukraine but we might not have to! 
  • edited June 2021
    With the final being at Wembley, I fancy we’d be favourites regardless of who we would face.

The problem with that is UEFA have threatened to hold the final elsewhere if we don't let them in.

Just quarantine away fans last minute as they attempt  to enter the ground...maybe use Wembley arena as a holding pen under marshall law.

Everyone will understand, we're in a pandemic after all.

We could give the quarantined away supporters  TGI Friday vouchers or something to soften the blow and let them watch the game on a portable telly or something (bound to be one knocking about somewhere).

Think we should do this so I'll tweet the government and call 119 to tell them my idea.

UEFA couldn’t give a shit about fans - it was all the prawn sandwich brigade they were concerned about.