Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• I think that's harsh.
    That's the clearest straight red I've ever seen
  • That’s a shocker. Geezers lucky his leg ain’t snapped.
  • Whats he supposed to do after he won the ball though?
  • Never a red, the forward ran on to him. 
  • edited June 2021
    The Ukrainian guy wasn’t even in shot when he cleared the ball. How can he stop himself with the follow through? No intent whatsoever and it wasn’t a high challenge because he got the the ball first and it was long gone by the time the Ukrainian arrived on the scene 
  • edited June 2021
    SamB09 said:
    Whats he supposed to do after he won the ball though?
    This. I dont understand football anymore. He challenged for the ball & won it. His momentum just took him through into the opposition player. There was no malice or intent involved AT ALL. He didn't miss the ball & go over the top. He won the bloody thing. 

• edited June 2021
    “RED CARD OFFENCE: SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

• SamB09 said:
    This. I dont understand football anymore. He challenged for the ball & won it. His momentum just took him through into the opposition player. There was no malice or intent involved AT ALL. He didn't miss the ball & go over the top. He won the bloody thing. 

It was more of the momentum of the other player that made it look so bad.
  • How can they make him walk back?!
  • SamB09 said:
    Nothing but that doesn’t means it’s not a red card by the laws of the game. There is nothing about intent in the rule regarding serious foul play. If you endanger an opponent, you’re off.
  • Sponsored links:

• So don't lift your foot up going for the ball unless you can retract it in a nano second
    That looked soooo much worse in slow mo
    but score an overhead kick where a defender has to pull their head out of the way is fine 
  • It's tempting fate I know but we really ought to be good enough to beat either of these two.
  • I think that's harsh.
    That's the clearest straight red I've ever seen
    He got the ball but he has crocked the Ukrainian. 
  • They're going down like 9 pins.......

Might end up a 5 a side match soon. 
  • At this rate both of these sides will be struggling to put out a side on Saturday...
  • Not wanting to put a hoodoo on things but you have to fancy England versus either of these 2
    Nae stretchers in Scotland mate 
  • Should be able to put either of these away
    Just glad they didn’t need someone with a defib…
  • Sponsored links:

Just glad they didn’t need someone with a defib…
    It's in Scotland mate they dont have them there, if someone has a heart attack they shove a battered Mars bar down their throat
  • edited June 2021
    Our 5 pens against Germany in Euro '96 were very, very good.
    It's just that the bloody Germans matched them.
    Then up stepped Gareth, who hadn't taken a penalty in his life, all because more senior pro's bottled it (yeh, I'm looking at you "Guvnor")
    Even then the German's still had to score theirs, but Andreas Moeller stepped up with supreme confidence and smashed it.
    Quite honestly I'd be much more worried about our first five takers tonight than in '96.
    Let's beat them in normal time.
    Thought Southgate took loads at club level - remember him scoring them for Palace I’m sure 
    I've just looked it up.
    Prior to euro '96 he had taken 1 penalty.. and missed it.
    I thought I remembered them saying he had never taken one, must have been he had never scored one

• Just to prove the photo doing the rounds doesn’t tell the whole story.... that’s the ball heading away from his foot as a clearance. The Ukrainian player was miles late onto the scene. You can question whether he should have been going in this late as much as whether the Swedish player should have done a vanishing act after clearing the ball
    None of that is relevant though...
  • When did Kenny Jackett get the sweden job?
  • edited June 2021
    Players are being battered in this match just like the local mars bars; more injuries than an episode of casualty.
  • When you think about it. Contact to the head is medically more of a risk than to the leg. So how is it a high tackle when you’ve gone on your follow through is deemed endangering an opponent yet. Knee to the head, on the follow through, is not? Where does that line get drawn. 
  • Why why wasn’t that a red then, crashes into the Swedish defender?

• Should have been another red there. The Ukrainian didn't stop dead after getting the ball cleanly and recklessly collided with the oppo player. Could have been a serious injury caused. 
  • Looks like Ukraine for us.