Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Our 5 pens against Germany in Euro '96 were very, very good.
    It's just that the bloody Germans matched them.
    Then up stepped Gareth, who hadn't taken a penalty in his life, all because more senior pro's bottled it (yeh, I'm looking at you "Guvnor")
    Even then the German's still had to score theirs, but Andreas Moeller stepped up with supreme confidence and smashed it.
    Quite honestly I'd be much more worried about our first five takers tonight than in '96.
    Let's beat them in normal time.
    Depends who is on the pitch, but a good few of the players involved have won a penalty shootout with England

Kane, Rashford and Trippier all scored against Colombia whilst Henderson missed
    Maguire, Sterling, Sancho and Pickford all scored against Switzerland

Barkley and Dier also scored in those shootouts but of course arent in the squad
  • Our 5 pens against Germany in Euro '96 were very, very good.
    Then up stepped Gareth, who hadn't taken a penalty in his life, all because more senior pro's bottled it (yeh, I'm looking at you "Guvnor")
    Even then the German's still had to score theirs, but Andreas Moeller stepped up with supreme confidence and smashed it.
    Quite honestly I'd be much more worried about our first five takers tonight than in '96.
    I know we need to get there, but our list of penalty takers and people who take set pieces regularly , i'd have every faith if we get to that stage.  
    Depends who is on the pitch, but a good few of the players involved have won a penalty shootout with England

Maguire, Sterling and Pickford all scored against Switzerland
    My comment probably says more about my natural pessimism than the quality of our takers  :p
    At least keep Henderson well out of the way.
    I definitely don't fancy the stress of a penalty shoot-out

My comment probably says more about my natural pessimism than the quality of our takers  :p
    Absolutely, especially after that miss against Romania as well

I suppose the flipside of my thinking is that if we beat them on penalties it finally lays that ghost to rest

I suppose the flipside of my thinking is that if we beat them on penalties it finally lays that ghost to rest
    Just dont go and look up the Germans penalty shootout record!! 😫
  • IdleHans said:
    Switzerland isn't a country you can get passionate about
    A thousand years of peace and what do they give us?  The cuckoo clock.
    Refusal to get involved in wars, the last remaining thing to eradicate if we want to claim to be the most advanced species on earth.
    Never colonised any other country.
    Great standard of living.
    Fine chocolate.
    Great scenery.
    Good cheese.

They've a lot to be proud of imo

• Loving these victories of determination, commitment and teamwork over CVs, egos and reputations.

Hope that trend ends now, obviously.
  • edited June 2021
    Spain's first equaliser yesterday ... why wasn't it disallowed (or at least VAR-ed) for offside?

HIGHLIGHTS | Spain and Croatia play out 8 goal thriller! | Euro 2020 - YouTube

Check out the goal at about 1.00 minutes.

Isn't Morata offside?  Or has the law changed?

No-one has mentioned it.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Spain's first equaliser yesterday ... why wasn't it disallowed (or at least VAR-ed) for offside?

No-one has mentioned it.
    Didnt look offside when the cross came in

Guess they then decided that he wasnt interferring with play when the shot for the goal came back in, as he wasnt trying to obstruct the Goalkeeper's line of sight, and actually looked to be trying to get out of the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

No-one has mentioned it.
    Didnt look offside when the cross came in

Guess they then decided that he wasnt interferring with play when the shot for the goal came back in, as he wasnt trying to obstruct the Goalkeeper's line of sight, and actually looked to be trying to get out of the way.
    Morata is in the six-yard box, about halfway to the goal line when the shot is struck ... and arguably borderline 'socially distanced' from the goalkeeper.

Not interfering?

I'm just amazed that it hasn't even been mentioned.
  • Apart from the penalty save during the game last night (although it was a poor shot to be honest), I couldn’t believe how poor Lloris was with penalties. He didn’t even move for two of them. 
  • IdleHans said:
    Switzerland isn't a country you can get passionate about
    A thousand years of peace and what do they give us?  The cuckoo clock.
    I don't mind a bit of toblerone...
  • So 8 clean sheets in our last 9 games and not conceded for some 600 minutes. That is the way Southgate will continue to play until such time as he finds us in a position where we have to chase the game. It's Mourinho's pragmatism over Guardiola's adventure. Whether that will work against the best teams remains to be seen.
    Make that 9 clean sheets in 10. We've seen the likes of Portugal and France trading blows and they are home already. We are a throwback to the Italian sides of a bygone era and that is the way Southgate will play until he feels he needs to change it. As he did today.
  • So which club will be coming for Pickford at Everton next week? :D
  • "Things heated up in the stands between Rabiot's mother and the families of Pogba and Mbappé at the final whistle for France-Switzerland."

• Rabiot's family are absolutely bonkers.
  • Feel drained, not sure if I'll be able to watch the entirety of the Sweden v Ukraine game

Could barely manage my dinner when it was 0-0 in the England game
  • Feel drained, not sure if I'll be able to watch the entirety of the Sweden v Ukraine game

Could barely manage my dinner when it was 0-0 in the England game
    Serious times.
  • Hampden Park shittest stadium in the Euros? Must be.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Boom said:
    Hampden Park shittest stadium in the Euros? Must be.
    It’s by far the worst stadium in Glasgow, I include Patrick Thistle in that list. 
    To be fair they have restrictions like Wembley. A full Hampden is a good atmosphere.
    I think the Seville games win worst so far.
  • se9addick said:
    Boom said:
    It’s by far the worst stadium in Glasgow, I include Patrick Thistle in that list. 
    To be fair they have restrictions like Wembley. A full Hampden is a good atmosphere.
    Don’t think Hampden is even selling out the vastly reduced capacity though. The Czech Republic v Croatia match I went to apparently only had an attendance of circa 5,000!
  • You could get tickets yesterday for this game on the UEFA website for £50
  • So far Sweden v Ukraine quite entertaining, both teams looking to attack not too much sideways/backwards passing. 
  • Advantage Ukraine...
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Boom said:
    Don’t think Hampden is even selling out the vastly reduced capacity though. The Czech Republic v Croatia match I went to apparently only had an attendance of circa 5,000!
    That's surprising mate. Is it coz of quarantine rules or what? 
  • 1-0 Ukraine, Sweden will have to open up
  • Poor defending for the goal, both of the cross and of the shot
  • So far I would be happy to see England face either of these, but preferably Ukraine as Sweden can change gear, but I feel Ukraine are at 100% already.