Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Soucek bandaged and covered in blood. Proppa West 'am
  • edited July 2021

Never a corner.
    It does bring up the whole question of when VAR is appropriate. When is a decision too far displaced from a goal? This decision directly impacted that goal, but how far back should you check?
    replay shows that the first Danish goal from a corner should not have stood, the 'corner' was not a corner .. easy to see the replay from the armchair, the last touch was off the Danish forward .. brings up the point that VAR should be like in tennis and cricket, each side should have a challenge or two .. no guarantee that the Czechs would have 'challenged' the decision but at least they would have had the choice .. one wrong decision like that could mean that the Czechs go home (as I type they're 2-1 down) whereas every goal is scrutinised for offside etc
  • Bloody hell, Spinazzola yesterday and Maehle today
    Don't think anyone has stood out as much as full backs this tournament - those two & Daniel Dumfries for a start.
    The era of the full back is upon us. Gosens was Germany’s best player too.
  • edited July 2021
    Bloody hell, Spinazzola yesterday and Maehle today
    Don't think anyone has stood out as much as full backs this tournament - those two & Daniel Dumfries for a start.
    Well and truly now mate, Pep never spent £130m on Walker, Mendy and Danilo for nothing in 2017.
  • Roasting game and then 6 hour flight to London for the semi final
  • Rothko said:
    Roasting game and then 6 hour flight to London for the semi final
    Denmark haven’t exerted themselves too much in the second half to be fair 
  • They will sleep like babies on those first class/business class seats 
  • se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    Roasting game and then 6 hour flight to London for the semi final
    Denmark haven’t exerted themselves too much in the second half to be fair 
    They did first half, and they look a bit out of it now, goes to Extra Time then it’ll playing on fumes at Wembley
    Gunter for Wales... 
  • Come on the Czechs, we want extra time.
  • Sponsored links:

True.  Maybe that was France's downfall, running out of full backs and playing Rabiot at left back and Kounde at right back!
  • edited July 2021
    Whoever first decided to put the name of where the game is being played on the middle advertising board at major tournaments deserves a pay rise.  

Such a simple idea but I like it.
  • Why ITV?! Why?! Ashley Cole has about as much knowledge and personality as an old fly tipped rug. 
    Ashley "sumfinks gone wrong" Cole.
    ITV have gone beyond dumbing down & scraping the barrel.
  • Whoever first decided to put the name of where the game is being played on the middle advertising board at major tournaments deserves a pay rise.  

Had this last few euros/world cups 
  • Czechs look knackered.
  • All three semis so far have been Red Shirts v White Shirts, all three teams in Red were in their home kits, all three teams in white wearing their away kit.
    White kits won all three games!
    England v Ukraine will be White v Yellow, with both teams in their home kit, so as nobody can win in their away kit, hopefully it’ll be a clean sweep of teams winning in white!
  • Those two semis will be great matchups. Anything can happen.
  • edited July 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Whoever first decided to put the name of where the game is being played on the middle advertising board at major tournaments deserves a pay rise.  

Yeah I know, definitely from South Africa onwards, not sure if it goes back further.  Really like it though.

I don't know why I'm that bothered given it all looks the same, but I like to know where the game is, helps visualise where the fans are & the atmosphere a bit more maybe.
  • MrOneLung said:

2002 WC had it I think?
  • edited July 2021
    MrOneLung said:

2002 WC had it I think?
    Yep!

Germany v Saudi Arabia in Sapporo, Japan

Spain v Slovenia in Gwangju, South Korea

• Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

2002 WC had it I think?
    Yep!

Those pictures are from 2002?
  • MrOneLung said:

Yeah I know, definitely from South Africa onwards, not sure if it goes back further.  Really like it though.

I don't know why I'm that bothered given it all looks the same, but I like to know where the game is, helps visualise where the fans are & the atmosphere a bit more maybe.
    Yeah me too 
  • MrOneLung said:

2002 WC had it I think?
    Yep!

Longer back than I thought!
  • Always love seeing Chrissy Powell amongst the bench
  • edited July 2021
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

2002 WC had it I think?
    Yep!

Source video… probably been compressed within an inch of its life from the original DVD…

https://youtu.be/YRcPO7nGfsc
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

2002 WC had it I think?
    Yep!

Source video… probably been compressed within an inch of its life from the original DVD…

https://youtu.be/YRcPO7nGfsc
    Loved that World Cup so much.

First one I was at drinking age and was on shift work so saw loads of games, plus Japan & South Korea were such great hosts, felt like half football, half travel show on all the coverage.
  • xG ratio of the remaining teams… (higher number = better)

England = 2.34

Denmark = 2.32

Spain = 2.35

Italy = 2.76

The Italians clearly a cut above the rest by this metric. Spaniards are very gettable and the Danes are ready to pose a tougher test than many will realise.
  • Now that the dust has settled, apologies for offering a bit of perspective. As I say, perspective and not negativity.

After the Scotland game I defended Southgate and pointed out that his team is based all around, first and foremost, not conceding - the fact is that we didn't need to beat Scotland to qualify but couldn't really afford to lose. And we continue on that road in being well organised but sprinkled with a bit of magic at the other end of the pitch when it really matters.

This way of playing also means that we rarely start with more than one from Foden, Grealish, Saka or Sancho and this has frustrated many - but as I said then, this is the way Soutgate sets the team up - in his head we have to have two holding midfielders meaning that with Kane and Sterling fixtures in the side there is only room for two more players and one of those will, more often than not, be Mount. If we play a back five and two holding midfielders then there is literally only one place available when one adds the two "fixtures" mentioned.

We aren't the complete article though - yet. Yes we beat Germany and we don't normally do that in major competitions. But they had already lost to France and even drawn against Hungary and had Muller tucked away that chance who knows what might have happened. But he didn't. And now we have beaten Ukraine who have lost three of their five games in the tournament.

All I am saying is that we are any more the world beaters now than we were as awful as we were for not beating Scotland. We are a very good team that has a hell of a lot of potential but who will be playing in the semis a side with an equal amount of togetherness and who are being driven by a cause (Eriksen). On all know form we should beat them. But causes have a funny feeling of galvanising underdogs who have nothing to lose. We will then probably be meeting in the final a team that would have won all of their games in getting there in the shape of Italy. 

So let's enjoy it while it lasts, get behind the team and dream that we can win it. Because I believe we can as I said after the Scotland game. But we aren't Champions of Europe - yet!
  • edited July 2021
    Ultimately, winning is what it is all about and England are doing that. Wednesday could be our toughest test yet. Which, TBF, you have to expect in a semi final. A special mention to the fans who I thought were terrific given the circumstances.

I am an England fan, but being half Italian have a massive soft spot for Italy. They have played well, but have also had their poor game. I am convinced that without VAR they would be out! They are beatable and I think Tuesday is a 50/50. But an England Italy final would be perfect for me.......With England edging it!