Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• I was wondering who were the last Euro Champions to win the tournament without going to extra time in any games.
    Unless I'm mistaken, it was Holland in 1988 however there were only 8 teams in that tournament. So history suggests that if we are to win this thing we will have extra time or pens against Denmark, Or even worse, in the final if we get there😀

• How come UEFA are allowing fans to drink while watching the game? I went to two Champions League games in Germany and Austria a few years back (Bayern v Villareal & Salzburg v Schalke) and the clubs weren't allowed to serve alcohol anywhere. Not even in the bars.
  • I think I've seen every goal so far but I can't remember a goal from a direct free kick. That can't be right, can it? We're at the semi stages now and no one has found the net from a free kick? 
  • I think I've seen every goal so far but I can't remember a goal from a direct free kick. That can't be right, can it? We're at the semi stages now and no one has found the net from a free kick? 
    Nope you haven't, no goals have been scored direct from a free kick this tournament 
    Nope you haven't, no goals have been scored direct from a free kick this tournament 
    Blimey, that's weird. Normally by now goalkeepers are moaning about the ball shifting too much through the air or something. Maybe the extra years practice with it has made a difference but I'm struggling to even remember a keeper pulling off a worldy from a free kick this tournament. 
    Blimey, that's weird. Normally by now goalkeepers are moaning about the ball shifting too much through the air or something. Maybe the extra years practice with it has made a difference but I'm struggling to even remember a keeper pulling off a worldy from a free kick this tournament. 
    It is just based on watching the games, nothing more, but there seems to have been far fewer free kicks given in dangerous positions in this tournament,
    It is just based on watching the games, nothing more, but there seems to have been far fewer free kicks given in dangerous positions in this tournament,
    I feel like there's been quite a few right on the edge of the area where, as we all know from every co-commentator everywhere, it's difficult to get it up and then down again in time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Despite your childhood coach telling you “if you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win the raffle”, just randomly shooting doesn’t actually win football matches. Scoring goals and keeping them out at the other end does. England just scored four and haven’t conceded a single one in the entire tournament. 

The other three teams will be very concerned about coming to the capital of England to potentially play an England team that looks so confident and well drilled. England will make short work of Denmark on Wednesday, what happens in the final is to be seen. 
  •  i thought I had started to understand graphs during this pandemic but obviously I still struggle. This one is confusing me. Average quality?  What does this mean mate? Is it basically we have less shots on target than others but score when we shoot?
  • edited July 2021
     i thought I had started to understand graphs during this pandemic but obviously I still struggle. This one is confusing me. Average quality?  What does this mean mate? Is it basically we have less shots on target than others but score when we shoot?
    It’s the xG per shot. The further along the right a team is, the more the focus on working the ball into high percentage areas for shots, rather than peppering the goal from everywhere which are logically lower percentage chances.

England’s xG/shot is around 0.2 which means roughly one in five shots should result in a goal. Compare that to Italy’s 0.1 which implies they’d need 10 shots to score a goal.

One way isn’t necessarily better than the other but it’s just an attempt to explain the difference in tactical styles rather than “England don’t shoot as much”.
  • A real England in the 2000s feel about that Belgium team, with underperforming star players carrying injuries

It's amazing that after the hard PL season AND the English sides occupying 3 of the 4 European final slots, physically we look good. No injuries at the moment, and other than perhaps Kane, the players looks fresh too
    Age probably helps though. We have a relatively young side so you'd expect them to have more energy.

Aside from Walker (who is no slouch) the entire side v Ukraine was 28 or under. Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Mount and Sancho are all 25 or under.
  • Forget England match tickets, it’s nigh on impossible trying to buy an England shirt, I’m trying to get the 1982 home shirt, any
    luck recently anyone?
  • I'd also imagine the graph showing xg of shots faced would show that we mainly only give away shots to the opponent with a low xg. I'd rather we played like the Italians or Spain tbh, and we certainly have the players to do so, but as long as we're getting the results it doesn't matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    I'd also imagine the graph showing xg of shots faced would show that we mainly only give away shots to the opponent with a low xg. I'd rather we played like the Italians or Spain tbh, and we certainly have the players to do so, but as long as we're getting the results it doesn't matter.

xG England 1.31-1.28 Germany shots map (Actual score England 2-0 Germany)

1-0 Raheem Sterling goal xG 0.66
    2-0 Harry Kane header goal xG 0.47

Some other chances in England vs Germany Euro 2020 and their xG

31st minute Werner missed chance xG 0.33
    81st minute Muller chance xG 0.37 (shoots wide in 1 on 1 with Pickford)
    48th minute Havertz volley chance xG 0.09 (tipped over by Pickford)

16th minute Sterling chance xG 0.03– great save from Neuer
    17th minute Maguire header chance xG 0.06– straight at Neuer
    27th minute Maguire header chance xG 0.09– high and wide

• Despite his age, I think it has been reported that Walker is the fastest player in the squad.
  • Come on Italy tonight, by the way.
  • Despite his age, I think it has been reported that Walker is the fastest player in the squad.
    Not surprising. It was only last year when he was the fastest player in the entire Premier League. 
  • Hard to call this evening - I think most people seem to be expecting an Italy win.
    Why? Surely we'd rather play Spain in the final than a side who don't concede many and haven't lost for 32 games
    Why? Surely we'd rather play Spain in the final than a side who don't concede many and haven't lost for 32 games
    Muttley is half-Italian...
  • Will be very interesting to see how Italy look playing a full 90 without Spinazolla. 

He’s pretty much allowed them to play their way.