Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Honestly don’t know what to make of this from an England perspective. Italy giving up quite a few chances and Spain can’t finish. Spain’s pressing is causing problems but their defence is so high up that the counter is on every time. Good luck working this out if we get there Gareth.
    We'd be the underdogs against either tbh. 
    Don't see how, bookies wouldn't have us that way, highest seeded team?, superior squads to both, game's at our gaff, we have looked the most convincing in the knockouts. The positives go on

So what exactly makes us the underdogs? I fancy us to beat either of these, France were our only concern and they had an off day
    Either of these teams dominate the game against us. We beat them by keeping it tight at the back, waiting for mistakes to pounce on. Tactics won’t change from that perspective, that’s been the Southgate way the whole tournament.
    No chance. Spain would probably have more possession but i doubt they'd dominate. Remember they couldn't beat Sweden, Poland or Switzerland in 90 minutes and conceded 3 to an average Croatia side.

Italy would be tough but we've seen tonight they're not as great as people make out. Spain could've scored 3 easily.
    By no means saying it’s a foregone conclusion that whoever wins tonight is going to run away with it. Only that I think it’s mad to have us as favourites should we make it past Denmark.

I’ll put it as 60/40 in favour of the winner of this tie.
  • Options
    Honestly don’t know what to make of this from an England perspective. Italy giving up quite a few chances and Spain can’t finish. Spain’s pressing is causing problems but their defence is so high up that the counter is on every time. Good luck working this out if we get there Gareth.
    Don't see how, bookies wouldn't have us that way, highest seeded team?, superior squads to both, game's at our gaff, we have looked the most convincing in the knockouts. The positives go on

So what exactly makes us the underdogs? I fancy us to beat either of these, France were our only concern and they had an off day
    Either of these teams dominate the game against us. We beat them by keeping it tight at the back, waiting for mistakes to pounce on. Tactics won’t change from that perspective, that’s been the Southgate way the whole tournament.
    You think this Italy team would dominate a game Vs us? Spain may have more possession but dominate? We must be watching a different tournament. Severely underrating us. As said before, if our name was France or Portugal or Germany people would be wetting themselves over us 
    Nah, we’re decent but these two are clearly the best two football teams in the tournament. They are still beatable but if England can do it, it won’t be because we’re a more attractive side. It’d be a scrappy 1-0 with a late goal or something in extra time. Against good teams, we play to grind out results, don’t get too giddy over a 4-0 against Ukraine.
    Clearly? Genuinely baffling. Italy scraped past Austria and beat a Belgian side that were at about 50% if that and struggled. Spain weren't comfortable against Croatia at all for most of the game, then beat a side who shouldn't have been there and got past them on pens. Severely overrating them and underrating us.

We will revisit this after we put away Denmark and beat either of these in the finals to nil 😉
  • Options
    Spain need to bring on Adama Traore. His pace would cause Italy all kinds of problems in extra time.
  • Options

You think this Italy team would dominate a game Vs us? Spain may have more possession but dominate? We must be watching a different tournament. Severely underrating us. As said before, if our name was France or Portugal or Germany people would be wetting themselves over us 
    Nah, we’re decent but these two are clearly the best two football teams in the tournament. They are still beatable but if England can do it, it won’t be because we’re a more attractive side. It’d be a scrappy 1-0 with a late goal or something in extra time. Against good teams, we play to grind out results, don’t get too giddy over a 4-0 against Ukraine.
    Clearly? Genuinely baffling. Italy scraped past Austria and beat a Belgian side that were at about 50% if that and struggled. Spain weren't comfortable against Croatia at all for most of the game, then beat a side who shouldn't have been there and got past them on pens. Severely overrating them and underrating us.

We will revisit this after we put away Denmark and beat either of these in the finals to nil 😉
    They can have off days and so can we. Nil nil draw against Scotland anybody?

These two teams have the capability to score against you at will. I would be baffled if we kept a clean sheet in a potential final.

I stick by my 60/40 assessment. ;-)
  • Options
    Extra day of rest for the winner of this game too remember. So not sure the extra time would be too major a factor. 

I would rather Italy go through as our midfield would seriously struggle with Busquets, Pedri and Koke. 
  • Options
    Could do with these two slugging it out through extra time.

Your wish is their command. 
  • Options
    The refereeing has been very good in most games 
  • Options
    I think Spain have made Italy look pretty ordinary but they look like they have a mistake at the back.

• Options
    Spain need to bring on Adama Traore. His pace would cause Italy all kinds of problems in extra time.
    He's Spanish?!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Love this ref. No BS. 
    It’s great the way he can see through the nonsense and play acting 
  • Options
    Extra day of rest for the winner of this game too remember. So not sure the extra time would be too major a factor. 

I would rather Italy go through as our midfield would seriously struggle with Busquets, Pedri and Koke. 
    It potentially is a factor when your 2 centre backs are 34 and 36.
  • Options
    These are 2 very beatable teams. Home advantage as well. 
    Ok, so 4 Lol’s here - so they are not beatable teams then? We should be fearing either of these 2 teams in a potential final? Like we should have feared Germany? 
  • Options
    Chellini a lucky boy there. 
  • Options

I mean England didn't exactly look incredible against Croatia either. 

You could point to Scotland as well as an indicator that England are just as capable of looking poor as these two teams. 
  • Options
    He's Spanish?!?
    Born just outside of Barcelona, came through their youth ranks.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

You could point to Scotland as well as an indicator that England are just as capable of looking poor as these two teams. 
    How many goals did Croatia score against us? In fact, how many clear-cut chances did we give away.

We've had by far the best defence at the tournament, that counts for a lot.
  • Options
    Olmo is very un-spanish looking isn't he? He looks like he should be playing for Finland or something. Had a great game though. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Extra time and injuries please. 
    You can't hope for that sort of thing.
    Are we allowed to hope for a 20 man brawl and several sendings off?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spsin look a half chance away from a winner here.
  • Options

Group games, we played them brilliantly and now as a result are the freshest side left in the tournament. I never judge any team by their group stage performances, watched enough tournaments to know the real stuff starts in that ro16 game. 

• Options
    Italy hanging on for dear life, Spain deserve to be in the final based on these first 102 minutes.

I would much rather play Italy on this showing 
  • Options
    As a realist both Spain and Italy have consistently been better than us going forward

And worse defensively 

The intensity, skill level and pace in this game is way above anything seen in this tournament by far.

• Options
    Italy hanging on for dear life, Spain deserve to be in the final based on these first 102 minutes.

Italy are definitely the more tired of the teams, they’ve been chasing Spain a lot
  • Options

Spain look far better but need to make pressure pay. Italy struggling.
  • Options
    Derek Guyler with the tactics board there for Italy. 

• Options
    Pens here we come!
  • Options
    Taking Chiesa, Barelli, Insigne and Immobile off, the Italians have lost all their firepower
  • Options
    Derek Guyler with the tactics board there for Italy. 

He doesn't seem to know where anything is in that, he just flicks through the pages until he's run out of time