Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    The nightmare scenario is Italy going 1-0 up, then scrapping until the final whistle, hoping to catch us on the break

Take the lead though, and I think their aging defence will struggle against the pace of Sterling, Sancho, Saka etc as they'll have to open up more, we'll be able to catch them on the break
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Italy haven't lost in 2 years, and haven't gone behind in their last 20 games.

Yes they haven't looked immense tonight, but anyone thinking they are anything but a formidable opponent in a final, needs to think again
    Yeah but we didn't concede to Ukraine. So who are really the favourites here? 
    Why have you suddenly gone back to negative nelly? It’s so weird.
    Just think the underrating of some of these sides is absurd. 

For instance beating Belgium (one of the favourites of the tournament) by only one goal is seen as a negative. 
    Belgium were favourites with Hazard and De Bruyne... no hazard and de bruyne playing with a snapped Achilles means Italy struggled past 10 men really...
  • Options
    My feeling is 80% we win against Denmark and 60% we win against Italy.
  • Options
    Feel awful for Morata. Bloke can't catch a break. I hope he's mentally tough.
  • Options
    My feeling is 80% we win against Denmark and 60% we win against Italy.
    I'd reduce those by 10% each.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    For me... 70% vs Denmark, 40% vs Italy
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Yes they haven't looked immense tonight, but anyone thinking they are anything but a formidable opponent in a final, needs to think again

For instance beating Belgium (one of the favourites of the tournament) by only one goal is seen as a negative. 
    Belgium were favourites with Hazard and De Bruyne... no hazard and de bruyne playing with a snapped Achilles means Italy struggled past 10 men really...
    Hazard isn't even in their top 5 players currently. His brother is a better player than he is at the moment. 

The worrying thing about Italy is that they managed to keep Lukaku very quiet during the game. A player with a very similar set of skills to Kane. We need Kane finding space in the box if we're going to win the final. If we get there of course. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    sam3110 said:

Who is underrating? The main contributors to the England threads do anything but that. 
    The idea we're the favourites for the game if/when we play them. 

It's at best 50/50. They've knocked out the top ranking side in the tournament Belgium, Spain and haven't been behind in a game for 2 years. 

They played this game without their best player and didn't look too troubled. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England have a semi final to play tomorrow night, if I was the England manager the players would be watching Denmark's matches this evening and pointing out weaknesses and ways to exploit the Danes.

The Italians has no bearing on England  until 10pm or 10 30 pm tomorrow night.

If England win the analysis starts on ways to win the final on Thursday. And they can watch the Italy v Spain match and find weaknesses. 
  • Options
    Thats the first time ever Spain have got to the  semi final  in this competition and not gone through.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    We comfortably beat Denmark 2-0 and then beat italy with a 94th minute winner from Grealish/Slabhead and the whole of the UK is totally unfunctioning for 2 weeks as everyone is drunk
    National holiday called for on a change org page, first one to get 30m signatures... Is ignored by the Govmnt.
  • Options
    I think Spain tonight showed that Italy are not as good as I thought they were and the cynical part of their game comes out once they are under the cosh. However it show they are not easy to beat either. 

If we do get through to the final I wouldn't write us off after watching Italy against another good side, Spain.    
  • Options
    Derek Guyler with the tactics board there for Italy. 

Great wig as well.
  • Options
    So many going all Golfie on this thread.

3-0 against Denmark
    2-0 against Italy 

Piece of piss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simon’s dancing on the line is really effective 
    100%
    so why did he stop?
    bizarre 🤷‍♀️😳
  • Options
    We should only look to Denmark, not beyond that game.
    That's what the team should be doing, we can look ahead as far as we like. 
  • Options
    You would honestly think they had 9 men
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Who is underrating? The main contributors to the England threads do anything but that. 

It's at best 50/50. They've knocked out the top ranking side in the tournament Belgium, Spain and haven't been behind in a game for 2 years. 

All cup final football is 50/50, but we'd be at Wembley in front of a heavily home crowd. That has to make us a slight favourite.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:

All cup final football is 50/50, but we'd be at Wembley in front of a heavily home crowd. That has to make us a slight favourite.
    As long as all the Italians there tonight don't get tickets!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:

Are all semi finals also 50/50? We’re playing on ITV tomorrow night so surely that makes the Danes favourites…
  • Options
    Anybody else see the steward trying to make Chellini go "back" into the crowd 
  • Options
    That was a game out of the top drawer, even if the tempo unsurprisingly dropped in extra time and the Italians started to increase the foul count as they began to run out of steam and penalties loomed.

What a shame for Morata after coming on, playing so well and finishing beautifully for the equaliser (although I never fancied him scoring that penalty). Busquets was an oasis of calm and I love watching Pedri. I also like Thiago as a player but my impression was that he gave the ball away more in the 15 minutes he was on than the rest of the Spanish midfield in the previous 105 minutes. He almost singlehandedly changed the tone of the game and gave the Italians cause for optimism. 

If England manage to prevail against the Danes, the physical and emotional drain of extra time and penalties on the Italians won’t do our chances any harm. Italy are tough and skilful opponents but by no means unbeatable and 33 match unbeaten runs have to end sometime. They would also certainly find England’s array of pacy attacking talent much harder to handle that their Spanish opponents tonight.
  • Options
    Question for the forum goers...

England win the Euros, first major silverware since 66
    OR
    Charlton get back to back promotions, playing Premier League football in 2023. Let's also throw a 2024 FA Cup win into the mix for a bit of fun.

Which do you choose?