Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• I really enjoyed that Spain Sweden game. The longer Spain went without scoring, the funnier it was. Was really hoping Sweden would nick an undeserved winner late on, but you can't have everything.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Controversial take, Spain have never been a great side to watch even when they were at their peak 10 years ago.
    Silva/Xavi/Iniesta... I have to respectfully disagree. When they were at the top they played some lovely football, i dont remember them blowing teams away but i did used to enjoy watching them.
    Very impressive technically but I still wouldn't say exciting. 
  • Portugals starting 11 is incredibly strong, but they have a few decent players in reserve too.

Rui Patricio - Wolves main GK
    Anthony Lopes - Lyon main GK

Pereira - Leicester RB
    Nelson Semedo - Wolves RB, played for Barca before
    Fonté - won Ligue 1 with Lille
    Dias - PL POTY 
    Pepe - great season with Porto and a natural leader
    Guerreiro - left wingback for Dortmund

Danilo Pereira - CDM for PSG
    Ruben Neves - Wolves CM
    João Moutinho - another Wolves CM
    Renato Sanches - CDM in Ligue 1 winning Lille
    Sergio Oliveira - CM for Porto, had a good season again
    Bruno Fernandes - CAM for Man United, their midfield maestro

Diego Jota - Liverpool LW, always pops up with vital goals
    Bernardo Silva - Man City RW, again very consistent in bigger games
    Adrien Silva - played well this season in Bundesliga for Frankfurt
    Cristiano Ronaldo - arguably the G.O.A.T

Cancelo got Covid so can't play but they, like England, seem to have an abundance of fullbacks to call upon

• colthe3rd said:
    Controversial take, Spain have never been a great side to watch even when they were at their peak 10 years ago.
    They suffocated games. 

Were quality of course but didn't really feel like it was much in the way of a match with two teams. 
  • IdleHans said:
    I really enjoyed that Spain Sweden game. The longer Spain went without scoring, the funnier it was. Was really hoping Sweden would nick an undeserved winner late on, but you can't have everything.
    Me too - listening to the Spanish commentators here going on and on about how much they desetrved to win when they couldn't score was very funny. Mind you, if we meet Sweden with their ultra defensive football later on, and lose, I imagine I'll be regretting this post,
  • se9addick said:
    Gutted, two great finishes from Schick who was a class above pretty much anyone else on the pitch apart from, perhaps, Robertson and the Czech’s won fair and square. The pre-tournament excitement & optimism has been hit with a huge dose of reality.

Major changes needed to avoid total embarrassment on Friday against England. 
    I thought we were shit yesterday but i expect to see a different team on Friday and it is a different occasion.

I didn't see anything from England or Croatia that worries me (that doesn't mean we don't have to be at the top of our game just that we aren't out yet)
  • I would suggest the fact they have far better players ought to worry you a little :)
  • Not read whole thread, so apologies if said already - but I see the Hungary vs Portugal game will be at full capacity fans wise - impressive
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Gutted, two great finishes from Schick who was a class above pretty much anyone else on the pitch apart from, perhaps, Robertson and the Czech’s won fair and square. The pre-tournament excitement & optimism has been hit with a huge dose of reality.

I thought we were shit yesterday but i expect to see a different team on Friday and it is a different occasion.

I didn't see anything from England or Croatia that worries me (that doesn't mean we don't have to be at the top of our game just that we aren't out yet)
    I agree . Scotland will win 6-0 .
  • se9addick said:

Funny how differently people see things.

I thought that having let Scotland have about 7 decent chances, I'd be confident England (and Croatia) will put a couple away v them, and having seen Scotland miss them all, I'm not particularly worried about facing the likes of Dykes.
  • se9addick said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I think we’ll get battered by England and then get a plucky draw against Croatia. 
  • No virus in Hungary then, how have they missed it.
  • se9addick said:

Funny how differently people see things.

I thought that having let Scotland have about 7 decent chances, I'd be confident England (and Croatia) will put a couple away v them, and having seen Scotland miss them all, I'm not particularly worried about facing the likes of Dykes.
    Like I said, it’ll be a different team and a different occasion.
  • Mad to see a capacity crowd.
  • Hungary had 21 deaths from Covid yesterday, the UK had 3
  • Hungary was, at the end of last week, reported to have given 49% of its population at least one jab. Curious that they’ve got a full-house of 61,000 (maybe negative tests required ?)
  • Great to see a full-house - just need a Hungary goal to get the natives going
  • Sponsored links:

• Jota having a poor game. Wasted 3 decent opportunities. 
  • Hungary dont look a team making up the numbers in that Group 
  • great atmosphere and great to see a full house.

lovely stadium too
  • We're enjoying the game in our house. My daughter is Hungarian and this is the first football tournament she has watched - very excited!
  • Blucher said:
    Hungary was, at the end of last week, reported to have given 49% of its population at least one jab. Curious that they’ve got a full-house of 61,000 (maybe negative tests required ?)
    Probably just different cultural and political views.
  • What a difference the atmosphere makes.

How the hell has ronny not scored. Sitter.
  • Great conversion from Ronaldo... Wait what do you mean its the wrong Sport? 
  • edited June 2021
    A Covid jab was required.
    NB the players are going down like they've been shot & are rolling around pathetically.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with playing in front of a crowd?
  • edited June 2021
    I can't wait to be back at The Valley, looking at the full stadium in Hungary.
  • edited June 2021
    The commentator said that everybody in the Stadium had to have proof they had been jabbed. I would imagine if we did the same, we could fill Wembley.