Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• That result could make our half of the draw rather interesting as if we get to the Quarters we'll face either the winners of that Group or a third place team from Group A, B, C or D

Well at the moment its Slovakia and potentially Sweden in the driving seat if Spain struggle to find the back of the net. 
  • Still to have seen a good game so far, also haven’t seen a team that I’m particularly impressed with.
  • Still to have seen a good game so far, also haven’t seen a team that I’m particularly impressed with.
    Crikey you’re hard to please.
    That Dutch v Ukraine game last night was brilliant 🤩 
  • The best 2 teams in the tournament are both playing tomorrow tbf.
  • Laddick01 said:
    The best 2 teams in the tournament are both playing tomorrow tbf.
    Are Portugal THAT good?

I've always felt that they've flattered to deceive and have mainly been a bit on England's level the last few decades. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Are Portugal THAT good?

I've always felt that they've flattered to deceive and have mainly been a bit on England's level the last few decades. 
    I actually agree, I don’t think they are anywhere near France’s level. But I don’t think anyone else is either.

I’d have them slightly ahead of Belgium just because they have as many big names and have had that semi recent success.

They are the second best team but definitely feel beatable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Are Portugal THAT good?

I actually agree, I don’t think they are anywhere near France’s level. But I don’t think anyone else is either.

I’d have them slightly ahead of Belgium just because they have as many big names and have had that semi recent success.

I've always felt that Portugal are one of these teams that play as individuals too much - I'll be surprised if we don't get them in the next round.

Can we beat them... As good as I think we are, and as poor as I think they can be, we'll need to be right on our game to achieve it. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Are Portugal THAT good?

I've always felt that Portugal are one of these teams that play as individuals too much - I'll be surprised if we don't get them in the next round.

Can we beat them... As good as I think we are, and as poor as I think they can be, we'll need to be right on our game to achieve it. 
    We definitely COULD beat Portugal, but it would need us to be playing very well and either a lot of luck or a poor Portuguese performance to pull it off. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Are Portugal THAT good?

They have the best player in the world who is capable of smacking a ball in from 30 yards if necessary.
  • If we get Portugal, Ronaldo will probably find a way to wind up one of our players, who will then end up taking a swipe at him and get sent off.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Are Portugal THAT good?

They have the best player in the world who is capable of smacking a ball in from 30 yards if necessary.
    I thought Foden played for England 😉
  • edited June 2021
    Still to have seen a good game so far, also haven’t seen a team that I’m particularly impressed with.
    Crikey you’re hard to please.
    That Dutch v Ukraine game last night was brilliant 🤩 
    Ha.....funnily enough I didn’t see that one!
  • That Sweden v Spain game was about as much fun as a trip to IKEA, but without the meatballs and lingonberry sauce.

That’s the thing about tournaments and their unpredictability - the games you’re really anticipating can be anti-climatic, while the lower key fixtures can produce classic encounters. 
  • Did you see that last night NASA released footage of the Czech's second goal from one of their deep space probes.  It was only online for a short time as there was outrage about much how much they could see of life on earth. So they took it down and only a few people got to download it. Have you got it as I haven't seen it?  If not don't worry it was a bit of a long shot tbh.
  • cfgs said:
    Did you see that last night NASA released footage of the Czech's second goal from one of their deep space probes.  It was only online for a short time as there was outrage about much how much they could see of life on earth. So they took it down and only a few people got to download it. Have you got it as I haven't seen it?  If not don't worry it was a bit of a long shot tbh.
    They could have a look for the ball from Baileys penalty while they are up there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Tiki-Taka works great when you have to half a dozen of the best players in the world like Spain did in 2008 - 2012 but, while they have talented players, Spain don’t have that kind of quality so this threading the eye of a needle stuff is so low percentage. They might actually do better against a team that doesn’t sit deep against them like Sweden have. Keeper has made a couple of great saves though. 
    That constant passing has a negative impact because the players focus is on passing the ball, not scoring a goal. You need players who look up and see a goalkeeper in no mans land 
  • If Portugal don't win today, qualification would be in question.
    Not necessarily, the other two will be playing their game not to lose and a draw is going to be the likely outcome for that one. That means Portugal would only be one point behind them and would have to go out to win the next one, whereas the other team would still be in that play not to lose mode. 
    You pretty much only need to win 1 game to qualify. They qualified last time by drawing all 3 games.
  • edited June 2021
    Spain are the ultimate in ball retention. I counted 45 before they got a corner after one episode of keep ball. The problem with that is when you are playing an ultra conservative team like Sweden you make it easier for them if you never play a longer more riskier pass. The great Spanish teams of recent years with Xavi, Iniesta, and Alonso pulling the strings would create chances and Villa and Torres could finish.
    Ball retention with an end product. 

Alexander Isak, the impressive Real Sociedad, 21 year old Swedish striker could end up in the Premier League. He was the one young talent that left Borussia Dortmund before realising his potential. 

They have kept the strongest group until last and though some may call it the "group of death", when 3 teams can go through out of 4, that is a safety net that may save one of the giants out of France, Portugal or Germany.

Hungary enjoy the experience, you are massive underdogs with no pressure.
  • edited June 2021
    If Portugal don't win today, qualification would be in question.
    You pretty much only need to win 1 game to qualify. They qualified last time by drawing all 3 games.
    Yes, that is why I posted it. This is their most winnable game. Of course it is speculation not fact, but say they drew with Hungary and Germany and lost to France. That could be third place with two points and probably not enough. Hungary are decent but in this sort of group it is important to beat them. The same applies to Germany and France. 
  • Some of Spain’s passing was superb last night, but when they did manage to break through Sweden’s, at times 8 man, defence the finishing ball was terrible. The fact they tried the short passing game for entire game made me realise Spain have no plan b. If they’d attempted something else later in second half, I’m sure they’d have won last night.