Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Poland so disappointing at these major tournaments.
  • Robbie "states the bleeding obvious" Savage has to be up there as the worst co commentator. 
    He's just f***ing annoying and smug.
    Plenty of male pundits and commentators regularly get slaughtered on here. And in many cases rightly so. Are we not allowed to judge women pundits and commentators by the same standards.
  • Emma Hayes's analysis on co-commentary has been really good.  Horrible accent, mind!
    Couldn’t disagree more. Of all the token women commentators and pundits we are currently seeing she is truly awful....and annoying.
    Not clear what's wrong having female pundits? Plenty of bad Male ones...
    Absolutely. Not entirely sure why the inclusion of female pundits needs to be reduced to calling them “tokens”.
    Every single one of them is or was a top level player or manager. I think we can assume they know what they’re talking about.
    @Red_in_SE8  you’re entitled to think Emma is the worst pundit, but I don’t know why you have to make the point about the involvement of females. Unnecessary.
    Because so many of them are so bad. Alex Scott is ok but all the others are truly awful. We could be listening to Glenn Hoddle here..Someone who has played at this level and managed at this level and always offers insightful and meaningful comments . Just because they are women doesn’t mean we have to judge them by a different standard.
    No, but by labelling them “Tokens”, you’ve basically written them off as not good enough before giving them a chance.
    Of course, some of them will be shit. (Probably not as shit as Clive “Cushion-face” Tyldesley or Andy “Pointless waffle” Townsend, but shit nonetheless!) That’s inevitable. 
    But to be honest, I’ve enjoyed listening to input from players and managers that I’m not so familiar with. There’s a lot of decent insight there that is no worse than their male counterparts. I’m pleased both channels have jumped on board here because if nothing else, it reduces the number of pampered self-important male footballers telling us how much better they are than us. And it increases the number of normal people (who are just honest pros) getting some airtime.

I just think it’s a good first step. Women should be involved in the media side of these shows. Once it becomes more normalised I guess people will be less inclined to consider them “Tokens”. But to be honest, it’s disappointing we’re not already at that stage.
  • Robbie "states the bleeding obvious" Savage has to be up there as the worst co commentator. 
    Plenty of male pundits and commentators regularly get slaughtered on here. And in many cases rightly so. Are we not allowed to judge women pundits and commentators by the same standards.

Blucher said:
    I quite enjoyed seeing some new pundits for the Scotland game and thought that Eilidh Barbour and Shelley Kerr (the lady with the big hair) were very good and Darren Fletcher talks a lot of sense. I didn't recognise the other bloke.

Enjoyed the first half Slovakian performance against the Poles. Apart from their speed on the transition and general derring-do, I like the way they have a man on the other flank to pick up overhit crosses (if only Charlton could have done that occasionally last season).

We'll have to see how they respond to that early second half equaliser.

Eilidh Barbour is on TV all the time- she does a good job. I thought Shelley Kerr spoke a lot of sense.
    Eilidh Barber is great.

Shelley Kerr was as bad as the two males - biased pretending Scotland were a bit unlucky rather than pointing out they'd got the selection wrong, being poor in goal and up top, better once they switched to a back 4 etc.
    Most pundits tend to show some bias when discussing their own country. I didn't think there was much between the two teams and Scotland are hampered by the lack of options up front.
  • Emma Hayes's analysis on co-commentary has been really good.  Horrible accent, mind!
    Couldn’t disagree more. Of all the token women commentators and pundits we are currently seeing she is truly awful....and annoying.
    Not clear what's wrong having female pundits? Plenty of bad Male ones...
    Absolutely. Not entirely sure why the inclusion of female pundits needs to be reduced to calling them “tokens”.
    Every single one of them is or was a top level player or manager. I think we can assume they know what they’re talking about.
    @Red_in_SE8  you’re entitled to think Emma is the worst pundit, but I don’t know why you have to make the point about the involvement of females. Unnecessary.
    Because so many of them are so bad. Alex Scott is ok but all the others are truly awful. We could be listening to Glenn Hoddle here..Someone who has played at this level and managed at this level and always offers insightful and meaningful comments . Just because they are women doesn’t mean we have to judge them by a different standard.
    No, but by labelling them “Tokens”, you’ve basically written them off as not good enough before giving them a chance.
    Of course, some of them will be shit. (Probably not as shit as Clive “Cushion-face” Tyldesley or Andy “Pointless waffle” Townsend, but shit nonetheless!) That’s inevitable. 
    But to be honest, I’ve enjoyed listening to input from players and managers that I’m not so familiar with. There’s a lot of decent insight there that is no worse than their male counterparts. I’m pleased both channels have jumped on board here because if nothing else, it reduces the number of pampered self-important male footballers telling us how much better they are than us. And it increases the number of normal people (who are just honest pros) getting some airtime.

I just think it’s a good first step. Women should be involved in the media side of these shows. Once it becomes more normalised I guess people will be less inclined to consider them “Tokens”. But to be honest, it’s disappointing we’re not already at that stage.
    To be fair only one person on here is using the word 'token'. They've had some good female pundits on and they certainly know the game - Aluko is very good and ex Charlton!
  • Both the Czechs and Slovaks won today, a good day for for the former Czechoslovakia

Blucher said:
    I quite enjoyed seeing some new pundits for the Scotland game and thought that Eilidh Barbour and Shelley Kerr (the lady with the big hair) were very good and Darren Fletcher talks a lot of sense. I didn't recognise the other bloke.

Enjoyed the first half Slovakian performance against the Poles. Apart from their speed on the transition and general derring-do, I like the way they have a man on the other flank to pick up overhit crosses (if only Charlton could have done that occasionally last season).

We'll have to see how they respond to that early second half equaliser.

Eilidh Barbour is on TV all the time- she does a good job. I thought Shelley Kerr spoke a lot of sense.
    Eilidh Barber is great.

Shelley Kerr was as bad as the two males - biased pretending Scotland were a bit unlucky rather than pointing out they'd got the selection wrong, being poor in goal and up top, better once they switched to a back 4 etc.
    Most pundits tend to show some bias when discussing their own country. I didn't think there was much between the two teams and Scotland are hampered by the lack of options up front.
    It was interesting that the BBC TV pundits after the Wales game were quite positive, whereas the BBC radio ones were much more critical about the performance
  • edited June 2021
    After playing 51 times for France at various youth team age groups, Aymeric Laporte finally makes his tournament debut at the age of 27.................for Spain.
  • After playing 51 times for France at various youth team age groups, Aymeric Laporte finally makes his tournament debut at the age of 27.................for Spain.
    Bit like Rice and Grealish....
  • Sponsored links:

• After playing 51 times for France at various youth team age groups, Aymeric Laporte finally makes his tournament debut at the age of 27.................for Spain.
    Well to be fair Grealish does have more chance starting for Spain than he does England unfortunately 
  • The worst pundit by far is Ashley Cole - nobody else comes close.

Just like him when having a team photo.
    Rice and Grealish were both a lot younger than Laporte when they switched though. And both only had tenuous links to Ireland anyway
  • Seb Larsson still playing for Sweden, at the age of 36
  • The difference for Scotland was that the Czech lad could finish and they couldn't. I wouldn't be too hard on Marshall, it was a great goal.
  • The difference for Scotland was that the Czech lad could finish and they couldn't. I wouldn't be too hard on Marshall, it was a great goal.
    He was at fault though. The commentators singled out Hendry for blame for taking a shot from about 5 yards outside the box! He was totally blameless in my opinion. It was 100% a goalkeeping error. A terrific effort though by the Czech forward.
    Strange one that one, Laporte and Varane on paper are the perfect foil for eachother
    He was at fault though. The commentators singled out Hendry for blame for taking a shot from about 5 yards outside the box! He was totally blameless in my opinion. It was 100% a goalkeeping error. A terrific effort though by the Czech forward.
    Hendry was just unlucky the way the deflection worked out. 
  • Hayes' analysis is fine - but her accent is truly f***ing boring. It's like listening to Pauline Fowler going on about the space between midfield and the back four...

I'm in a minority but I think Alex Scott is just dull. She started out OK a couple of years ago, but I think she's just full of boring cliches now - it's like listening to Michael Owen. Eilidh Barber is better for me.

They are all, however, to a woman, infinitely preferable to Cole, Savage, Morrison and Keown.
  • Sponsored links:

• My lack of football watching / BT Sport in recent years is really coming home to roost in this tournament. 

Just saw the Spain starting 11 and couldn’t name a single ones club team. Ten years ago I’d be able to for their whole squad. 
    Wasn’t he on the brink of qualifying for England within a year so?
  • My lack of football watching / BT Sport in recent years is really coming home to roost in this tournament. 

Just saw the Spain starting 11 and couldn’t name a single ones club team. Ten years ago I’d be able to for their whole squad. 
    3 of them play for Man City.

Surely you know who Jordi Alba plays for?

That's cos ten years ago there were six Barca and five Real players 😏

Samu but my fifa(game) knowlege is helping a fair bit..
  • Can’t stand listening to Aluko. Boring, dull and just all round annoying voice 

3 of them play for Man City.

Surely you know who Jordi Alba plays for?
    No. Otherwise I wouldn’t have posted what I did!
  • edited June 2021
    IdleHans said:
    Hayes' analysis is fine - but her accent is truly f***ing boring. It's like listening to Pauline Fowler going on about the space between midfield and the back four...

I'm in a minority but I think Alex Scott is just dull. She started out OK a couple of years ago, but I think she's just full of boring cliches now - it's like listening to Michael Owen. Eilidh Barber is better for me.

They are all, however, to a woman, infinitely preferable to Cole, Savage, Morrison and Keown.
    Can I please add Danny Murphy to that list, the scrunchy faced dickhead

First thing I did for this Spain game was switch to the 5 live commentary because of this arse. Danny Murphy shouldnt be allowed within 1km of a studio/commentary box.
  • Olsen turns into Casillas at major tournaments. He’s already in form against Spain.