Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• edited June 2021
    CAFCsayer said:
    Only team I don't fancy us to beat so far is italy
    I know this was pre France - Germany, i personally feel we could beat Italy. Would be a tough game but with their aging defense (dinosaurs) if we played with pace up top they would find it very hard to deal with. 

France last night although they let Germany play a bit and could have easily drawn, i feel they have alot more in the tank. Mbappe is frightening, only takes a split second for someone to lose him or for him to get behind, unlucky with the disallowed goal that was very ronaldoesque.

Portugal score flattered them, but on paper their side is very good and will be a tough last 32
    Do we ever beat Italy?

Struggling to think of a time when we've ever beaten them in a competitive game.
    https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=909&team2_id=1384

Beaten them in a qualifier for the 1978 World Cup (they pipped us to qualification) but otherwise we've only ever won in friendlies

Brazil | Italy | Netherlands | Uruguay are the only four who have a better head to head against us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_national_football_team_all-time_record
  • Finland v Russia should be a good game this afternoon

Neither played well in their first games so should be a bit more level

If its a draw that should see Finland through
    Finland need only a point which all but guarantees a knockout berth. Russia need three points to give themselves a chance. I can see it being a slow game with a late ish goal (60-80 mins) deciding it.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I know this was pre France - Germany, i personally feel we could beat Italy. Would be a tough game but with their aging defense (dinosaurs) if we played with pace up top they would find it very hard to deal with. 

France last night although they let Germany play a bit and could have easily drawn, i feel they have alot more in the tank. Mbappe is frightening, only takes a split second for someone to lose him or for him to get behind, unlucky with the disallowed goal that was very ronaldoesque.

Portugal score flattered them, but on paper their side is very good and will be a tough last 32
    Do we ever beat Italy?

Struggling to think of a time when we've ever beaten them in a competitive game.

Beaten them in a qualifier for the 1978 World Cup (they pipped us to qualification) but otherwise we've only ever won in friendlies

Brazil | Italy | Netherlands | Uruguay are the only four who have a better head to head against us

I'm really struggling to think of memorable England vs Italy matches, other than the 1997 draw which got us qualification, and that's more for Paul Ince!

By contrast England have had so many big games against Germany. 
  • Mental start. Finnish goal ruled offside by VAR
  • Great diving header disallowed for the Fins.
    Looked level with the ball as it was kicked.
    Finland have nothing to lose - pressure all on Russia.
    I thought he was off in real time but then looked like he had got back onside on the replay. 
  • Thought his head looked offside on replay to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Looked level to me, too marginal to be ruled out.
  • Ahhh didnt realise it had been ruled off.
  • Huge chance for Russia

I think your prediction of it being a slow game could be wrong Callum
  • Anyone not rating the commentary, the five live option on the red button is much better
  • CAFCsayer said:

Do we ever beat Italy?

I'm really struggling to think of memorable England vs Italy matches, other than the 1997 draw which got us qualification, and that's more for Paul Ince!

By contrast England have had so many big games against Germany. 
    A flesh wound, compared to Terry Butcher.
  • Christ its a health hazzard facing Finland isnt it
  • LOL Why is the Physio spraying the outside of his shirt? Hitch it up and spray him properly. 
  • What was that shot from Pukki?
  • Sponsored links:

• I must be watching the wrong games. 

Germany v France used to be a proper heavyweight fixture full of drama and passion.

There were some wonderful skilful moments and France look very good but it was hardly a volcano of excitement and commitment. 

Early days, but still struggling to get engaged by this tournament.  
  • And here we have the russian player as he hits the post: 
    OUCH!!!
    and now the Finnish player as he gets a boot to the face:
    OUCH!

• How can a game be both eventful and yet so boring?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    And here we have the russian player as he hits the post: 
    OUCH!!!
    and now the Finnish player as he gets a boot to the face:
    OUCH!

Genuine lol! moment there... Very good!!
  • edited June 2021
    Lovely finish, well not for the Finnish
  • Neat goal, good technique. Feel sorry for the Finns after a good first half.
  • Lovely finish
    Oof class finish... 

Not class defending from the Finnish no.3
  • Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

If Russia win today... Belgium beat Denmark (and Finland), yet Denmark beat Russia

The last three will all be on three points