Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• The thing is, we can only make judgements on one game. Opponents in that game have a part to play. For instance, how poor were Turkey and how good were Italy? We shall know more after the second and third games.

Judging by one game, the team I'd like us to avoid above all else is France. Until the latter stages at least. They weren't brilliant last night but you got a sense of what they can do and how difficult it is to stop them doing it.
    That's the thing though, they weren't brilliant...........but still won 1-0 away in Germany. 

It will take a very good side and potentially a bit of luck to beat them. I don't see many weaknesses in their team at all. 
  • edited June 2021
    I see two players who would worry me particularly. Kante and Mbappe. They certainly have weaknesses but best avoided.
  • So now we’ve seen all the teams, the one thing that kept coming to mind is that, apart from England, all the other teams looked like they’ve haven’t played a game for a couple of months and had only just met up with their teammates. There seems to be a lot of flat footed players in every team being too slow off the mark, balls played into areas in the expectation that a player will run into the space that didn’t happen, and untold number of interceptions of passes that didn’t have a chance of getting to the player it was intended for in the first place. Yes, there were 3 English clubs in the two European finals but most of those players wouldn’t have been English so that doesn’t explain why England looked, IMO, a few weeks further down the line in a tournament of teams still in pre-season match fitness. Weather could have explained it if it was cooler in the UK but it was a hot sunny afternoon last Saturday so that can’t be a factor. The only thing that I think England have in their favour that most of the other countries don’t have is that apart from one player the team/ squad all play in England so are more familiar with the way each other plays, whereas every other country’s team has a number of players fhat earn their money playing for a club in another country. 
  • So now we’ve seen all the teams, the one thing that kept coming to mind is that, apart from England, all the other teams looked like they’ve haven’t played a game for a couple of months and had only just met up with their teammates. There seems to be a lot of flat footed players in every team being too slow off the mark, balls played into areas in the expectation that a player will run into the space that didn’t happen, and untold number of interceptions of passes that didn’t have a chance of getting to the player it was intended for in the first place. Yes, there were 3 English clubs in the two European finals but most of those players wouldn’t have been English so that doesn’t explain why England looked, IMO, a few weeks further down the line in a tournament of teams still in pre-season match fitness. Weather could have explained it if it was cooler in the UK but it was a hot sunny afternoon last Saturday so that can’t be a factor. The only thing that I think England have in their favour that most of the other countries don’t have is that apart from one player the team/ squad all play in England so are more familiar with the way each other plays, whereas every other country’s team has a number of players fhat earn their money playing for a club in another country. 
    I think you might be seeing what you want to see there!
  • edited June 2021
    se9addick said:
    So now we’ve seen all the teams, the one thing that kept coming to mind is that, apart from England, all the other teams looked like they’ve haven’t played a game for a couple of months and had only just met up with their teammates. There seems to be a lot of flat footed players in every team being too slow off the mark, balls played into areas in the expectation that a player will run into the space that didn’t happen, and untold number of interceptions of passes that didn’t have a chance of getting to the player it was intended for in the first place. Yes, there were 3 English clubs in the two European finals but most of those players wouldn’t have been English so that doesn’t explain why England looked, IMO, a few weeks further down the line in a tournament of teams still in pre-season match fitness. Weather could have explained it if it was cooler in the UK but it was a hot sunny afternoon last Saturday so that can’t be a factor. The only thing that I think England have in their favour that most of the other countries don’t have is that apart from one player the team/ squad all play in England so are more familiar with the way each other plays, whereas every other country’s team has a number of players fhat earn their money playing for a club in another country. 
    There is that of course…

this next round of games might show us something different in those teams, or more or the same
  • Or, just to throw another factor into the mix, 3 of the 4 finalists in the two European finals were English PL teams. It was close to being all 4. That tends to suggest the style of play in the PL had the edge last season. Maybe with so many PL players in the England team it means the squad has gelled more quickly through familiarity, whereas other country’s teams are burdened with a healthy mix of PL players and non-PL players and that’s what is causing that disconnect on the pitch that I think we’ve been seeing in that first round of games.
  • Yeah, maybe…
  • Yeah, maybe…
  • Or, just to throw another factor into the mix, 3 of the 4 finalists in the two European finals were English PL teams. It was close to being all 4. That tends to suggest the style of play in the PL had the edge last season. Maybe with so many PL players in the England team it means the squad has gelled more quickly through familiarity, whereas other country’s teams are burdened with a healthy mix of PL players and non-PL players and that’s what is causing that disconnect on the pitch that I think we’ve been seeing in that first round of games.
    Or it suggests that perhaps the 2 Champions league finalists spending over 350m on new signings in a season where almost all of the rest of Europe's top clubs struggled financially because of Covid, gave them the edge?
    Or it suggests that perhaps the 2 Champions league finalists spending over 350m on new signings in a season where almost all of the rest of Europe's top clubs struggled financially because of Covid, gave them the edge?
    Teams with deep pockets just spend more money, they don’t necessarily get better value for their money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Griezmann looks like he works in a bar in Shoreditch
    Lets see a picture of your good self then…

No. Now get back behind the jump and serve the city workers and hipsters before your boss sees you on your phone.
    Don’t avoid the question…

Edited post...scroll up and you'll see a recent one.  Not my best.
    Fanny magnet 🧲 
    agreed
    Think there is an argument that the best 3 teams so far, England, France and Italy play a very top end Premier League style, high press and quick on transition.
  • But we do have to see more football before we can make reliable conclusions.
  • https://www.football365.com/news/france-let-pavard-continue-knocked-out-concussion

That's pretty bad, you can't be just "a bit" knocked out and treating concussion lightly is a terrible idea.
  • I don't think the ref stopped the game quickly enough
  • Portugal look good albeit against weak opposition .. Germany can't score, France look good on the break but rely on Kanté doing the work of three men .. Italy look in form as do England .. Scots can't score, Wales are full of hwyl but lack technique ((:>) .. Netherlands are better than expected, Belgium look decent .. good tournament so far .. great to see, and hear crowds once again
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Only team I don't fancy us to beat so far is italy
    I know this was pre France - Germany, i personally feel we could beat Italy. Would be a tough game but with their aging defense (dinosaurs) if we played with pace up top they would find it very hard to deal with. 

France last night although they let Germany play a bit and could have easily drawn, i feel they have alot more in the tank. Mbappe is frightening, only takes a split second for someone to lose him or for him to get behind, unlucky with the disallowed goal that was very ronaldoesque.

Portugal score flattered them, but on paper their side is very good and will be a tough last 32
    Teams with deep pockets just spend more money, they don’t necessarily get better value for their money.
    If you compare wages paid to league position it has a very strong correlation. 

The bigger spenders tend to win more, it's just a fact. 
  • I know some of you may think I have an irrational dislike of Clive Tyldesley, the cushion faced prick, but I’ve been paying close attention in the last few minutes to what he actually says during the game.
    For the last fifteen minutes or so, he hasn’t done any real commentating - you know, the old “Griezmann…Mbappe…to Kante…” sort of thing. He actually doesn’t do the job he’s paid to do. All he does is make banal, dim witted or spiteful comments to try to make his co-commentator laugh. He’s like a bloke who’s come into your house and keeps piping up with shit jokes while you’re trying to focus on the game. Drives me mad.
    He’s an utter prick. (With a face like a cushion).
    I completely agree, i have many times sworn at the TV after listening to his irritating bullshit. I was delighted when I heard ITV had given Sam Whatshisface the top job. 

I know some of you may think I have an irrational dislike of Clive Tyldesley, the cushion faced prick, but I’ve been paying close attention in the last few minutes to what he actually says during the game.
    For the last fifteen minutes or so, he hasn’t done any real commentating - you know, the old “Griezmann…Mbappe…to Kante…” sort of thing. He actually doesn’t do the job he’s paid to do. All he does is make banal, dim witted or spiteful comments to try to make his co-commentator laugh. He’s like a bloke who’s come into your house and keeps piping up with shit jokes while you’re trying to focus on the game. Drives me mad.
    I completely agree, i have many times sworn at the TV after listening to his irritating bullshit. I was delighted when I heard ITV had given Sam Whatshisface the top job. 

Bloody hell. You should try French commentators. They weren't so bad last night but they still had a tendency to ramble on off topic. The real horror show is in the studio. It's akin to The Peter Crouch programme with people who know nothing about the game. They often invite a comedian and / or journalist. There is no proper analysis. Perhaps this is why Vierra was on ITV; he is far too knowledgeable about the game for the French studio's tastes - no joke. It's a shame because I don't see that the French public wouldn't appreciate it.
  • se9addick said:
    So now we’ve seen all the teams, the one thing that kept coming to mind is that, apart from England, all the other teams looked like they’ve haven’t played a game for a couple of months and had only just met up with their teammates. There seems to be a lot of flat footed players in every team being too slow off the mark, balls played into areas in the expectation that a player will run into the space that didn’t happen, and untold number of interceptions of passes that didn’t have a chance of getting to the player it was intended for in the first place. Yes, there were 3 English clubs in the two European finals but most of those players wouldn’t have been English so that doesn’t explain why England looked, IMO, a few weeks further down the line in a tournament of teams still in pre-season match fitness. Weather could have explained it if it was cooler in the UK but it was a hot sunny afternoon last Saturday so that can’t be a factor. The only thing that I think England have in their favour that most of the other countries don’t have is that apart from one player the team/ squad all play in England so are more familiar with the way each other plays, whereas every other country’s team has a number of players fhat earn their money playing for a club in another country. 
    I think so too. That reminds me of my over optimistic feelings when I was younger. There's one point I would even then have disagreed with and that is the players overseas subject. I think that having players in different countries can only be a help not a hindrance - so long as they're at top clubs that is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Enjoying the tournament so far , but most of the teams , including Germany and Spain , have looked bang average . Only Italy, Portugal  , Belgium and dare I say , England have impressed . Early days , but we could go a long way .
  • Enjoying the tournament so far , but most of the teams , including Germany and Spain , have looked bang average . Only Italy, Portugal  , Belgium and dare I say , England have impressed . Early days , but we could go a long way .
    France didn't impress ?
    France didn't impress ?

.not when you consider how poor Germany were
    France didn't impress ?

.not when you consider how poor Germany were
    And their only goal was a fluke own goal 
  • Austria star Marko Arnautovic has denied being a racist while apologising for making an offensive slur in his side's win over North Macedonia, but is now the subject of a UEFA investigation.

Arnautovic scored in Austria's 3-1 victory on Sunday and was seen gesturing in the direction of North Macedonia's Ezgjan Alioski, allegedly saying: "I'm f***ing your Albanian mother".

The striker has been accused of using a racially charged word during his confrontation with Alioski, but Arnautovic has denied it while also apologising for the "heated" incident.

What did Arnautovic have to say?

"There were some heated words yesterday in the emotions of the game for which I would like to APOLOGIZE - especially to my friends from North Macedonia and Albania," he wrote on Instagram.

"I would like to say one thing very clearly: I AM NOT A RACIST! I have friends in almost every country and I stand for diversity. Everyone who knows me is aware of that."

UEFA's response

UEFA have launched an official investigation into Anautovic's actions after receiving a letter from The North Macedonian Football Association (FFM) in which they demanded that the 32-year-old face the "severest punishment".

The statement released on Tuesday morning reads: "In accordance with the Article 31(4) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to conduct an investigation regarding the incident involving the player Marko Arnautović that occurred during the 2020 European Championship group-stage match between the national teams of Austria and North Macedonia on 13 June 2021.

"Further information on this matter will be made available in due course."

The meaning behind Arnautovic's words

The use of language reportedly dates back to the Kosovo War, with Arnautovic, whose father is Serbian, targeting Alioski, who is of Albanian origins.

Arnautovic allegedly used an anti-Albanian slur towards Egzon Bejtulai before then celebrating his goal by yelling towards Alioski, only stopping after being restrained by team-mate David Alaba.

There is historic tension between Serbia and Albania, while Serbia and North Macedonia have long had a tense relationship.

The politics surrounding these countries were also a major talking point at the 2018 World Cup, when Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri were fined £7,600 each after the two Swiss stars, who have Albanian links, celebrated by putting their hands together to form a double-headed eagle representing the Albanian flag during a game against Serbia.

Has been given a one game ban
    France didn't impress ?
    Not overly , but they will undoubtedly get better.  They should have battered a poor german side . I think even Ben Watson would have skinned Hummels. 
  • Finland v Russia should be a good game this afternoon

Neither played well in their first games so should be a bit more level

If its a draw that should see Finland through
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Only team I don't fancy us to beat so far is italy
    I know this was pre France - Germany, i personally feel we could beat Italy. Would be a tough game but with their aging defense (dinosaurs) if we played with pace up top they would find it very hard to deal with. 

France last night although they let Germany play a bit and could have easily drawn, i feel they have alot more in the tank. Mbappe is frightening, only takes a split second for someone to lose him or for him to get behind, unlucky with the disallowed goal that was very ronaldoesque.

Portugal score flattered them, but on paper their side is very good and will be a tough last 32
    Do we ever beat Italy?

Struggling to think of a time when we've ever beaten them in a competitive game.
  • You will see a totally different Turkey today and I believe they will attack and support their decent striker who had no service against a strong Italian Side. Fancy them to win by a couple of goals.
    My Maternal Welsh grandad will be looking down on me with distain but never let your heart rule your head when it comes to predictions.
  • I know some of you may think I have an irrational dislike of Clive Tyldesley, the cushion faced prick, but I’ve been paying close attention in the last few minutes to what he actually says during the game.

I know some of you may think I have an irrational dislike of Clive Tyldesley, the cushion faced prick, but I’ve been paying close attention in the last few minutes to what he actually says during the game.

Bloody hell. You should try French commentators. They weren't so bad last night but they still had a tendency to ramble on off topic. The real horror show is in the studio. It's akin to The Peter Crouch programme with people who know nothing about the game. They often invite a comedian and / or journalist. There is no proper analysis. Perhaps this is why Vierra was on ITV; he is far too knowledgeable about the game for the French studio's tastes - no joke. It's a shame because I don't see that the French public wouldn't appreciate it.
    I hope Vieira and Roy Keane jostle and abuse each other in the green room before the transmission starts, for old times sake  ;)