Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Verane has been immense 
  • Germany look devoid of life in the final 3rd.

Not sure if that’s just France or whether its something that’ll be a common occurrence.
  • Not sure if this is a really good French side or a really shit German one?
  • edited June 2021
    On that showing England v Germany in the Round of 16 could well be a repeat of the 2010 World Cup encounter - Ageing team, coming up against a youthful team with bags of potential...

Am glad that France play Hungary next though.

Else if their next game was against Portugal (and they lost), well England winning our Group could see us facing the French in the second round rather than Portugal or Germany - If that scenario looks likely with both us and Czech Republic on six points (with us in second), I bet we'd deliberately draw that final game...
  • France good defensively although I think a team with a decent centre forward could hurt them. They allowed too many crosses into the box, especially down the right hand side. They’ve definitely got another gear to go up going forward tho, which is frightening to any side.
  • From the bits I saw France impressed me. 
  • I cant see Germany getting 2nd place in the group. I hope France beat Portugal as I would rather play Portugal next given the choice. Although it would be interesting to see who Southgate would put as RB against Mbappe, Walker may have pace but mbappe would turn him inside out I think 
  • France obviously the best squad in the tournament but they aren't miles ahead of everyone else. First half especially they were pretty sloppy giving the ball away
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Controversial take, Spain have never been a great side to watch even when they were at their peak 10 years ago.
    Silva/Xavi/Iniesta... I have to respectfully disagree. When they were at the top they played some lovely football, i dont remember them blowing teams away but i did used to enjoy watching them.
    Very impressive technically but I still wouldn't say exciting. 
    Great side to watch though. Even if they weren't exciting they were fantastic to watch pass the ball around with a care free arrogance.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    I cant see Germany getting 2nd place in the group. I hope France beat Portugal as I would rather play Portugal next given the choice. Although it would be interesting to see who Southgate would put as RB against Mbappe, Walker may have pace but mbappe would turn him inside out I think 
    Reece James would be my only other choice given how he dealt with Sterling in the Champions League Final
  • AndyG said:
    I cant see Germany getting 2nd place in the group. I hope France beat Portugal as I would rather play Portugal next given the choice. Although it would be interesting to see who Southgate would put as RB against Mbappe, Walker may have pace but mbappe would turn him inside out I think 
    Hold Walker back as a purely defensive RB. Play Chilwell and Sterling down the left and target Pavard.

He’s not a bad footballer, but I think you can get at them down that flank. Especially if they play the narrow 41212.
  • Having seen everybody now who do people think are looking strongest? France always looked like they could go through the gears if they wanted but on their second half showing I think Italy look best placed to beat them.
  • Walker marked him away in Paris didnt he?
  • Having seen everybody now who do people think are looking strongest? France always looked like they could go through the gears if they wanted but on their second half showing I think Italy look best placed to beat them.
    Italy, France and Belgium lead the way for me - England and Portugal are the best of the rest
  • edited June 2021
    On that showing England v Germany in the Round of 16 could well be a repeat of the 2010 World Cup encounter - Ageing team, coming up against a youthful team with bags of potential...
    But goal line tech would help Germany to equalise 2-2.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    But goal line tech would help Germany to equalise 2-2.
    Will be bloody typical if that happens
  • Not sure if this is a really good French side or a really shit German one?
    I just checked the score and it was 1-0 to France with an OG winner. Germany didn't have a cutting edge but France had to rely on the OG to collect 3 points. Off side goals don't count !

No shocks after the first games other than most of us had Spain to beat Sweden.

• Will be hoping France beat Hungary comfortably as would like to avoid them in the next round. Not impressed by Germany at all. 
  • Dull game tbh, hasn't been too bad - enjoyed netherland Ukraine but rest has been average. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure I expected Slovakia to beat Poland, but hardly the upset of the century. 
  • Sane was attrocious when he came on. Mikel Alonso levels of bad. Volland was awful too. 

France largely comfortable and very dangerous on the break. Squad depth they have is insane too.
  • AndyG said:
    Walker had him in his pocket, in the UCL semis..
  • Blucher said:
    Hungary was, at the end of last week, reported to have given 49% of its population at least one jab. Curious that they’ve got a full-house of 61,000 (maybe negative tests required ?)
    They said that the Hungarian fans had to have had the vaccine, and the Portuguese fans were allowed with a negative test.

The Hungarians have really shown the other nations how to go about it here. There's no reason not to have a capacity crowd.

I'm fully behind the Hungarian team now. I would have been anyway seeing that they're the big underdogs, but now that they've taken this stance they are my other choice of nation to cheer on.
  • I know some of you may think I have an irrational dislike of Clive Tyldesley, the cushion faced prick, but I’ve been paying close attention in the last few minutes to what he actually says during the game.
    For the last fifteen minutes or so, he hasn’t done any real commentating - you know, the old “Griezmann…Mbappe…to Kante…” sort of thing. He actually doesn’t do the job he’s paid to do. All he does is make banal, dim witted or spiteful comments to try to make his co-commentator laugh. He’s like a bloke who’s come into your house and keeps piping up with shit jokes while you’re trying to focus on the game. Drives me mad.
    He’s an utter prick. (With a face like a cushion).
    I completely agree, i have many times sworn at the TV after listening to his irritating bullshit. I was delighted when I heard ITV had given Sam Whatshisface the top job. 

• What a player Kimmich is, has to be one of the best in the world right now. As for Germany, their passing and composure impressed me but they were suspect to a counter and like Spain seem to lack any sting upfront. Germany Portugal will be interesting

As for France deffo talked up a bit too much, there are holes in their game, equally though they have gears we haven't seen yet. It sounds crazy but if we do play them I think we could match them, as said above target Pavard, have Reece James take on Mbappe. Phillips, Rice and Mount could contest their midfield imo, would just come down to who performs on the day 

• Austria star Marko Arnautovic has denied being a racist while apologising for making an offensive slur in his side's win over North Macedonia, but is now the subject of a UEFA investigation.

Arnautovic scored in Austria's 3-1 victory on Sunday and was seen gesturing in the direction of North Macedonia's Ezgjan Alioski, allegedly saying: "I'm f***ing your Albanian mother".

The striker has been accused of using a racially charged word during his confrontation with Alioski, but Arnautovic has denied it while also apologising for the "heated" incident.

What did Arnautovic have to say?

"There were some heated words yesterday in the emotions of the game for which I would like to APOLOGIZE - especially to my friends from North Macedonia and Albania," he wrote on Instagram.

"I would like to say one thing very clearly: I AM NOT A RACIST! I have friends in almost every country and I stand for diversity. Everyone who knows me is aware of that."

UEFA's response

UEFA have launched an official investigation into Anautovic's actions after receiving a letter from The North Macedonian Football Association (FFM) in which they demanded that the 32-year-old face the "severest punishment".

The statement released on Tuesday morning reads: "In accordance with the Article 31(4) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to conduct an investigation regarding the incident involving the player Marko Arnautović that occurred during the 2020 European Championship group-stage match between the national teams of Austria and North Macedonia on 13 June 2021.

"Further information on this matter will be made available in due course."

The meaning behind Arnautovic's words

The use of language reportedly dates back to the Kosovo War, with Arnautovic, whose father is Serbian, targeting Alioski, who is of Albanian origins.

Arnautovic allegedly used an anti-Albanian slur towards Egzon Bejtulai before then celebrating his goal by yelling towards Alioski, only stopping after being restrained by team-mate David Alaba.

There is historic tension between Serbia and Albania, while Serbia and North Macedonia have long had a tense relationship.

The politics surrounding these countries were also a major talking point at the 2018 World Cup, when Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri were fined £7,600 each after the two Swiss stars, who have Albanian links, celebrated by putting their hands together to form a double-headed eagle representing the Albanian flag during a game against Serbia.

• AndyG said:
    I'm assuming that all 3 sides beat Hungary, so Germany v Portugal on Saturday will probably decide second spot.

For once i'll be cheering on Germany as if they finish second i'd fancy us to beat them more than i would Portugal.
  • The thing is, we can only make judgements on one game. Opponents in that game have a part to play. For instance, how poor were Turkey and how good were Italy? We shall know more after the second and third games.

Judging by one game, the team I'd like us to avoid above all else is France. Until the latter stages at least. They weren't brilliant last night but you got a sense of what they can do and how difficult it is to stop them doing it.
  • France good defensively although I think a team with a decent centre forward could hurt them. They allowed too many crosses into the box, especially down the right hand side. They’ve definitely got another gear to go up going forward tho, which is frightening to any side.
    That was clearly the plan though, as the Germans’s didn’t really have a great target option. The French were being really compact and letting it go wide and just saying “try your luck”. The whole defensive shape was to stop little through balls. 

When the German’s changed it Sane and Werner couldn’t get in the game at all.

I think against different teams they’d set up differently. But on the whole I’d agree that they didn’t look like all conquering world beaters to me last night, but any team with Kante in it definitely deserves to be favourites. He just makes the game so much easier for those around him.