Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Commentator Robyn Cowen has been good.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    And here we have the russian player as he hits the post: 
    OUCH!!!
    and now the Finnish player as he gets a boot to the face:
    OUCH!

Thank you Moss.
  • edited June 2021
    CAFCsayer said:
    Only team I don't fancy us to beat so far is italy
    I know this was pre France - Germany, i personally feel we could beat Italy. Would be a tough game but with their aging defense (dinosaurs) if we played with pace up top they would find it very hard to deal with. 

France last night although they let Germany play a bit and could have easily drawn, i feel they have alot more in the tank. Mbappe is frightening, only takes a split second for someone to lose him or for him to get behind, unlucky with the disallowed goal that was very ronaldoesque.

Portugal score flattered them, but on paper their side is very good and will be a tough last 32
    Do we ever beat Italy?

Struggling to think of a time when we've ever beaten them in a competitive game.
    https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=909&team2_id=1384

Beaten them in a qualifier for the 1978 World Cup (they pipped us to qualification) but otherwise we've only ever won in friendlies

Brazil | Italy | Netherlands | Uruguay are the only four who have a better head to head against us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_national_football_team_all-time_record
    I'm really struggling to think of memorable England vs Italy matches, other than the 1997 draw which got us qualification, and that's more for Paul Ince!

By contrast England have had so many big games against Germany. 

2 nil in the Le Tournoi de France in 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7HxenMFhk
  • This Suomi side are reminding me of us last season. very few decent passes for the forwards to work with. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    This Suomi side are reminding me of us last season. very few decent passes for the forwards to work with. 
    You mean they are shit?
  • It’s hard for Finland because they don’t have the creative outlet to be effective at building up play, but they also lack real pace on the counter.

Unless they win the ball high up the pitch they look a little flat
  • Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

If Russia win today... Belgium beat Denmark (and Finland), yet Denmark beat Russia

The last three will all be on three points
    And how much they beat each other by.  

Finland may get a bit lucky if Belgium rest a few in the last game, even if it's only by not losing by as many.
  • If Russia don't get the second, it could bite them on the bum. If I was Finland I would see a draw as the whole outcome for them so risks have to be taken now. 
  • Bugger.  Forgot to update my Uefa fantasy football team for the 2nd round of games
  • Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

If Russia win today... Belgium beat Denmark (and Finland), yet Denmark beat Russia

And how much they beat each other by.  

Finland may get a bit lucky if Belgium rest a few in the last game, even if it's only by not losing by as many.
    Belgium beat Denmark and Finland 3-0 - Denmark beat Russia 1-0... :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Been some awful footballl in this tournament so far, hopefully it’ll improve after the group stages.
  • wow people moaning, i dont understand. Even that game started of pretty decent a couple of chances. The heat has been pretty telling in alot of games where teams have had to manage the game, sit back. 

Its still early doors really, its unlikely any of the main nations are going to go out in the groups so teams are just feeling their way in. 

Personally i am enjoying it, there have been a few crackers and a few solid /good performances. Its still far too early but has the potential to be a great tourney, although more likely after the groups imo, or even on the final games if there is something on it or teams need to score more to make sure. 

slow burner but trust me stick with, no need to judge it from game to game. 
  • To be honest I still really don't like the 24 team format - 2/3 of the tournament is a group stage that only knocks out 6 teams, and the 16 team format had more quality so better games more often.
  • To be honest I still really don't like the 24 team format - 2/3 of the tournament is a group stage that only knocks out 6 teams, and the 16 team format had more quality so better games more often.
    The trouble with 24 teams is that there isn't really a good format, it needs to be 16 or 32, but 32 would be far too many. 24 is too many for Europe but at least it gives the minnows like Finland, Albania and Scotland a chance to qualify.

• Been some awful footballl in this tournament so far, hopefully it’ll improve after the group stages.
    I must be watching a different tournament. 
    The trouble with 24 teams is that there isn't really a good format, it needs to be 16 or 32, but 32 would be far too many. 24 is too many for Europe but at least it gives the minnows like Finland, Albania and Scotland a chance to qualify.

Be curious to see how the 48-team format will work for the World Cup

The 48 team world cup will be worse, 16 3-team groups only knocking out one from each group.

Be curious to see how the 48-team format will work for the World Cup
    It's pretty open to abuse too, teams will be able to go into the last game in some cases knowing a certain result will see both teams though.
    Agreed, personally agree it should be 16 or 32 teams. Also the 4 best runners up just seems ridiculous, with 2 qualify, 2 eliminated teams are more likely to go for it and would in turn be better games.

Although personally i do think its been good so far and not boring. 

It’s not goal difference this tournament is it? If teams are equal points, then it’s straight to head 2 head games. Russia currently 2nd even though they have worse GD. 
  • Sponsored links:

• They had 3 team groups in 1982 second phase, but only one qualified. 32 is the ideal number for the World Cup.

It’s not goal difference this tournament is it? If teams are equal points, then it’s straight to head 2 head games. Russia currently 2nd even though they have worse GD. 
    But then if Denmark beat Russia how does head to head work...

Russia finish ahead of Finland, Finland finish ahead of Denmark, Denmark finish ahead of Russia
    I must be watching a different tournament. 
    To qualify that I don’t mean there hasn’t been any great football, just seems quite scrappy at times, or is it I just got too used to watching our games on Charlton Live 😆
  • edited June 2021
    Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

Russia finish ahead of Finland, Finland finish ahead of Denmark, Denmark finish ahead of Russia
    If Denmark beat Russia 1-0 and each team loses 3-0 to Belgium, then Euro qualifying rankings from the Nations League are used to determine who finishes where. 

In this case it would be 2. Russia (12th) 3. Denmark (15th) 4. Finland (20th)

The 48 team world cup will be worse, 16 3-team groups only knocking out one from each group.

If Denmark beat Russia 1-0 and each team loses 3-0 to Belgium, then Euro qualifying rankings from the Nations League are used to determine who finishes where. 

In this case it would be 2. Russia (12th) 3. Denmark (15th) 4. Finland (20th)
    Seriously? - What a shite way to decide it
  • Nice to see Australia playing in Wales place. 
  • Cracking game so far...
  • I feel like Wales will rue that miss. Ramsey St should have put that back across goal. 
  • Wales are putting that Italy performance into perspective. Turkey have no answer to any width.