Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Macauley Bonne would have been slaughtered for weeks on here for that Depay miss
    Not if was on the back of winning the league for Lyon and pending a move to Barcelona.

Poor from Depay, who believes he one of the great players in the world; he wasn't at Man United but being the main man at Lyon helped his massive ego and he had a fine season.
    Weghorst has a good record for Wolfsburg scoring 53 goals from 100 games over the last 3 seasons, but for some reason he felt he would put it on a plate for Depay instead of hitting a volley.

• edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    Feel so bad for Denmark. Could've had at least a point there if they weren't so wasteful.

They would've beaten Finland under normal circumstances I'm sure. Tough to take for them.

As @o@oohaahmortimer has said on here before, everything has to be paid for. It's horrible circumstances but they are perhaps paying the price for having the most fortunate major tournament win in history having only qualified in 1992 thanks to a civil war.
  • Alaba CB is one weird decision.
  • Lump on a Ukraine/Austria draw in a few days. Four points will see both teams through to the knockouts.
  • Austria could and possibly should have scored a couple now
  • Holland in a poor group. They’re very average.
  • Lump on a Ukraine/Austria draw in a few days. Four points will see both teams through to the knockouts.
    Austria have got form for that. WC 1982.
  • Netherlands win their group (head to head over Ukraine and Austria). They will play 3rd place from Group D/E/F in Budapest on 27 June.
  • edited June 2021
    Netherlands win their group (head to head over Ukraine and Austria). They will play 3rd place from Group D/E/F in Budapest on 27 June.
    That’s the problem. That’s liberties really and the old format was always hard to get out the group. We’ll get Portugal and they’ll get Slovakia (example I haven’t researched it). Shit luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Netherlands win their group (head to head over Ukraine and Austria). They will play 3rd place from Group D/E/F in Budapest on 27 June.
    That’s the problem. That’s liberties really and the old format was always hard to get out the group. We’ll get Portugal and they’ll get Slovakia (example I haven’t researched it). Shit luck.
    If they win that game, they play the winner of second place A v second place B.

So possibility of something like Slovakia -> Wales -> semi final.

We are in the same half of the draw if we win Group D so it could be beneficial to have a potentially "weaker" semi final opponent. but we'd have to do the business against the Group F runner up and probably Spain or Sweden in a quarter final.
  • I'm never a fan of trying to "rig" the results to try and get a more favorable draw, Id rather we play our best team and try to beat whoever it is in front of us rather than getting clever and playing with future games in mind - take it a game at a time.
  • The sun's pissed off and the temperature has dropped. All set up nicely for a proper British game. 
    I think England will surely play one of Shaw/Chilwell tonight, the rest of the team may be the same but who knows. 
    England to win by 3 is my prediction🙂
  • thenewbie said:
    I'm never a fan of trying to "rig" the results to try and get a more favorable draw, Id rather we play our best team and try to beat whoever it is in front of us rather than getting clever and playing with future games in mind - take it a game at a time.
    Let other teams worry about playing us, not us worrying about playing them 
  • thenewbie said:
    I'm never a fan of trying to "rig" the results to try and get a more favorable draw, Id rather we play our best team and try to beat whoever it is in front of us rather than getting clever and playing with future games in mind - take it a game at a time.
    Let other teams worry about playing us, not us worrying about playing them 
    Exactly. Plus every team is trying to get the best result it can throw the calculations all over the place anyway. Just beat whoever is in front of you and win it that way.
  • edited June 2021
    thenewbie said:
    I am with you, ultimately if we want to win the whole thing we shouldn't be trying to come second. I really hate that people want a favorable draw, i get it just i dont agree. 

Just keep winning, potentially the last 16 will be a toughie but win that and we will thrive, its a bit cut throat as we could be going home. 

So far there is not one team that i fear for England, France & Italy are good but if we turn up we can give them a bloody good game and have a chance. Not saying we are going to win the whole thing just one of those we can compete with anyone, with a bit of luck who knows? 

Starters lets win tonight, not a scrappy 1-0nil, be nice if we can win 3-0
  • Why is it nearly every team have played in a kit all of the same colour? Other than when Austria played their first game with different colour shirt & shorts.
    This annoys me a bit for some strange reason. England have blue shorts, Scotland have white shorts, Holland have white shorts, Sweden have blue shorts.......... It isn't just one country doing this, it is most of them!
  • One thing that seems to get missed in the whole "finish 2nd for an easier match" is that if we win the group the 2nd round game will be at Wembley rather than in Copenhagen.
  • Sponsored links:

• We got given a bye to the World Cup Final and fucked it up last time,  maybe it’s best to just go the hard route this time and see how good we really are .
  • edited June 2021
    This is true. But I think avoiding France, Germany or Portugal has a greater benefit for us seeing as we could get Sweden, Slovakia or Poland which I feel we would win 9 times out of 10 wherever we play. Having said that, it is impossible to plan to lose or draw. What I would say is if we beat Scotland tonight, then all of our best players should be rested for the Czech game and maybe that will do the job. if not they should be fresher for the tough last 16 match ahead. 

Out of interest, no quarter finals are at Wembley, but whatever the route the semi finals onwards are. If we came second, the last 16 game would be in Denmark and the quarter Final would be in Russia.
  • thenewbie said:
    I am with you, ultimately if we want to win the whole thing we shouldn't be trying to come second. I really hate that people want a favorable draw, i get it just i dont agree. 

Just keep winning, potentially the last 32 will be a toughie but win that and we will thrive, its a bit cut throat as we could be going home. 

So far there is not one team that i fear for England, France & Italy are good but if we turn up we can give them a bloody good game and have a chance. Not saying we are going to win the whole thing just one of those we can compete with anyone, with a bit of luck who knows? 

Starters lets win tonight, not a scrappy 1-0nil, be nice if we can win 3-0
    Almost impossible I'd say. Considering the tournament only started with 24  ;)
    you know what a i meant ;) 

lol oops
  • One thing that seems to get missed in the whole "finish 2nd for an easier match" is that if we win the group the 2nd round game will be at Wembley rather than in Copenhagen.
    A fair point but more importantly does anyone know which broadcaster gets which second round games? Given our ITV record it could be the most important factor.
  • FFS, just realised the game is on ITV tonight.  Not only do I need to watcha ritual slaughter, I need to hear fcuking Tyldesley describe it.  He will be absolutely unbearable.   
  • Tyldesley lost that gig to Sam Matterface last year. Clive was unhappy about that.
    Those of you who think CT is bad should have heard Alan Green on the radio, he was so full of his own opinions and was terrible.
    Always sounded as if his dentures were about to fall out. 

• Tyldesley lost that gig to Sam Matterface last year. Clive was unhappy about that.
    Those of you who think CT is bad should have heard Alan Green on the radio, he was so full of his own opinions and was terrible.
    Always sounded as if his dentures were about to fall out. 

Was he the Northern Irish chap?
  • Some news coming in from the Press Association that Uefa sources have refused to rule out moving the Euro 2020 semi-finals and final away from Wembley if overseas fans and VIPs cannot be exempted from strict quarantine rules. 

European football's governing body released a statement on Friday saying it was "confident" the final week would be held in London but pointed out "there is always a contingency plan". 

Budapest is understood to be the first option if the games were switched, with matches at the Puskas Arena currently being played at 100 per cent capacity.

"At the moment, we are in discussions with the local authorities to try to allow fans of the participating teams to attend the matches, using a strict testing and bubble concept that would mean their stay in the UK would be less than 24 hours and their movements would be restricted to approved transport and venues only," Uefa said