Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    They should just play in one place, behind closed doors, like they did with the Champions League knockout last year.

A shame but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Very mixed messages about this. Have we offered to host it or not? Do UEFA want us to host it or not?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-stadiums-standby-euro-2020-23596758
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Very mixed messages about this. Have we offered to host it or not? Do UEFA want us to host it or not?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-stadiums-standby-euro-2020-23596758
    No 10 sees it as a bit of Good News - Brits to the rescue - any sort of distraction from the monumentally corrupt clusterfuck of almost all of the last 12 months, bar the vaccine rollout, get his gurning boat on the front and back pages being gung-ho and positive.  Has the FA got much of an idea?  Obviously not but they'll be roused from their intoxicated slumber by the whiff of extra revenue.  Would UEFA like the idea of UK plc coming to the rescue?  Absofuckinglutely not, they hate us with a rare passion, them and FIFA.
    Is it a good idea? Not if they're gonna let any jonny foreigner football hooligans come over here with their dirty infected virus drenched carcasses.
    If we nice clean vaccinated civilised Brits can get to see international football in quarter filled stadia, I'm all for it.  Those dirty foreigner billionaire footballers can spend several fortunes in our hotels through the duration of the tournament - they won't be allowed out of course cos they're all pestilent, then they can all eff off back to their tax havens afterwards.

Short answer; ain't happening.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

No 10 sees it as a bit of Good News - Brits to the rescue - any sort of distraction from the monumentally corrupt clusterfuck of almost all of the last 12 months, bar the vaccine rollout, get his gurning boat on the front and back pages being gung-ho and positive.  Has the FA got much of an idea?  Obviously not but they'll be roused from their intoxicated slumber by the whiff of extra revenue.  Would UEFA like the idea of UK plc coming to the rescue?  Absofuckinglutely not, they hate us with a rare passion, them and FIFA.
    Is it a good idea? Not if they're gonna let any jonny foreigner football hooligans come over here with their dirty infected virus drenched carcasses.
    If we nice clean vaccinated civilised Brits can get to see international football in quarter filled stadia, I'm all for it.  Those dirty foreigner billionaire footballers can spend several fortunes in our hotels through the duration of the tournament - they won't be allowed out of course cos they're all pestilent, then they can all eff off back to their tax havens afterwards.

Short answer; ain't happening.
    Eh?!
  • Options
    Rumours that 10 English stadiums are on standby to possibly host games if it happens here

Wembley, Old Trafford, Villa Park, St James' Park, Etihad, Stadium of Light, Anfield, London Stadium,  Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and the Emirates
  • Options
    Rumours that 10 English stadiums are on standby to possibly host games if it happens here

Wembley, Old Trafford, Villa Park, St James' Park, Etihad, Stadium of Light, Anfield, London Stadium,  Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and the Emirates
    Saw that online yesterday.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120

Feels like things might be coming to a head now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Host Nations have had to state what the fan arrangements are going to be...

Seems London is now hosting a Round of 16 game after Brussels pulled out as a venue which will be the Winner of Group A (Italy, Turkey, Wales, Switzerland) versus the Runner Up of Group C (Netherlands, Austria, Ukraine, North Macedonia)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56667738
  • Options

Seems London is now hosting a Round of 16 game after Brussels pulled out as a venue which will be the Winner of Group A (Italy, Turkey, Wales, Switzerland) versus the Runner Up of Group C (Netherlands, Austria, Ukraine, North Macedonia)

Brussels was removed in 2017.

Its possible that Dublin may lose their four matches with the Spurs stadium being mooted as a replacement.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56667738.amp
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Brussels was removed in 2017.

Its possible that Dublin may lose their four matches with the Spurs stadium being mooted as a replacement.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56667738.amp
    At this rate London will be hosting the whole tournament
    Probably should have been the sensible decision for a while now to hold it in one place

But this is UEFA we're talking about
  • Options
    Hoping if we end up with a lot of/all of the games that it doesn't count against us if we want to host the Euros in the near future.
  • Options
    We are the most vaccinated, hold the tournament in England so we can get fans in. 3 North West grounds, 3 North East Grounds, 6 South ones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know how many tickets have already been shifted for the England games? 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Anyone know how many tickets have already been shifted for the England games? 

Tickets available through the England Fans supporters club were well oversubscribed when sold in late 2019/early 2020. I think we got an allocation of 20k for the Wembley group games. We were allocated about 5k or 7k for the round of 16 and quarters, if we get there, because they were away (probably Dublin and Copenhagen). Think the allocation for the semis and final at Wembley was less; 15k may be? Obviously oversubscribed. The remainder of the tickets went to the "football community" and other countries supporters. I would imagine that a majority of the tickets that were sold to the "football community" for England games will already be in England fans hands. But I'm sure that a number will have been sold to people in other countries that won't now be able to travel to England.

Rumours circulating that the attendance to the first two group games will be limited to 25k. Assume that these will all be allocated to those who already have a ticket. The third game against the Czech republic is after the june date for "lifting" restrictions so could theoretically be full house. I'm not sure how many Czechs can travel over, and of course there will be neutrals from other countries who have tickets who can't travel. So there may be some spare tickets for this match.

The round of 16 and quarters may be switched to Wembley if the original hosts can no longer accommodate. so if we reach that far and the games are played in front of a full house or 50% capacity there could be a lot of spare tickets available....

As regards the semi and final, if we get there, reckon a number of tickets sold to the football "community" and to the oppo fans could be available for the reasons given above.

Sorry for the long rambling answer, full of "maybes". And of course UEFA are a byword for corruption and ineptitude, so feck knows what will happen....

• Options
    i have tickets to the 3 group games at Wembley and conditional tickets to the semi and final dependant on England making it. 

hearing different rumours over what could happen - so until anything official they can stay as rumours. 
  • Options
    i have tickets to the 3 group games at Wembley and conditional tickets to the semi and final dependant on England making it. 

hearing different rumours over what could happen - so until anything official they can stay as rumours. 
    Same as me. Ticket update email from UEFA due later today, and England Travel Club update email due on Monday. Hopefully give us a bit of an idea of how it's all gonna pan out.
  • Options
    Will they be serving beers. Fuck the football 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It’s such a mess. Have tickets to a match in Romania (not a big match, Austria v N.Macedonia) and I think it’s likely that I’ll just ask for a refund. The Romanian’s have confirmed they’ll allow 25% into the stadium in Bucharest, so presumably there will be a ballot amongst ticket holders to see who can get in. 

The whole thing is so complicated though because, aside from whether we actually still have tickets for the match after the ballot, you need to consider:

- are we even allowed into Romania?
    - if so, what measures (tests, mandatory quarantine  etc) do we need to comply with?
    - does the effect of those measures make it basically not worthwhile going? I.e insane additional cost, having to spend 10 days in quarantine etc
    - what are the restrictions once we’re in Romania? I.e are pubs/restaurants etc going to be properly open? 
    - what will the experience in the stadium be like?
    - what measures will we have to comply with when we get back to the UK? Obviously it’s not worth going if people coming back from Romania need to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days costing £2K

Given all of that, I think it makes sense to just get my money back and hope that I’ll be able to go to the matches I have tickets for in London & Glasgow. 

I get that it’s a difficult situation that they can’t have known when they planned the tournament, but UEFA have handled this dreadfully.