Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• They Bedsaddick said:

Good side but i'd have Grealish or Maddison in the Bellingham position. 
    They dont really play that position, Grealish plays wide. Maddison is more of a CAM. I actually really like that team, i'd trade Rice for Henderson if fit. 
    I'd trade Rashford for Grealish in that team
  • They Bedsaddick said:

Good side but i'd have Grealish or Maddison in the Bellingham position. 
    They dont really play that position, Grealish plays wide. Maddison is more of a CAM. I actually really like that team, i'd trade Rice for Henderson if fit. 
    I'd trade Rashford for Grealish in that team
    Would take Sterling for Rashford tbh and Foden for Grealish
  • se9addick said:
    It looks like some tickets have been notified/refunded already (e.g. the games at Hampden Park), so they are possibly working through the re-ballot venue-by-venue? I've seen mention that UEFA will have completed all re-ballots of tickets by end of next week at the latest (which is still ridiculously close to the start of the tournament).

Also, apparently they are refunding tickets at current exchange rates, meaning people are likely to get back less than they paid despite UEFA sitting on the interest for 2 years...!!
    If you bought using a UK credit/debit card won’t the exchange rate be calculated by your provider at the time of the transactions rather than UEFA themselves setting the exchange rate?
    Yes sorry I've not worded that clearly. What I meant was that some ticket holders have already had their tickets refunded, but a refund issued for e.g. 100 euros is worth less in pounds than it was at time of purchase in 2019.
    Bizarrely I appear to have got back slightly more than I paid.
  • Don't think Maguire will be fit.
  • horace said:
    Don't think Maguire will be fit.
    He’s expected back for Europa final which is 3 weeks before England’s first group game.
  • England ballot out for the group stage. Got offered tickets for all three group matches. 
  • England ballot out for the group stage. Got offered tickets for all three group matches. 
    Presume you've got a high number of caps? I'm right down at the bottom, so wasn't surprised to end up with nothing.
  • MrLargo said:
    England ballot out for the group stage. Got offered tickets for all three group matches. 
    Presume you've got a high number of caps? I'm right down at the bottom, so wasn't surprised to end up with nothing.
    Was in the top 1500 back in 2019. Planned to stop going as much and then pandemic happened. Very fortunate that still so high up. 
  • Got Scotland at CAT3, didn’t bother with the other two as I think it will be a pretty grim experience. Might do 2nd round if more fans allowed in and will do the semi/final if (don’t laugh) we make it.

It would be typical England to go and win it the years it’s all a bit crap and many people can’t go.
  • Got Scotland at CAT3, didn’t bother with the other two as I think it will be a pretty grim experience. Might do 2nd round if more fans allowed in and will do the semi/final if (don’t laugh) we make it.

It would be typical England to go and win it the years it’s all a bit crap and many people can’t go.
    Good going to get Scotland. UEFA had 2k Euros in the bank for 18 months from my group of 3 and we've ended up with nothing but was always likely looking at the allocation. First tournament without a game since 2010 for me.
  • Sponsored links:

Good going to get Scotland. UEFA had 2k Euros in the bank for 18 months from my group of 3 and we've ended up with nothing but was always likely looking at the allocation. First tournament without a game since 2010 for me.
    Are these tickets bought through the general ballot with Uefa? We’re still waiting on the results from ours 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Got Scotland at CAT3, didn’t bother with the other two as I think it will be a pretty grim experience. Might do 2nd round if more fans allowed in and will do the semi/final if (don’t laugh) we make it.

Are these tickets bought through the general ballot with Uefa? We’re still waiting on the results from ours 
    No, England Supporters Club.

I believe UEFA are doing their ballot results by venue and Wembley hasn't been done yet (or at least it hasn't been announced). Think they did Hampden last weekend.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Got Scotland at CAT3, didn’t bother with the other two as I think it will be a pretty grim experience. Might do 2nd round if more fans allowed in and will do the semi/final if (don’t laugh) we make it.

No, England Supporters Club.

I believe UEFA are doing their ballot results by venue and Wembley hasn't been done yet (or at least it hasn't been announced). Think they did Hampden last weekend.
    Nice one, ta. Hoping they do Wembley in the next week or so.
  • 34 caps and only got offered Czech cat 3 won’t bother will have a better time down the boozer with my mates 
  • I’ve not even had an email one way or the other. Gonna be fun trying to contact them 
  • They're leaving this all a bit late aren't they.  
  • Article this morning in the Athletic... infuriating, but not surprising!

Football fans hoping to attend the upcoming European Championship are frantically refreshing their emails this week to see if their tickets have been cancelled as stadiums around the continent are forced to reduce capacity because of the pandemic.

But at the same time as cancelling huge numbers of tickets for the delayed tournament, organiser UEFA is buying up social media adverts saying there is a guaranteed way anyone can attend matches: by spending thousands of euros on seats in hospitality boxes.

As tournament organisers grapple with one of the most complex sporting events in history, The Athletic can reveal:

- UEFA’s authorised agents are offering the chance to “guarantee your place” in hospitality seats at matches where many ordinary tickets have been cancelled.
    - Wembley Stadium is prioritising capacity in “high availability” corporate boxes over general public seats, with a ticket to all seven matches at England’s national stadium available for around £26,200.
    - Sponsors are giving away promotional tickets at the same time many fans’ tickets are being cancelled.
    - Some fans are losing money on tickets purchased before the pandemic owing to currency movements and bank charges.
    - Euro 2020 organisers initially planned to sell around three million tickets for the first tournament held all over the continent. 

Plans have changed frequently owing to the fluctuations of the pandemic, with Bilbao replaced as a host city by Seville last month and games planned to take place in Dublin moving to Wembley and Saint Petersburg. The capacity at the stadiums will vary between 25 per cent and 50 per cent, although a full house in Budapest is on the cards. Many fans who had secured tickets almost two years ago are therefore being told they have been cancelled and they will receive a refund.

This is a very difficult situation for UEFA, with most fans generally understanding of the fact that full-capacity crowds are not possible and acknowledging that organisers have a tough job. However, many of the same fans are also aggrieved with aspects of how the process is being handled.

At the same time as tournament organisers are telling supporters their tickets have been cancelled, Euro 2020-authorised agents have been buying up adverts on Facebook and Google advertising hospitality tickets starting at €1,500 + 20 per cent VAT (in total, about £1,550 each). These adverts started running on May 6 and were still active at the time of publication. The phrase “guarantee your place at Euro 2020” comes as a kick in the teeth to fans who thought they had already guaranteed their place before having tickets cancelled because of the pandemic.

The adverts lead to a website which shows “high availability” for tickets costing thousands of euros. Tickets for England vs Croatia at Wembley on June 13 start at €1,500 + VAT (£1,550), while tickets for the final on July 11 start at €5,200 + VAT (£5,370). A ticket to all seven Wembley matches in a “prestige platinum” suite will set you back €25,393 per person plus tax (£26,200).

For many of these expensive options, availability is listed as “high”, which is jarring to fans who have just been told there is no room for them because of COVID-19 restrictions — particularly the most loyal fans who have a long history of watching their country in major tournaments.

“We understand those allocations will need to be reduced because of the reduced capacities but we would still much rather those fans get the tickets,” says Matt Willis of Football Supporters Europe. “They should be in the hands of the right people who have put the time and effort in, not just who can afford them.”

The Athletic has also seen correspondence between UEFA and hospitality clients from April 16 that says “following the decision of the local authorities and UEFA Euro 2020 host, we are happy to confirm that the Official Hospitality programme in London will go ahead with 50 per cent capacity in the suites… suites can be operated at half their capacity”.

This may come as a surprise to fans given Wembley’s capacity for the group stages will be just 25 per cent overall, suggesting that the general public allocation is even lower than this to incorporate a higher proportion of hospitality customers.

Wembley hopes to have a larger capacity in later rounds after June 21 when COVID-19 restrictions in England are expected to be lifted again. But the virus transmits far more easily indoors, making hospitality boxes riskier than outdoor seats in terms of spreading the virus.

Tickets are also being advertised as part of sponsors’ promotional giveaways.

Sebastian Richards is a 27-year-old football fan based in Newcastle who bought tickets for three games at Hampden Park in Glasgow. 

He has not heard back yet about the two tickets he holds for group-stage matches but was told recently he will receive a refund for the round-of-16 match on June 29 to which he had two tickets. Jarringly, the next email in his inbox was from the takeaway company JustEat, saying “play to win UEFA Euro 2020 tickets”.

“Obviously, I understand they’re going to have to cancel tickets because of COVID-19,” Richards told The Athletic. “I just don’t think they should have so many sponsorship tickets when they’re cancelling (fans’) tickets.”

England-based Louise Thorn held a ticket for a group-stage match in Dublin that was moved to Saint Petersburg. The ticket has been refunded and she has been told she will receive “priority access” for the game, but it is not a feasible trip for her and her partner to make given that Russia is not currently on the UK’s “green list” of accessible countries and the trip would be far more expensive than crossing the Irish Sea.

“We felt quite unlucky that our game was moved somewhere where we have no chance of going,” she says, pointing out that the round-of-16 fixture that has been moved from Dublin to Wembley, which most original ticket-holders would find easier to attend.

After processing her refund, she went to the shop and saw bottles of Heineken on sale, which offered the opportunity to win Euro 2020 tickets. “It was very frustrating to see that companies were still giving away tickets free of charge,” she said.

Another complication is that fans’ tickets are all bought in euros, meaning supporters paying in another currency are subject to a foreign exchange transfer, which can involve losing money on exchange rates as well as expensive bank fees.

Many fans paying in pounds, Russian rubles or Czech koruna have been refunded less than they originally paid because of currency movements. Some, however, have been refunded more, depending on the exchange rate when they bought the tickets.

UEFA decided to fully refund supporters with “Follow My Team” tickets, which guarantee seats at a particular country’s three group matches plus any subsequent knockout games. A statement on the organisation’s website said: “The quota of Follow My Team tickets for the knockout stage matches will remain reserved for fans of the qualified teams, which may allow them to purchase tickets at a later stage should their team progress and travel restrictions permit them to reach the match venue at short notice.”

Mark Spring, a follower of England and Tottenham Hotspur home and away and a hospital consultant, handed over £4,000 to UEFA for Follow My Team tickets for him and his wife. The money sat in a UEFA bank account for two years before being returned to him last week. 

The initial payment and his refund both incurred a “non-sterling transaction fee”, which was imposed by his bank rather than UEFA. Some financial providers offer fee-free foreign exchange transactions, though this can be counterbalanced by poorer exchange rates.

“I didn’t realise you paid commission on refunds,” he told The Athletic. “They say it’s fairer if everyone has to cash all of theirs back in and start over again, but they haven’t taken into account that that has cost people money.”

After this disappointment, Spring had to wait to see if he would receive tickets for at least one England game at Wembley as they were reallocated. This week he heard he had been unsuccessful in the England Supporters Club ballot, which is run by the Football Association, for all three group fixtures. This means he may not see any games live at all despite having been to dozens of England games home and away in recent years, including most at Euro 2016 as well as at the World Cup in Russia.

“I have been bombarded by emails to buy hospitality,” he says. “I have deleted them. It’s a bit miserable.”
  • edited May 2021
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56905822

Euro 2020: Countries allowed to select 26-player squads

Teams will be allowed to select a 26-player squad instead of the usual 23 at this summer's European Championship.

The change has been implemented to lessen the load on players after a club season compressed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

It will also help managers adapt if outbreaks occur during the tournament.

The decision, taken by Uefa's national teams committee in April, was approved by Uefa's executive committee on Tuesday.

In a statement, it said the rules were approved "in order to guarantee the smooth running and continuity of the competition in light of the Covid-19 pandemic".

A rule allowing each team to make up to five substitutes per game had already been confirmed.

However, 23 players will remain the maximum number permitted on team sheets for matches.

The tournament, which had been scheduled to take place last summer, begins on 11 June. The deadline for submitting squads is 1 June.

England manager Gareth Southgate is expected to announce his squad during the week commencing 24 May.

Steve Clarke, the Scotland manager, had been expected to name a provisional squad in mid-May, but may now miss that step out before making his final selection at the end of the month.

Robert Page will have the job of picking the Wales squad, after confirmation that he will take charge of the team for the tournament.

• ads said:
    They're leaving this all a bit late aren't they.  
    Very difficult situation especially with it changing constantly. I'm all for giving UEFA a kicking but must be a nightmare to deal with this.
  • Ibrahminovic is out injured for the rest of the season and is now going to miss the Euros

Might as well retire from International Football again
  • Sponsored links:

• Article this morning in the Athletic... infuriating, but not surprising!

Football fans hoping to attend the upcoming European Championship are frantically refreshing their emails this week to see if their tickets have been cancelled as stadiums around the continent are forced to reduce capacity because of the pandemic.

But at the same time as cancelling huge numbers of tickets for the delayed tournament, organiser UEFA is buying up social media adverts saying there is a guaranteed way anyone can attend matches: by spending thousands of euros on seats in hospitality boxes.

As tournament organisers grapple with one of the most complex sporting events in history, The Athletic can reveal:

- UEFA’s authorised agents are offering the chance to “guarantee your place” in hospitality seats at matches where many ordinary tickets have been cancelled.
    - Wembley Stadium is prioritising capacity in “high availability” corporate boxes over general public seats, with a ticket to all seven matches at England’s national stadium available for around £26,200.
    - Sponsors are giving away promotional tickets at the same time many fans’ tickets are being cancelled.
    - Some fans are losing money on tickets purchased before the pandemic owing to currency movements and bank charges.
    - Euro 2020 organisers initially planned to sell around three million tickets for the first tournament held all over the continent. 

Plans have changed frequently owing to the fluctuations of the pandemic, with Bilbao replaced as a host city by Seville last month and games planned to take place in Dublin moving to Wembley and Saint Petersburg. The capacity at the stadiums will vary between 25 per cent and 50 per cent, although a full house in Budapest is on the cards. Many fans who had secured tickets almost two years ago are therefore being told they have been cancelled and they will receive a refund.

This is a very difficult situation for UEFA, with most fans generally understanding of the fact that full-capacity crowds are not possible and acknowledging that organisers have a tough job. However, many of the same fans are also aggrieved with aspects of how the process is being handled.

At the same time as tournament organisers are telling supporters their tickets have been cancelled, Euro 2020-authorised agents have been buying up adverts on Facebook and Google advertising hospitality tickets starting at €1,500 + 20 per cent VAT (in total, about £1,550 each). These adverts started running on May 6 and were still active at the time of publication. The phrase “guarantee your place at Euro 2020” comes as a kick in the teeth to fans who thought they had already guaranteed their place before having tickets cancelled because of the pandemic.

The adverts lead to a website which shows “high availability” for tickets costing thousands of euros. Tickets for England vs Croatia at Wembley on June 13 start at €1,500 + VAT (£1,550), while tickets for the final on July 11 start at €5,200 + VAT (£5,370). A ticket to all seven Wembley matches in a “prestige platinum” suite will set you back €25,393 per person plus tax (£26,200).

For many of these expensive options, availability is listed as “high”, which is jarring to fans who have just been told there is no room for them because of COVID-19 restrictions — particularly the most loyal fans who have a long history of watching their country in major tournaments.

“We understand those allocations will need to be reduced because of the reduced capacities but we would still much rather those fans get the tickets,” says Matt Willis of Football Supporters Europe. “They should be in the hands of the right people who have put the time and effort in, not just who can afford them.”

The Athletic has also seen correspondence between UEFA and hospitality clients from April 16 that says “following the decision of the local authorities and UEFA Euro 2020 host, we are happy to confirm that the Official Hospitality programme in London will go ahead with 50 per cent capacity in the suites… suites can be operated at half their capacity”.

This may come as a surprise to fans given Wembley’s capacity for the group stages will be just 25 per cent overall, suggesting that the general public allocation is even lower than this to incorporate a higher proportion of hospitality customers.

Wembley hopes to have a larger capacity in later rounds after June 21 when COVID-19 restrictions in England are expected to be lifted again. But the virus transmits far more easily indoors, making hospitality boxes riskier than outdoor seats in terms of spreading the virus.

Tickets are also being advertised as part of sponsors’ promotional giveaways.

Sebastian Richards is a 27-year-old football fan based in Newcastle who bought tickets for three games at Hampden Park in Glasgow. 

He has not heard back yet about the two tickets he holds for group-stage matches but was told recently he will receive a refund for the round-of-16 match on June 29 to which he had two tickets. Jarringly, the next email in his inbox was from the takeaway company JustEat, saying “play to win UEFA Euro 2020 tickets”.

“Obviously, I understand they’re going to have to cancel tickets because of COVID-19,” Richards told The Athletic. “I just don’t think they should have so many sponsorship tickets when they’re cancelling (fans’) tickets.”

England-based Louise Thorn held a ticket for a group-stage match in Dublin that was moved to Saint Petersburg. The ticket has been refunded and she has been told she will receive “priority access” for the game, but it is not a feasible trip for her and her partner to make given that Russia is not currently on the UK’s “green list” of accessible countries and the trip would be far more expensive than crossing the Irish Sea.

“We felt quite unlucky that our game was moved somewhere where we have no chance of going,” she says, pointing out that the round-of-16 fixture that has been moved from Dublin to Wembley, which most original ticket-holders would find easier to attend.

After processing her refund, she went to the shop and saw bottles of Heineken on sale, which offered the opportunity to win Euro 2020 tickets. “It was very frustrating to see that companies were still giving away tickets free of charge,” she said.

Another complication is that fans’ tickets are all bought in euros, meaning supporters paying in another currency are subject to a foreign exchange transfer, which can involve losing money on exchange rates as well as expensive bank fees.

Many fans paying in pounds, Russian rubles or Czech koruna have been refunded less than they originally paid because of currency movements. Some, however, have been refunded more, depending on the exchange rate when they bought the tickets.

UEFA decided to fully refund supporters with “Follow My Team” tickets, which guarantee seats at a particular country’s three group matches plus any subsequent knockout games. A statement on the organisation’s website said: “The quota of Follow My Team tickets for the knockout stage matches will remain reserved for fans of the qualified teams, which may allow them to purchase tickets at a later stage should their team progress and travel restrictions permit them to reach the match venue at short notice.”

Mark Spring, a follower of England and Tottenham Hotspur home and away and a hospital consultant, handed over £4,000 to UEFA for Follow My Team tickets for him and his wife. The money sat in a UEFA bank account for two years before being returned to him last week. 

The initial payment and his refund both incurred a “non-sterling transaction fee”, which was imposed by his bank rather than UEFA. Some financial providers offer fee-free foreign exchange transactions, though this can be counterbalanced by poorer exchange rates.

“I didn’t realise you paid commission on refunds,” he told The Athletic. “They say it’s fairer if everyone has to cash all of theirs back in and start over again, but they haven’t taken into account that that has cost people money.”

After this disappointment, Spring had to wait to see if he would receive tickets for at least one England game at Wembley as they were reallocated. This week he heard he had been unsuccessful in the England Supporters Club ballot, which is run by the Football Association, for all three group fixtures. This means he may not see any games live at all despite having been to dozens of England games home and away in recent years, including most at Euro 2016 as well as at the World Cup in Russia.

“I have been bombarded by emails to buy hospitality,” he says. “I have deleted them. It’s a bit miserable.”
    Christ - that’s. Grapevine esq post. 
  • edited May 2021
    Its as people said... UEFA and SKY etc. probably werent bothered about the Super League happening because it was happening. What they didnt like was the fact that they were going to be the biggest hit in terms of their pockets, their original deals with the Premier League and the Champions League would become worthless overnight.

If they truly cared about the fans we wouldnt be needing to have threads bemoaning the fact that fans are being shafted in favour of the Football Family for the Euros, or being robbed with SKY Subscriptions going up unless you want to play games with their call handlers!!

SKY showed their colours recently with the Man Utd v Liverpool games.

The fans have proved their worth in terms of protesting against the Super League, they've protected SKY's product for them... Now that the fear of the Super League has gone they can effectively go back to calling Football Fans disruptive and hooligans
  • edited May 2021
    Scotland have been allocated 2600 
    england 3086 

so your talking just over 5000 fans out of 22,000 joke and the sneaky cnuts have got rid of the cat 4 tickets which I had the 1st Time round. 
    Chelsea and Leicester recieved 6250 each for today - so yep uefa proving once again how bigger wankers they are and the fa don’t get out of this as a decent mob they could of put there foot down and demanded we get more tickets, and not give them to just eat and Heineken to give away as prizes, can already buy lots of hospitality tickets and it’s all so wrong 
  • 22,000 allowed to fa cup today - Uefa deserve all the pelters they get when fans like me have been shafted which we have royally - they could have every England member there but there deciding not to because the “ football family “ need to be there wait till we see how many celebs are at the games - so yeah uefa can go fuck themselves and people were losing there shit over the super league tbere the biggest crooks of the lot kept a ton of money in an account for 18 months - the England supporters club should also do a bit more.
    The only way to change it is to protest. It worked against the Super League. Fans who had tickets need to go to the stadium on the day of the match and do what's necessary to delay / postpone the match. It's the only way that they'll 'care.'
  • Got my tickets for England Croatia confirmed, delighted of course but bitter sweet as missed out on the Scotland game which I was really pumped for. 

Desperate to find out from UEFA about the 'Dublin' game that is now being moved to Wembley, rumours we will find out this week on that one. 

Hoping to get at least one of the games at the Riverside in a fortnight for the final warm up games.

Anyone else had any luck with tickets? 
  • Got my tickets for England Croatia confirmed, delighted of course but bitter sweet as missed out on the Scotland game which I was really pumped for. 

Desperate to find out from UEFA about the 'Dublin' game that is now being moved to Wembley, rumours we will find out this week on that one. 

Hoping to get at least one of the games at the Riverside in a fortnight for the final warm up games.

Meant to have England Scotland and a couple of Wembley games, it just says ticket allocated on the portal, but its been saying that for ages so God knows

I think they said people who had tickets for the Dublin game that’s being moved to Wembley would get priority for a ticket to the re-arranged match. Will be interested to see how that’s handled.