Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player Watch: Scott Wagstaff

edited January 2013 in General Charlton
Scott Wagstaff was my pick today, he seems like a good player to choose because there is a lot of talk about whether he should get a chance to play, and today he got his chance.

Scott Wagstaff, a brief background

Scott Wagstaff started his youth career at Charlton, when he was spotted at the age of 8 at a Charlton Course, one which I most likely attended by the by!

He then was given a contract by Curbishley just before his 18th birthday, a contract which he had earned off the back of captaining Charlton U18 to the FA Youth Cup quarter finals. He was part of a very successful era of the youth academy which also produced Jonjo Shelvey and Chris Solly.

Wagstaff was a regular in the 2009/10 season when Charlton were first relegated to League One. He started in 9 games and came on as a sub in 24, scoring 4 goals in that time. This earned him a regular place in the team in the 2010-11 season, he made 40 league appearances, 35 of them being starts, in which he bagged 8 goals. The 2011/12 season, Charlton's final one in League One saw Wagstaff make 33 appearances, only 19 of them starts as he began having to battle more and more for his position against the likes of Danny Green.

By the end of the season (or in reality long before it) Charlton had won promotion to the Championship, and Wagstaff was spending more and more time warming the bench rather than getting game time. Charlton fans were regularly having the "Wagstaff vs Green" debate and it really divided fans, but in the end it was seeming to look like Green was winning the battle, Wagstaff was beginning to appear slightly surplus to requirements.

In the 2012/13 season Wagstaff hadn't made a single appearance for Charlton before today. He had been sent on loan to Leyton Orient, and made 6 appearances, scoring himself a goal. Many Charlton fans were beginning to wonder if Wagstaff's time at the club was coming to an end.

A string of performances by Danny Green which could be described as below the required standard led to Pritchard often playing on the right hand side, but fresh and wanting to make a good impression, Scott Wagstaff got his call up for the start today.

Wagstaff vs Blackpool

Wagstaff started this game probably knowing more than anyone how important it was that he made a very good impression and he started right from the off. He started on the left wing whereas he usually plays on the right.

He regularly charged down players, in a style that reminded me of Danny Haynes, a tactic which has in the past rewarded Wagstaff with a goal in League One.

He was often looking to receive the ball in good positions, and was looking positive straight away.

His first real stand out moment was in the 22nd minute, he played a ball out to the wing fantastically, which was whipped in but cleared by the Blackpool defence, Wagstaff, ever alert managed to make an interception straight off the clearance, and played the ball forward beautifully which led to Jackson scoring.

Just a few minutes later with the crowd still cheering Jackson's goal, in the 25th minute he was played through beautifully through A Kermorgant/Pritchard combination and was arguably hacked down just outside the box and possibly through on goal. No free kick given and the game went on.

Wagstaff gained in confidence from the way he had been playing so far, often pushing to be the furthest player forward, clearly looking to get involved as much as possible.

In the 29th minute he received the ball while the team was going forward about 40 yards out but lacked support while the team was trying to catch up. He made a brilliant cross pitch run enabling the team to catch up and get ahead, he played the ball out to Solly who put a ball in but came to nothing

In the 43rd minute he received loud applause as he was constantly running from player to player trying to take the ball. He kept forcing the opposition to make errors, or prevent them making passes they would prefer. He was constantly closing down the angle.

In injury time in the first half he was rewarded with a goal. Chris Solly moved forward beautifully, gave the ball to Wilson who put in a fantastic cross which Yann Kermorgant really went for, the keeper managed to parry the strong header away, but only as far as Wagstaff who mantained great composure to bury it. (I've seen them missed) Cue "there's only one Scotty Wagstaff" from the covered end.

Wagstaff's second half was definitely more quiet than his first, he was still attempting to close players down and made some great runs but in reality Charlton were looking to slow the game down. In the 74th minute he was substituted but received a standing applause.

For the game, I would give Scott Wagstaff a 7.5/10

As a Charlton player, Scott Wagstaff has been a product of the youth, and he seems to love playing for the team when he is on the pitch. His reaction when he scored was fabulous. As a Charlton player I would also give him a 7.5/10

Very few could argue that he really went for it today, but what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Nice piece Huskaris.
    I have criticised Waggy but today he got his chance and showed exactly why he has more to offer than Kerkar and Cook and Green. 100% effort and commitment and has an eye for a goal. Really pleased for him.
  • Options

Nice piece Huskaris.
    I have criticised Waggy but today he got his chance and showed exactly why he has more to offer than Kerkar and Cook and Green. 100% effort and commitment and has an eye for a goal. Really pleased for him.

Thanks a lot, I try and put aside all my previous views of the player and do it from a biased platform, that doesn't mean I can't change that down here though!!!

I definitely think he has shown today that maybe he can do a job on the left, he in my opinion is better than Kerkar as an all round player.
  • Options
    Never been a fan, but thought he done well today. Why didnt he play last week against Huddersfield??
  • Options
    Today he ran & ran & I was pleased for him, hope he gets more chances & turns in performances like that. Also he will always get goals.

In my humble opinion far better than Kerkar.
  • Options
    This guy runs himself into the ground every time he plays. Can't believe he only got his first game of the season today. His tracking back and hounding was brilliant.
  • Options
    Energy, enthusiasm and an uncanny knack of scoring goals - what's not to like?

Pleased for him today.
  • Options
    Motm? Yann or pritch only contenders to him IMO. Cracking performance from waggy
  • Options
    Never motm thought he was very average. Wilson and jacko were far better
  • Options
    Thought his energy and pace combined with Wilson and Pritchard complemented Dale and Jackson well for the harassing 5 in midfield. Also thought he kept possession much better today. I'd have sold him, but proved his worth in today's system, so well done to him.
  • Options
    Wilson?!?!? I'm sorry but no chance he had a better game than waggy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always liked Waggy and think he done very well today
  • Options
    Pleased for Waggy, got his chance and showed his worth. Will be interesting to see what role he has to play for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Well taken goal
  • Options
    Really pleased for him today. Loads of energy, fair but of skill. Big hand in the first goal and a cool finish. Not man of the match but definately enough to be selected ahead of Kerkar, Green and Cook.
  • Options
    I think Waggys job in the 1st half was to man mark Ince which he did very well, hope he keeps his place for the next couple of games.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

no matter how many question marks you put i still said wilson
  • Options
    Mike said:

mrbligh said:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Everyone has their opinion
  • Options
    Mike said:

mrbligh said:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Everyone has their opinion
  • Options
    The player marks tend to agree with mine
  • Options
    If I can be perfectly honest, when I saw Waggy was playing left mid at the start of the game I thought what on earth is Chris Powell doing?

How wrong I was, the lad had a blinder, worked his socks and nuts off, bringing much needed energy and enthusiasm to our midfield, if Waggy was in the last chance saloon today, then he certainly came out swinging.

Broke a move up for the first Charlton goal, and everyone could see what that goal meant to him, well played Scott.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waggy transformed the team from the drab, sterile performances against Ipswich and Huddersfield into a vibrant and fully committed showing today. His chasing down of every ball and pressuring of the opposition in possession created forward momentum and created openings. His enthusiasm is infectious and permeates throughout the team. Bearing in mind he was playing out of position on the left and that he hasn't played all season, it was a superb effort from him. He'd be a fixture in my team, with Pritchard and Wilson he gives us great energy, energy that has been very lacking in the midfield this season.
  • Options
    If I were Chris Powell I would ask Green, Cook, and Kerkar what they thought of Waggys workrate, desire and will to win today, and whether thay think they can match it.
  • Options
    Really pleased for him great amount of energy and commitment good to see him get on the scoresheet.we have been missing someone who can put himself about like waggy .certainly livened the side up.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So pleased for Waggy!

Played a vital part in making the team tick today. Love his sheer enthusiasm and willingness to
    make the extra run and close down defenders - defending from the front, Curbs called it.

As others have said above - along with Pritch and Wilse, really gives the midfield an engine.
  • Options
    Well done, Huskaris .......loved your 'Pritch Watch' as well.

Keep up the good work. Who's next?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Well done, Huskaris .......loved your 'Pritch Watch' as well.

Keep up the good work. Who's next?

Ah thanks that really does mean a lot to me. I really want people to enjoy these :-).

I tend to look at the lineup on the day, if there's a player that doesn't often get a game I pick them (hence wagstaff). It would have probably been kermorgant today otherwise. Probably a non midfielder next week
  • Options
    Good article Huskaris.
  • Options
    Nice work Huskaris, would be interesting to see what Player Watch made of Stephens, who seems to be a bit of a polarising player amongst the fans. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Great piece Huskaris.

Echoes my own thoughts.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Never been a fan, but thought he done well today. Why didnt he play last week against Huddersfield??

I reckon Chris Powell is asking himself that very same question this evening.