Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player Watch: Scott Wagstaff

Comments

• Options
    Nice guy, great engine, utterly cack at football.
  • Options

But playing at championship level?
  • Options
    Haha seeing this thread again has made me feel like starting player watch all over again seeing as we have so many new faces!

A player watch of a Roland Duchatalet purchase:

Minute 4: own goal - but the crowd applaud the fact that we lasted 4 minutes without conceding.

Minute 15: had a strop and started shouting at own players

Minute 40: receives a note offering a £50 bonus if they don't concede another goal, out of the managers own pocket

Minute 61: knackered, better suited to over 50s walking football, then again he has only played 1 game in the past 6 years and that was in the fa cup against Havant and Waterlooville

Minute 72: subbed off along with 2 other defenders for 3 more strikers on the pitch with a combined age of 38, each with a "for sale" sign on their back where their names should be.

The futures bright.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Haha seeing this thread again has made me feel like starting player watch all over again seeing as we have so many new faces!

A player watch of a Roland Duchatalet purchase:

Minute 4: own goal - but the crowd applaud the fact that we lasted 4 minutes without conceding.

Minute 15: had a strop and started shouting at own players

Minute 40: receives a note offering a £50 bonus if they don't concede another goal, out of the managers own pocket

Minute 61: knackered, better suited to over 50s walking football, then again he has only played 1 game in the past 6 years and that was in the fa cup against Havant and Waterlooville

Minute 72: subbed off along with 2 other defenders for 3 more strikers on the pitch with a combined age of 38, each with a "for sale" sign on their back where their names should be.

The futures bright.

You forgot the 23rd minute booking after being easily outpaced by a complete donkey.
  • Options

That doesn't really mean a lot, plus he's made a total of 2 appearances this season.

Personally found him to be an extremely limited player, but agree that you couldn't fault his attitude.
  • Options

That doesn't really mean a lot, plus he's made a total of 2 appearances this season.

Personally found him to be an extremely limited player, but agree that you couldn't fault his attitude.
    You said "utterly cack" but he is playing at Championship level.
  • Options

You said "utterly cack" but he is playing at Championship level.

What's your Lepoint?
  • Options
    Remember Wagstaff in his last game for us... Came on as a substitute in the last game of the season and worked his guts out to try and score on his last appearance, likewise would have him back in a heartbeat
  • Options
    I should add that Scott, somehow, scored one of my favourite all-time Valley goals. So maybe I'm a being a tad harsh by calling him 'utterly cack'. 'A bit cack' would have sufficed.

http://youtu.be/GuxOdwCJ39Y

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about when the opposition had a free kick, they rolled it 2 metres for someone to strike at goal, Waggy ran 10 metres got there first. That was brilliant! I've got a really poor quality video of it.
  • Options
    Ha ha, as soon as I saw this thread resurrected, I knew Henry would be commenting.

I'm now totally convinced Wagstaff is his 'lovechild'!
  • Options
    Top Lad. Understands the club.
  • Options
    A lot of his teammates here said he was the worst dressed player at the club. At one POTY it looked like he was wearing a school uniform.
  • Options

He isn't really. Only two appearances in the Championship this season. A good friend of mine is a Bristol City fan and he says the same things we all did, good guy, 100% attitude, but lacking in quality.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

We could certainly use some of his attitude right now.

I'm looking at you Vaz Te and Gudmundson

We could really do with Billy Bonds' attitude right now, but that doesn't mean we should re-sign him
  • Options
    Proper bloke, proper Charlton, and that is why the regime wouldn't have him anywhere near CAFC.
    I hope things always go well for him.
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting we re-sign Wagstaff although I was fed-up when he was released instead of Danny Green. Just commenting on the lousy attitude of some of our current players. But that's what we get when the players are selected by a couple of Belgian laptop wankers sifting through YouTube football compilations all day.
  • Options
    arthur said:

What about when the opposition had a free kick, they rolled it 2 metres for someone to strike at goal, Waggy ran 10 metres got there first. That was brilliant! I've got a really poor quality video of it.

Hah, I remember that match well - and I've often thought that moment summed Waggy up perfectly: he'd put in effort galore and was a real asset to the team. I've never been too sure why he has been such a marmite player; and unlike Green he didn't seem to actually regress during his time here.

If I recall correctly that match was MK Dons at Home in the 2011/2012 championship winning season, where Jacko scored two penalties to help us win 2-1 and I think Kermo got someone sent off as he enraged some bloke to the point he attempted to strangle him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A lot of his teammates here said he was the worst dressed player at the club. At one POTY it looked like he was wearing a school uniform.

Proper Charlton
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

arthur said:

Hah, I remember that match well - and I've often thought that moment summed Waggy up perfectly: he'd put in effort galore and was a real asset to the team. I've never been too sure why he has been such a marmite player; and unlike Green he didn't seem to actually regress during his time here.

If I recall correctly that match was MK Dons at Home in the 2011/2012 championship winning season, where Jacko scored two penalties to help us win 2-1 and I think Kermo got someone sent off as he enraged some bloke to the point he attempted to strangle him.
    That was James Beattie doing the strangling
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Ha ha, as soon as I saw this thread resurrected, I knew Henry would be commenting.

I'm now totally convinced Wagstaff is his 'lovechild'!

How would you describe Zac Ansah, Al ? Just his Agent ?
  • Options
    Yeah but Danny Green was better

:)
  • Options
    Carter said:

LuckyReds said:

arthur said:

That was James Beattie doing the strangling
    Mackenzie got sent off that game, believe it was for an elbow rather than strangling. James Beattie got sent off for Sheff U perhaps at the end of the 1 Jacko game.
  • Options
    Waggy had a touch of the Rommedahls about him where he could come off the bench and have an absolute stormer and you'd wonder why he didn't start every week, but then when he did start he might have one of his quiet days where the game completely passed him by. He really struggled for consistency and when he was bad he was totally anonymous. One of his best periods was when we were really struggling in the Championship and Powell threw him in at left midfield as a last resort and he got us some really important goals. I liked him and I liked having someone at the club who cared so much about Charlton. I think if he did come back though we'd get more of the same and he still wouldn't win over the whole fanbase
  • Options

Waggy had a touch of the Rommedahls about him where he could come off the bench and have an absolute stormer and you'd wonder why he didn't start every week, but then when he did start he might have one of his quiet days where the game completely passed him by. He really struggled for consistency and when he was bad he was totally anonymous. One of his best periods was when we were really struggling in the Championship and Powell threw him in at left midfield as a last resort and he got us some really important goals. I liked him and I liked having someone at the club who cared so much about Charlton. I think if he did come back though we'd get more of the same and he still wouldn't win over the whole fanbase

Basically he's an older version of Callum Harriott yet a bit slower... I think the issue is Wagstaff's position, all wingers tend to drift in and out of matches and appear to struggle for consistency.

Johann Gudmundsson / Frederic Bulot / Callum Harriott / Lloyd Sam / Danny Green / Scott Wagstaff / Dennis Rommedahl / John Robinson to name a few who have played for us in recent years, all of them good players none of them have had truly stand out performers week in week out
  • Options
    I miss him, I'd have had him over Danny Green any day of the week!