Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player Watch: Scott Wagstaff

1235»

Comments

• Options

Waggy had a touch of the Rommedahls about him where he could come off the bench and have an absolute stormer and you'd wonder why he didn't start every week, but then when he did start he might have one of his quiet days where the game completely passed him by. He really struggled for consistency and when he was bad he was totally anonymous. One of his best periods was when we were really struggling in the Championship and Powell threw him in at left midfield as a last resort and he got us some really important goals. I liked him and I liked having someone at the club who cared so much about Charlton. I think if he did come back though we'd get more of the same and he still wouldn't win over the whole fanbase

Curbs once said of Rommedahl that he always had a good half (of a game) in him, the problem was knowing which half!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Waggy had a touch of the Rommedahls about him where he could come off the bench and have an absolute stormer and you'd wonder why he didn't start every week, but then when he did start he might have one of his quiet days where the game completely passed him by. He really struggled for consistency and when he was bad he was totally anonymous. One of his best periods was when we were really struggling in the Championship and Powell threw him in at left midfield as a last resort and he got us some really important goals. I liked him and I liked having someone at the club who cared so much about Charlton. I think if he did come back though we'd get more of the same and he still wouldn't win over the whole fanbase

Curbs once said of Rommedahl that he always had a good half (of a game) in him, the problem was knowing which half!
    Spoke to Killer about Rommedahl when the Dane was playing for us. He said the problem with Dennis is that he shut his eyes whenever he had a shot at goal.
  • Options
    Well it seemed to work in the last minute at Selhurst.
  • Options

Top Lad. Understands the club.

He wouldn't recognise the club.
  • Options
    Sorry folks but just running around a lot does not make a player and as he is being paid to be a Footballer 100% effort should (although it doesn't apply to the current bunch) be a given. Waggy was never going to be good enough for The Championship and apparently still isn't. Jeez they say nostalgia isn't what it used to be but this is crazy.

next you'll be getting misty eyed over David Button and Simon Church then we know the lunatics have taken over the asylum
  • Options

Sorry folks but just running around a lot does not make a player and as he is being paid to be a Footballer 100% effort should (although it doesn't apply to the current bunch) be a given. Waggy was never going to be good enough for The Championship and apparently still isn't. Jeez they say nostalgia isn't what it used to be but this is crazy.

next you'll be getting misty eyed over David Button and Simon Church then we know the lunatics have taken over the asylum

why aren't you working? You're getting paid to do a job so should be doing that 100% of the time. Don't think you're good enough for your job tbh.
  • Options
    So surprised Waggy hasn't gone out on loan! 12 minutes of Champ football all season.

Was a useful player. He'd do well at Bradford with Parky there but then again why would you move from Bristol to Bradford!
  • Options
    Rather have Simon Church, Button, Wood, Pritchard and Morrison in the squad than many others atm. All players who contributed and were able to keep Charlton in champ games. Weaknesses yes, but capable players. It'd be interesting to see the differential in wages between Champ players and 2nd string Sporting Lisbon or first string Liga B players. Either way you need a spine of some champ hardened players. As for Wagstaff his poor crossing made him indifferent in the champ on his few games, butcertainly decent in league1.
  • Options
    Simon Church...I remember him almost once getting into a position where he could slash wide/over the bar.

More like a league 2 Peter Crouch.

Those were the days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would anyone else be tempted by the idea of bringing him back and converting him to full back (left)?
  • Options
    I'd hoped he might develop in the way John Robinson did, he certainly had a lot of the same attributes, but lacked a trick and bit of physical strength. Had all the other skills to be a good winger, but lacked a couple of key ingredients to allow him to play at a higher level. Decent in League 1 but not up to the Championship imho. Chris Powell has a reasonable idea trying to convert him to a central attacker, but again he lacked the physical presence.
  • Options

Would anyone else be tempted by the idea of bringing him back and converting him to full back (left)?

Sounds like something Louis van Gaal would find entertaining