Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aussie Open Tennis 2013

Murray's ready to get his first grand slam tournament of the year under way against Robin Haase of the Netherlands in 5 or 10 minutes.

Who do you think will win the tournament? Hard to see past Djokovic in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    I really hope Murray proves to be that rarest of British sporting success stories - i.e. someone who wins a big one and then pushes on to win more, rather than doing it once before losing the hunger and then slipping down the rankings.

Novak has been so dominant in Oz though it's hard to look past him.
  • Options
    Murray has more shots...all depends on who has the best mindset.
  • Options
    More interested in seeing how our ladies get on.
  • Options

More interested in seeing how our ladies get on.

Ladies don't play proper tennis.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Will be interesting to see how the ladies do too, unfortunately can't stay up to watch them or I'll be totally knackered tomorrow!

Murray wins comfortably 6-3 6-1 6-3. Night night.
  • Options
    Aggresive, served well, didnt get out of second gear...thought it would be tougher.
  • Options
    Whatever he does from now on , he won a grand slam
  • Options

I really hope Murray proves to be that rarest of British sporting success stories - i.e. someone who wins a big one and then pushes on to win more, rather than doing it once before losing the hunger and then slipping down the rankings.

There's no way Murray would be happy after just 1 Slam, especially when it wasn't Wimbledon. I'm not sure you can say British sportspeople go to pot after winning one event, Redgrave, Faldo, Steve Davis, Hendry, Hoy, Wiggins etc
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Murray has reached both the Australian and Wimbledon finals previously as well as winning the US Open.

Now he has got the "slam monkey" off his back winning 3 of the 4 slams is a realistic career aspiration which should sustain his motivation.

I'm not sure his game is suited to the French so that could be a step too far although he has reached the semis there previously.
  • Options
    Hope Andy does well , but better to be relaxed about the whole thing , and go into it with confidence and the right attitude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013

There's no way Murray would be happy after just 1 Slam, especially when it wasn't Wimbledon. I'm not sure you can say British sportspeople go to pot after winning one event, Redgrave, Faldo, Steve Davis, Hendry, Hoy, Wiggins etc
    I said it was rare - not unheard of.

For what it's worth, I think Murray has the single minded drive required to push on from winning the US Open but it's far from a racing certainty.

Murray vs Novak certainly seems the most likely final at this tournament although it was hard to get a feel for how well Feds is playing from last night because it was pretty much a walkover. He was barely sweating despite it being mid afternoon in a hot Australian summer.

Serena Williams winning 6-0 6-0 with an injured ankle shows how much of a formality some of these early round matches are.

• Options

Serena Williams winning 6-0 6-0 with an injured ankle shows how much of a formality some of these early round matches are.

Sharapova won 6-0 6-0 overnight for the 2nd round running. She's got through two matches in 102 minutes without dropping a game!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    And Djokovic won 6-1 6-2 6-3 to get through to Round 3.
  • Options
    I think Andy Murray does have the confidence now to win more slams he must take great comfort in knowing that at the US Open he literally ran Novak into the ground meaning that physically he has all that is needed. His former weakness was in the head not being able to really dig in when the going got very tough but that's gone now so would love him to win in Oz that said I would prefer a Wimbledon if that was the choice. Top player is Andy not the most likeable bloke on the surface but hey who cares the boys a great Tennis player.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    One of his coaches is a Charlton fan , and him and Andy were at the Valley a few seasons back , so he's all right in my book , not charasmatic perhaps , maybe its his age , or now that he's won something maybe he'll cheer up a bit :-0
  • Options
    Great win for Laura Robson just now, beating Kvitova 11-9 in the final set
  • Options
    Well played Laura! Got 29th seed in the third round and then an unseeeded player in the 4th. Got a good chance to make QFs.
  • Options
    It's great to have several British players to follow, and there on merit too.
  • Options
    Finally, finally we have some world class tennis players! Well done, Laura.
  • Options
    Seen some excellent tennis so far tonight whilst waiting for Murray and Robson's matches.

Hampton, a young American girl, almost dumped out the World no.1 whilst playing through extreme lower back pain. And now Del Potro is 2-0 down in sets to an unseeded frenchman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah that Del Po vs Chandy game has been a good one. Chandy seems to have 2 shots, a sliced backhand and massive forehand. I've never seen someone run around the ball to get onto their forehand as much as him. I can see why he's so keen to do it though. Will Del Po come back from 2 sets down for the first in his career?

This Lithuanian kid is giving Murray something to think about too.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Del Po has it back at 2-2, looks the likely winner from here.

Murray now serving for the 2nd set too.

Only 1 of the top 16 seeds has been eliminated in the mens draw so far. Wonder if the heat and fitness has played a part in that.
  • Options
    Del P now back to 2-2. Jinxed that one a bit.

And Murray up 2-0 but the Lithuanian has done surprisingly well with nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    Yeah Chandy is a busted flush. I'm having to watch that game because the American ESPN feed i get here in Canada deems that a more interesting game (which it is to the neutral). All those massive forehand winners that he was hitting in the first two sets are turning into unforced errors.

Murray a break up in the third too. Should see it out from here.
  • Options
    May have spoken too soon here Chardy has a break point at 4-3 in the fifth... But missed it.

Has another though.
  • Options
    And Murray about to serve for the match at 5-4.
  • Options
    And breaks. Serving for the match now.
  • Options
    2 match points.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Be excellent for Murray's chances if both Del Potro and Cilic exit his quarter of the draw today. Both can be very dangerous.

Berankis with two break points.

5-5.

Tsonga through 6-2 6-1 6-4.
  • Options
    Only needed one. After all that Del Po is out. That SHOULD open up Murray's half of the draw a little.