Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aussie Open Tennis 2013

Comments

• Options
    Will people still support him when/if Scotland gain independence?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I imagine he'd be taxed out of existance if that happened.

He lives in Surrey as it is - if Scotland is so great, live there !
  • Options
    I thought Murray was half English anyway.

Could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Great performance by Andy Murray should be a stonking final on Sunday
  • Options

LenGlover said:

2 sets all momentum with Fed I fear

you feared unnecessarily. He has the talent but sometimes lacked the toughness needed. Mentally much tougher now and a big monkey off his back today. Well done Andy.

Funny how some want a Scot to lose but were happy for loads of athletes to pick up Olympic medals in the name of Great Britain when they are really foreigners. Strange.

Delighted he proved me wrong.

Finally winning that first slam does seem to have shifted a few demons.

Novak had a fairly easy run to the semis rather like Andy. He brushed a tired Ferrer aside too in the semi.

Andy had to dig deep today and I just wonder if Novak might now be a little undercooked compared to Andy for a war of attrition on Sunday.

It will be fascinating to watch.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Will people still support him when/if Scotland gain independence?

Yep.

I like him. He's a tennis player not a comedian.

He's extremely focused and sometimes a bit shy infront the camera. Who knows what hes like outside the game?! a few celebs seem to get on with him.

A great player and id want him to win if he was just representing Scotland, as much as id want a Scottish or Northern Irish golfer to win a major.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Started playing Scottish in the tie break, hopefully we'll get a British performance in the third.

So glad he didn't play English anyway. Would have been knocked out in the third round ;0)
  • Options
    Both Andy and Novak have had one tough/long match each. Difference is Novak had a quick fire semi-final and now has had his feet up.

I am sure Andy is fit enough for the challenge of Novak but you would prefer to be playing him fresher than he will be.

I am really pleased for Andy that he has well and truely got the Grand Slam monkey off his back. That was his first win over Federer in a Grand Slam.
  • Options

Both Andy and Novak have had one tough/long match each. Difference is Novak had a quick fire semi-final and now has had his feet up.

I am sure Andy is fit enough for the challenge of Novak but you would prefer to be playing him fresher than he will be.

I am really pleased for Andy that he has well and truely got the Grand Slam monkey off his back. That was his first win over Federer in a Grand Slam.

Doh! I forgot Novak had a 5 setter too!

Forget my last post.
  • Options

redcarter said:

Started playing Scottish in the tie break, hopefully we'll get a British performance in the third.

So glad he didn't play English anyway. Would have been knocked out in the third round ;0)
    Haha touche.

Great win!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely we saw at last years Aussie Open that long matches mean nothing to Djokovic. He took 5 hours to beat Murray, then two days later took almost 6 hours to beat Nadal. He literally could play all day.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Surely we saw at last years Aussie Open that long matches mean nothing to Djokovic. He took 5 hours to beat Murray, then two days later took almost 6 hours to beat Nadal. He literally could play all day.

Good point Chris, but Murray can dictate pace because he has more dimensions and has more shot selection, meaning he can make Djokovic play long rallies plus Murray will always make an opponent chase that extra ball down. Murray was knackered at the end of the US final but didnt let Djokovic know it, whereas we could all see that in the last set that Djokovic's legs had gone. Conclusion...Murray has the cooler head and more finesse, so Murray in four for me.

• Options
    Annoyed that I missed the last there sets for what turned out to be a wild goose chase around Colchester. Starting to realise why people dislike estate agents.

Nonetheless, excellent news for Murray. This time last year, he would've lost that.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Annoyed that I missed the last there sets for what turned out to be a wild goose chase around Colchester. Starting to realise why people dislike estate agents.

Nonetheless, excellent news for Murray. This time last year, he would've lost that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qm4hz/Australian_Open_Tennis_2013_SemiFinal_Part_1/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qnr59/Australian_Open_Tennis_2013_SemiFinal_Part_2/

there you go, don't say I never give you anything ;0)
  • Options
    Anyone else find it almost impossible to watch Azarenka with that ridiculous noise she makes each time she hits the ball ?
  • Options
    Azarenka wins it in three sets. Don't like her and don't think I ever will.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Anyone else find it almost impossible to watch Azarenka with that ridiculous noise she makes each time she hits the ball ?

Yes interesting that when keeping warm and serving whilst Li Na was being treated she did so with no noise.
  • Options
    It's done on purpose to add aggression and put off the opponent...thankfully male competitors are more honest.
  • Options
    Perhaps if she made a more attractive noise it might be ok ?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Best odds:

Djokovic 4/7 with PaddyPower

Djokovic 3-0 14/5 bwin
    Djokovic 3-1 10/3 boylesports
    Djokovic 3-2 6/1 boylesports

Murray 7/4 with Bet365

Murray 3-0 10/1 betfair
    Murray 3-1 6/1 betfair
    Murray 3-2 7/1 boylesports
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Don't know how they can say Djokovic is odds on.

Favourite yes, but it's a very very tight contest imo. Both have had to work very hard to get through to the final and the stats say there is no clear advantage for the guy who gets the most rest. Djokvic recovered from a marathon 5 setter against Murray in lasts year semi to win the final so no reason why Murray can't do the same. He's as fit as anyone on the tour and is thinking much more clearly on court these days.

There have been some fantastic matches at this years tournament and I think tomorrows will live up the high standard set.

All that said, I'm going to call for Djokovic to win in 4 long and very tight sets. Murray will get revenge at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Andy Murray is the Tennis equivalent of Wayne Rooney

Roger Federer is the Tennis equivalent of Man United
  • Options

Favourite yes, but it's a very very tight contest imo. Both have had to work very hard to get through to the final and the stats say there is no clear advantage for the guy who gets the most rest. Djokvic recovered from a marathon 5 setter against Murray in lasts year semi to win the final so no reason why Murray can't do the same. He's as fit as anyone on the tour and is thinking much more clearly on court these days.

There have been some fantastic matches at this years tournament and I think tomorrows will live up the high standard set.

All that said, I'm going to call for Djokovic to win in 4 long and very tight sets. Murray will get revenge at Wimbledon.

Surely if favourite in two horse race you have to be odds on?

• Options
    I hear that the commentry for the final is coming all the way from.................Salford !!

Yep, like Sky with the cricket, the BBC have pulled out all the stops to send their commentators all the way up the M6
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely if favourite in two horse race you have to be odds on?

Maybe, I'm not a betting man so I freely admit I don't have the finest understanding of how odds work, or more to the point how bookies have to set the odds in order to make sure they make money out of of any outcome.

Taking financial viability for the bookies out of it, I'd say Djockovic is more like evens to win.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fseiNdfFs8

Anyone fancy a warm-up and got a spare 5 hours and 30? ;-)
  • Options
    Bloody hell, I'm glad I got out of bed - just realized my rubish freeview box has failed to start recording, as it seems to be confused that the coverage has changed from Beeb 1 to 2.

Anyway - pile of toast and coffee on the table, ready to go! Come on Andy!
  • Options
    Come on Andy, it's uh-natural to be up this early on a Sunday, make it worthwhile !
  • Options
    One Sunday every January! Come on Andy.

Djokovic will serve first.